List of Expressions

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
SHiNKiROU
Regular

List of Expressions

#1 Post by SHiNKiROU »

I'm not sure about how many expressions to draw for each character and the most common expressions, so I need some statistics. If you have an in-progress or finished visual novel, what are all the expressions (normal, happy, sad, angry, etc.) of the characters? What are the most often used expressions? List for main and side characters.

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: List of Expressions

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

SHiNKiROU wrote:I'm not sure about how many expressions to draw for each character and the most common expressions, so I need some statistics. If you have an in-progress or finished visual novel, what are all the expressions (normal, happy, sad, angry, etc.) of the characters? What are the most often used expressions? List for main and side characters.
That is going to vary tremendously based on the personalities of your characters and the story script. To save myself grief, I finish the script first, then go through and count up how many different expressions I need for each individual character based off the scenes. Then I look for duplicates, or similar expressions that could be condensed into one. Then I make ANOTHER pass, and try to whittle down the list again.

Then I sit down and have a good long cry, because my list is still too long.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3 Post by MaiMai »

Or you can use this template of 25 Essential Expressions: http://napalmnacey.deviantart.com/art/2 ... s-55523083
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Vilhelmina
Regular
Organization: Cassis Connection Studios

#4 Post by Vilhelmina »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote: That is going to vary tremendously based on the personalities of your characters and the story script.
I agree with this! I don't have any set of base expressions I use for all characters, rather I try to get a feel for their personality and figure out what I need from there. It's a bit like acting, really (in fact; yes, I do try the expressions out in front of a mirror as well). Having the script in front of me helps, although if that's not finished yet (I usually develop art and script side by side) then I go with the flow of the personality.

I also tend to draw one facial feature changed at a time (a couple of tilted eyebrows, a smirking mouth etc) on a separate layer, as opposed to the whole facial expression at a time. That way I can recombine the different parts of any expression to make new composite ones. That's usually how I come up with my favourites.

For the project I'm working on now, the finished sprites have between ten and twenty expressions.
Artist/writer by night, MD/PhD student by day
Looking for medical fact checking / advice for your game? PM me!

art gallery: Vilhelmina @ deviantART | Founder of Cassis Connection Studios

truefaiterman
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes of the Codex War. [ASH] The Seeds of Destruction
Projects: One Night of [SNOW], Stained with Magic
Deviantart: truefaiterman

#5 Post by truefaiterman »

You may like this, you can test a lot of expressions with this:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomiaIng.html
Artist and voice actor, trying to actually write stuff.

ArtStation portfolio
Youtube channel

Recent finished projects:

Image Image