Stained with Magic - Volume One Released!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Daarkess
Regular
Completed: University Projects (Political Vikings; Hexa Wars; ImaginAlien; Cubo)
Projects: Stained with Magic; Magnicity
Organization: Hikage Studios

Stained with Magic - Volume One Released!

#1 Post by Daarkess »

Project Stained with Magic
Genre(s): Science Fiction; Magic; Drama; Action; Mystery; Psychological; Romance
Type: Visual Novel (Release via Volumes)
Game Status: Currently in development (Volume One Released)
News Updates: 5 January 2017
Update 2017/01/05 - Takeda Yoko
"He walks the floor, careful to touch each stone only once, counting. He cannot purge his mind of the thoughts." -The Heart, Dishonored
The addition of a new character and some musings...
http://stainedwithmagic.hikagestudios.com/
Stained with Magic Has Been Released
The interactive game is newer than ever, as it contains updates to almost having all of our planned content for the game.

Download the game via our website: http://stainedwithmagic.hikagestudios.com/download/
Development Team:
Cameron Leavesley: Lead Designer/ Author, Writer, Artist, Programmer
Enrique Carmena: Character Art (Line-Art)
Guku Pu: Character Art (Rendering)
Shiroinosaruva05: Background Artist, Web-developer
TerracottaPie: Composer, Audio Engineer
Thankthebear: Head-Writer
(Visit the website for a list of developers who have helped us in the past.)
Current Completion Percentages
- Main Game Script: 100%
- Additional Script: 100%
- Character Art Assets: 100%
- Background Art Assets: 100%
- GUI and Misc. Art Assets: 100%
- Music: 100%
- Audio: 100%
- Programming: 100%
(Numbers are in reference to volume one.)
Game Features:
  • >Immersive gameplay and story-based interactive decisions
    >Three alternate endings
    > Interactive Quick-Time-Event Combat
    >Interactive ‘debates’ that influence the player’s attributes and influence relationships
    >Numerous locations within the city of Tokyo
    >Digitally produced backgrounds featuring hidden items
    >An in-game social networking feature that allows dynamic interaction with characters
    >Various achievements to be unlocked during gameplay
    >Two playable characters: Fukuda Ryota & Sophie Belleamie
Synopsis:
“Whether bound by fate or chance, a man will always fight to regain his will.”
— Unknown
In the year 2036, human civilization has reached a new scientific era: technological innovation is widespread and industrialization is at its zenith. Conversely, the societies of the occult have been pushed to the brink of extinction. As their numbers dwindle, mages find themselves pushed further into the shadows—forced to retreat from annihilation at the hands of criminal syndicates.

For most, the machinations of the underworld are relegated to myth and legend. People live in ignorant bliss, contented with the technological advancement that has eased their burdens. In Tokyo, the nexus of industrial power, Fukuda Ryota remains unaware of the clandestine conflicts that plague the city. But a fateful encounter with the enigmatic Sophie Belleamie will change his life forever, plunging him into the depths of a world he never dreamed existed.

With his destiny now intertwined with this mysterious girl, an “Executor” of the Russian Church, Ryota finds himself on the run from the nefarious magi hunter—the Whispering Shadow—and pursued by the infamous criminal organization, The Silent Workers. But as he explores the dark world of magic, he realizes that his life, and the future, will be changed forever.

Cast:
The following are characters to be featured in the game. There are more characters to be revealed. View the website for images, artwork, and detailed descriptions.

Primary Playable Protagonist: Fukuda Ryota:
"The greatest wisdom lies in the shadows."
A nineteen-year-old male attending his first year in university, Ryota is a calm, introspective individual who trusts his intellect above all else. Extremely analytical, he prefers studying the inner workings of human nature rather than immersing himself in society. Possessing an independent and self-reliant nature, his thirst for knowledge is insatiable. By chance, he becomes involved in the search for the Whispering Shadow and is consequently thrust into the world of magic and the occult.

Playable Character: Sophie Feodorovna Belleamie:
“The passion in our hearts is eternal.”
A victim of the devastating Euro Zone War, Sophie escaped a ravaged France as a young child. She spent months wandering the countryside, her personality hardening as the chaos of war engulfed the continent. She eventually made her way into Russia, where her inherent lethality drew the attention of the Russian Orthodox Church. Recruited into the Church’s “Executor” program, Sophia has subsequently risen through the ranks to become one of its deadliest agents.
In recent months, Sophie has been sent to Japan to investigate the string of deaths surrounding the Whispering Shadow, working with her handler Ivan to discover the truth behind the grisly murders.
Sophie is a combat and magical prodigy, excelling in Russian Style Holy Magic and Creationism and displaying advanced martial proficiency. Despite her ruthless professionalism, Sophie exhibits a surprising playfulness to her friends, perhaps a lingering remnant of the innocent child she once was.

The Whispering Shadow:
“If humankind is crafted in God’s image, then the Shadow is truly the reflection of hell.” –Unknown
A being of unmatched power and devastating magical proficiency, the Whispering Shadow has come to be feared by all. With its identity concealed, the only true knowledge the world has on this strange creature is that is an adept practitioner of a dark, unknown magic. Leaving a wake of destruction and chaos across the world, the Shadow has recently come to Tokyo, though the reasons for its arrival in the city are a mystery to all.

Alexa Sanders:
“The chains of the past will always bind us.”
In the midst of the Euro Zone War, Alexa was abandoned by her family as they desperately fled across the continent. Taken in by the Silent Workers, she was trained as a child soldier and melded into a perfect killer.
The subsequent years of psychological torture and physical abuse wore on Alexa, and she is now nothing more than a shell of the person she once was. Distrustful of everyone and embittered at the callousness of humanity, she currently follows the Silent Workers in quiet servitude.

The Listener:
“The will of men is easily broken.”
Cold, ruthless, calculating—the Listener is the embodiment of the Silent Worker ideal. And for those who brave the underworld of Tokyo, he has come to be the manifestation of fear. With a keen intellect and unmatched strategic prowess, the Listener rose quickly in the Silent Worker ranks, swiftly becoming the Black Hand’s most trusted lieutenant. Acting as the leader’s eyes and ears, the Listener has become an invaluable asset, and the Silent Workers have become a formidable force under his cruel leadership. However, his true talents lie in the realm of information gathering, and horrifying stories of his sadistic treatment of captives have unnerved his closest allies.

Kiyoshi Amaya:
“Mankind will always condemn that which it cannot understand.”
Talented and intelligent, Amaya Kiyoshi is one of the most promising students in Tokyo. However, her silent intensity often intimidates those around her, and the necessity of hiding her magical abilities has resulted in a cold detachment from her peers. Amaya has few relationships of note, but she extends fierce loyalty to those who manage to get close to heart and exhibits unconditional protectiveness over her remaining family.

Kiyoshi Suki:
“Without belief, we are nothing.”
Like her older sister Amaya, Suki is a magus of the renowned Kiyoshi family. But while her sister maintains an air of cold deference, Suki is energetic and temperamental. She is fiercely territorial about her friends and is eager to prove her magical proficiency to her family. However, her passion for magic has fuelled an insatiable hunger for power, and she has begun to study darker magics with the hope of augmenting her abilities.

Mori Tadou:
“A life of ambition can only lead to disappointment.”
A close friend of Ryota’s, Tadou is a self-proclaimed otaku with a deep interest in visual novels and history. Despite his inherent intelligence, Tadou prefers a life of leisure and neglects his studies, choosing instead to spend time out with his friends or playing video games.

Kiyoshi Sarah:
“A guiding hand is a precious gift.”
The wife of Satoru Kiyoshi, Sarah was one of the founding members of the Abyss Company. With the company now defunct in the wake of Satoru’s disappearance, Sarah has focused on raising her two daughters Amaya and Suki. Sarah’s motherly kindness and relaxed personality in no way imply diminishing skill, as she continues to remain one of the most powerful mages in Tokyo and greater Japan.

Soundtrack Samples:
A few select samples from the game’s soundtrack. Click on the link below to have a listen.
Stained with Magic Sample Playlist - https://soundcloud.com/stainedwithmagic ... ck-samples
Screenshots and Character Art:
View our website for more concept art and screenshots.
Advice From Other Developers
We’d love to hear your feedback and opinion of our game with respect to the following elements:
  • 1. What are your thoughts about the game’s story and narrative?
    2. Do the main characters interest you?
    3. How do you feel about the game’s artwork?
    4. How do you feel after playing the first game?
    5. Are there any additional gameplay elements you think would benefit the game’s appeal?
    6. Since release, has anything been bugging you concerning the game or how the game is available?
I would really like to receive opinions from other like-minded developers. Every thought does help us out.
We also like to receive your support on our Twitter and Facebook pages.

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for future updates!

Important Links:
Demo#1 + Prologue Download: http://stainedwithmagic.hikagestudios.com/download/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Stained_Magic
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hikagestudios.stainedwithmagic
Trailer#1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg8yhr5aXxs
Last edited by Daarkess on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 46 times in total.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

Re: Stained with Magic [Supernatural; Sci-Fi][Visual Novel E

#2 Post by Haze »

Overall, the story sounds pretty interesting, and your characters sound pretty cool; I like their various quotes. Plus, achievements! One question, though: are you sure you want your story in Tokyo? I noticed that you guys are located in Australia, so why not have your story there and put locations in your story based on places you know?
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence
Organization: Anansi Media

#3 Post by tnm6 »

Thanks for the feedback Haze! Our team is actually a "digital studio" in that the majority of us are from different countries (i.e. Australia, Germany, the United States), so centering our game in Australia would still be a bit "limiting" since not many of us are familiar with the staples of that country (in fact, based upon our love of Japanese culture and games, I would argue that our biggest area of overlap is our knowledge of Japanese society and culture). However, to further assuage your doubts, our game designer is actually proficient in the Japanese language--as it is his major at uni--and, since he is planning to live there upon graduation, is very knowledgable about the city. :)

Daarkess
Regular
Completed: University Projects (Political Vikings; Hexa Wars; ImaginAlien; Cubo)

#4 Post by Daarkess »

Character Concept Art One
Character concept art created for two of the revealed characters.
Fukuda Ryota.jpg
Alexa Sanders.jpg
Stained with Magic - Chasing Shadows - - A magic/sci-fi fusion epic split across multiple chapters.

tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence

#5 Post by tnm6 »

The main post has been updated :)

tnm6
Regular

#6 Post by tnm6 »

UPDATE 9/10/13: New concept art for several characters is listed below. For those interested, the stylization used for Sawa is the format we intend to implement within the game.

1.) Ryota

(Full-Size)

2.) The Whispering Shadow

(Full-Size)

3.) Sawa

(Full-Size)

Feel free to leave any comments about both the game and the artwork!

-Taylor
Last edited by tnm6 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

#7 Post by Katta »

Ryota's appearance doesn't seem to fit with his description, he looks more like a delinquent not interested in studying, than an intelligent and calculating type) Maybe he is pretending...

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#8 Post by Googaboga »

The synopsis sounds really interesting. Also I love Sawa's design. Good luck with the project I look forward to playing it someday :].
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

tnm6
Regular

#9 Post by tnm6 »

Katta wrote:Ryota's appearance doesn't seem to fit with his description, he looks more like a delinquent not interested in studying, than an intelligent and calculating type) Maybe he is pretending...
You wound me Katta :P

But, in all honesty, I think that's a great point. We'll try to tone down the 'roguish' vibe he seems to be emanating :)

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#10 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Looks very promising and can't wait to play this! I think the rouge vibe stems from his stance. It's very laid back/nonchalant in stark contrast to the stiff or even cocky stance of a brainy type. Just my thoughts though ^^ Love Sawa's look as well.
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#11 Post by merdeamour »

The story sounds good, and I love the art! I'm cheering you guys on~
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Daarkess
Regular

#12 Post by Daarkess »

-
Last edited by Daarkess on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stained with Magic - Chasing Shadows - - A magic/sci-fi fusion epic split across multiple chapters.

TerracottaPie
Regular
Organization: Hikage Studios, Leveretta dev.

#13 Post by TerracottaPie »

Hello everyone. We appreciate the comments and feedback and would love to hear more.

As one of the things that hasn't been shown yet, here's a highlight from the Stained with Magic soundtrack.

Coalescence

Hope you all enjoy.

tnm6
Regular

#14 Post by tnm6 »

Googaboga wrote:The synopsis sounds really interesting. Also I love Sawa's design. Good luck with the project I look forward to playing it someday :].
Thanks for the support!
Hazel-Bun wrote:Looks very promising and can't wait to play this! I think the rouge vibe stems from his stance. It's very laid back/nonchalant in stark contrast to the stiff or even cocky stance of a brainy type. Just my thoughts though ^^ Love Sawa's look as well.
We appreciate the feedback. It's nice to get input on the concept art so we can make the appropriate design changes as the development process continues.
merdeamour wrote:The story sounds good, and I love the art! I'm cheering you guys on~
Thank you!!

tnm6
Regular

#15 Post by tnm6 »

UPDATE 9/12/13: More character art has been added. As always, we'd love to hear your input!

4.) Amaya

(Full-Size)

5.) Ami

(Full-Size)