hiko27's Art Thread

Art threads specific to a single artist.
hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

hiko27's Art Thread

#1 Post by hiko27 »

I just realized but I have a sad life. Anyone who wants to be art buddies??? ;A; Someone to talk to about art and critique each other's stuff.
A thread for all my art, from sketches, in-progress shots, to the final work. Feel free to critique, just as long as it's constructive criticism (the good, the bad and how to fix the bad). Below are the links to the updates themselves, so feel free to click them.

But anyways, a little info on my art: I'm self-taught, until recently. I took a life drawing class over the summer of 2014, so you'll see some naked drawings on this thread at some point. I had always been interested in anime and drawing from a very early age. I'm 100% sure I was already into drawing when I was in 3rd grade. Might have been earlier. I'm also very good at drawing girls and skies and landscapes, not so much with guys, animals and probably buildings (I have yet to make a background with buildings). Also, I'm much better at drawing CGs moreso than sprites. I'm also detail-oriented, meaning if your character has a somewhat complicated design, I WILL draw every last detail I could. So feel free to challenge me. I really love drawing stuff that challenges, or introduces me to new things.
REQUESTS:
1. JumpJump
2. Coren
3. sharikah
With that said, here are the samples:
kido-final.png
tumblr_mpjwv8Tzod1s3sc43o1_1280.png
Yoko Izumi-sample.png
sample.png
sample.png (174.98 KiB) Viewed 7247 times
hero2.png
digital1_by_tsunderenyan-d7grzab.png
33242279.png
shinoa-1.png
MC-final1.png
neko-niki.png
Latest Updates:
Last edited by hiko27 on Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:11 am, edited 100 times in total.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: hiko27's Art Thread

#2 Post by chocojax »

The last two look really neat! I love looking at detailed line-work.

(Keep experimenting with coloring! I'm sure you'll find something good. :v)

Although, I looked at the second-to-last image in a higher res through your tumblr. I kinda assumed the small thin thing was sand (like a sandman), but it appears to be clothes that drips down? Looks kinda strange, imo.

hiko27
Veteran

#3 Post by hiko27 »

chocojax wrote:The last two look really neat! I love looking at detailed line-work.

(Keep experimenting with coloring! I'm sure you'll find something good. :v)

Although, I looked at the second-to-last image in a higher res through your tumblr. I kinda assumed the small thin thing was sand (like a sandman), but it appears to be clothes that drips down? Looks kinda strange, imo.
Ah thanks. I love detailed works as well.

That second-to-last one was just a reference for me on how the dress is designed. It does look weird but I had to put that in.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#4 Post by hiko27 »

New ones!
hero2-1.png
ibpf5ehF9GhMi7.png
The screentone is supposed to look like a gradient but resizing it did this orz. The leaves aren't really my art but it's more of a brush that somebody created. The tutorial is here and the link to the brush is in the description in the link. Pictures are self-explanatory, though if someone wants me to explain it, feel free to ask.
Last edited by hiko27 on Fri May 30, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#5 Post by hiko27 »

Here are more updates to this thread. I actually forgot I had one.

The two guys are just recent, meaning I drew them a few hours ago. Each of them took less than 5 minutes. The one with the coloring comparison was last year, I was comparing which kind of highlight style should I go for when I color my sprites. The last one is a sketch of Orihime for an Ulquihime fanart, I couldn't find the finished piece on my laptop... Idk where the hell it went.
Attachments
orihimesketch.png
hair colorstyle.png
guy 2.png
guy.png
My art thread
links to portfolios

Hime Naya
Projects: Ethereal Garden
Organization: Hime Halo Games

#6 Post by Hime Naya »

Oh my goodness! I love your style!!! <3 My favorite is the girl with the screentone gradients. she's so cute <3

hiko27
Veteran

#7 Post by hiko27 »

Hime Naya wrote:Oh my goodness! I love your style!!! <3 My favorite is the girl with the screentone gradients. she's so cute <3
Oh, thank you very much! Hahaha, she looks the most finished one out of every drawing I have in this thread.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#8 Post by hiko27 »

alocrescent1.png
in-progress10.png
Two Gaia commissions I'm currently doing. I can't believe I went back to that site after three years. And I forgot I had an art thread here. Again.

EDIT:
practice.png
Experimental coloring. I love the flat brushes.
My art thread
links to portfolios

redherring

#9 Post by redherring »

Your lineart looks really professional, wow! All your art is so dynamic as well, I really like it. Just a heads-up though, none the links in your first post work anymore except for the tumblr one; you may want to remove them, since they only show error pages anyway, idk.

hiko27
Veteran

#10 Post by hiko27 »

redherring wrote:Your lineart looks really professional, wow! All your art is so dynamic as well, I really like it. Just a heads-up though, none the links in your first post work anymore except for the tumblr one; you may want to remove them, since they only show error pages anyway, idk.
Thank you! I'm going to try lessening the details on my lineart though so that I can make it work with the coloring, something I noticed with CG artworks. And thanks! I'll get to updating them instead in a few minutes.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#11 Post by hiko27 »

Just going to dump all the leftover sketches and studies I have on here.
hero2.png
ravi_by_ryuichiroko-d5wugdz.png
ayeeeeeee_by_tsunderenyan-d7cxuxa.png
33157219.png
chongo_by_tsunderenyan-d7gryyc.png
seohyun___hoot_by_tsunderenyan-d7gryik.jpg
skyclouds.png
jaejoong(edited).png
The third to last one (the one titled seohyun hoot) I didn't manage to scan because it was a gift for a band whose concert I was going to attend and I was crunched for time so... The second to last one was a result of this sky tutorial (which I really recommend). Sadly, the perspective was really off... I should have done it from the bottom, not above. The last one was done throughout one week, in my Spanish class back when I was a senior in high school. I don't have it anymore (I gave it to an English teacher of mine who actually collects all of the artwork I send to him) but good thing I managed to scan it.

Also, the third one with the muscles is more of a muscle study. I should really do more anatomy studies.

I have tons more like a watercolor painting I did for my AP Lit class back then and other sketches but I'm not sure I'm going to post it here.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#12 Post by hiko27 »

Untitled.png
A sketch of a promotional CG for re:Girl. The girl on the lower right... I'm going to have to fix her a bit more. First step of my drawing process? Super rough quick sketch. Since the game's about "awakening the magical girl within," was thinking of making it look like a poster with the quote "Who will you awaken?" since the player can choose from all three girls as to what type of magical girl they want to be.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#13 Post by hiko27 »

cloud sketch.png
Saw some amazing scenery paintings from pixiv yesterday, and I just really want to be as good as them, dang. Pixiv artists are on a whole other level. Just a little sketch in under 10 minutes. Painting clouds is fun, but not really... fulfilling.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#14 Post by hiko27 »

sketch1-1.png
Found this lineart brush setting on Tumblr and decided to play around with it and omg I love it. Excuse any anatomy mistakes, I'm mostly focusing on the flow of her hair, clothes and the folds. Done in less than 20 mins, not sure how long I worked on this.
My art thread
links to portfolios

hiko27
Veteran

#15 Post by hiko27 »

I'm bored as heck so might as well post this. I've always been amazed at how much more... interesting my drawings/poses are when I actually sketch like crazy. So I'm going to be posting my sketch process for one of my Gaia commissions. If you've got questions (if anybody even reads my stuff), feel free to ask here. Don't PM me omg please.
Basic foundation sketch with all the circles. This is where you start with your angles, perspective, etc. All the important stuff, worry about the details later.
Basic foundation sketch with all the circles. This is where you start with your angles, perspective, etc. All the important stuff, worry about the details later.
Lighten the previous layer and add your characters. I do them naked first so I can see if there's any anatomical mistakes. Think of it as dressing up a doll. Add positions for your eyes, it doesn't have to be perfect, just an indicator for the features.
Lighten the previous layer and add your characters. I do them naked first so I can see if there's any anatomical mistakes. Think of it as dressing up a doll. Add positions for your eyes, it doesn't have to be perfect, just an indicator for the features.
Hide the previous layer and check if there's anything wrong. Feel free to have another pair of eyes look at your work. Actually, I recommend it. I have either my bestfriend or a friend who has an artistic eye comment on any mistakes that you might have missed. I might have some here since it's so late now (it's like almost 4am here).
Hide the previous layer and check if there's anything wrong. Feel free to have another pair of eyes look at your work. Actually, I recommend it. I have either my bestfriend or a friend who has an artistic eye comment on any mistakes that you might have missed. I might have some here since it's so late now (it's like almost 4am here).
Lower the opacity for the second layer and add another layer for the details. I use two layers, one for each color, black for the hair and other stuff, red for clothes. It helps you differentiate which is which as it gets messier and messier. Feel free to separate other stuff on another layer with a different color (I use blue after I use red). I don't usually use more than three colors (black, red, blue). You don't have to go crazy on details, just something that'll help you know which one goes where.
Lower the opacity for the second layer and add another layer for the details. I use two layers, one for each color, black for the hair and other stuff, red for clothes. It helps you differentiate which is which as it gets messier and messier. Feel free to separate other stuff on another layer with a different color (I use blue after I use red). I don't usually use more than three colors (black, red, blue). You don't have to go crazy on details, just something that'll help you know which one goes where.
And there's your final sketch. It's not perfect, but it's definitely better than what I started off with. Expression actually looks nicer than with the smiling eyes. I tend to erase anything that won't show in the final drawing so that's usually the black lines (for body) that's underneath the clothes, so as to not distract you.
And there's your final sketch. It's not perfect, but it's definitely better than what I started off with. Expression actually looks nicer than with the smiling eyes. I tend to erase anything that won't show in the final drawing so that's usually the black lines (for body) that's underneath the clothes, so as to not distract you.
I usually keep my sketches until I'm done with them, so I might add some more progress shots if anybody tells me to (read: reply if you want more) xD And hopefully, that helps someone out there?

Edit: Too lazy to resize all of them so bear with the really big resolution. I work with 2000x3000 in 300dpi all the time. For horizontal, I flip that around.
My art thread
links to portfolios