Please support me

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
chisa-chan
Regular

Please support me

#1 Post by chisa-chan »

It is hard time for me nowadays. The national exam and school exam have ended, and I only need to complete some unfinished tests.

The announcement of result of national exam is June 23rd (if I was right).

The only thing I feel uncomfortable is the fact that many of those who cheated in last year's exam were passed the exam and entered to favorite high schools, while many of those who didn't cheat (and clever)? They failed.

Send me your support and prayer so I am going to pass the exam with good grades. Hope there is no same incident as last year. Yuck, I hate cheating in exams.
Kalau tidak suka ya jangan diladeni, gitu aja kok repot™.
Cynanthia's Blog (Indonesian)

Mr. E
Regular

#2 Post by Mr. E »

Well, you can't change the test after you've done it, so no need to worry about it, right? What will be, will be.
You don't need suport, you are strong! The fact that you didn't cheat, even when you saw how unfair it could be, shows that you have a strong personality! If only many people were as strong as you... :roll:

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

Cheaters are bad. Life is unfair, but cheating is still bad. I hope that karma exists just for that reason :P... Be proud of not being a cheater!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by DaFool »

Give it your best shot. (edit: wait...you're done already? Good luck then.)

But in any case, education is over-rated. Prices are inflated, classrooms are crowded, facilities are second-rate, and they don't guarantee you a job anymore no matter how many degrees you pile on top of each other.
I never got why asian education has always been ultra-competitive for no reason (although western education is currently going to the dumps as well).

The important thing is that the education teaches you how to think, not what to think...there lies true innovation.

The important thing is you pick up serious skills. And cheating doesn't allow one to do that. So screw your classmates.

Failure is not the end of the world. There are other options. I dislike the grade-conscious nature of asian society, and why some people even commit suicide over such small matters. Grades don't really determine your understanding of a subject matter. [cliche phrase]Back in my day[/cliche phrase], I got 2 F's. I also got an A+ on one of the subjects I failed in previously. Do I use that subject now (Differential Equations and Vector Calculus)? Hell no.

I've said more than I've probably should...but since you're probably be subjected to 6+ more years of test-taking and grades, a little bit of hindsight might help.

Best of wishes to your endeavors.

edit: I also just realized how cheat-proof my college engineering exams were:

* open-book
* open-notes
* you even get to write your own formula tables as long as it fits on one sheet of paper, back and forth
* if you just indicate your answer without clear step-by-step derivation leading up to it, you get the answer wrong. The correct answer lies in the proof.

Someone tell me how one can cheat with those kinds of rules.

In my whole time in school, nowhere else did I experience any tests where you are allowed EVERY course material right in front of you during the test, and the median grades were still 49% or less (scaled, of course :D ). That taught me to respect people more who took hard-ass subjects even when they got mediocre grades as compared to people who only took easy subjects so they can get straight A's.

Jake
Support Hero

#5 Post by Jake »

DaFool wrote:Someone tell me how one can cheat with those kinds of rules.
Well, if you were to carry into the exam a set of perfect pre-prepared answers it would become an exercise in transcribing rather than thinking, which defeats the point. You'd have to obtain a copy of the exam and/or marking scheme early enough to prepare the answers, and if you thought you needed to cheat in the first place you'd probably also need the help of someone actually skilled in the field, but history shows that there are plenty of people on both sides of the exam process willing to exchange sums of money for such things...

But yeah, I like the idea of open-book exams. It's always seemed pretty pointless to grade someone's skill in a subject based on how well they can remember lots of information that they'd have available as reference any time they were using their qualification at work anyway...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

DaFool wrote:I dislike the grade-conscious nature of asian society, and why some people even commit suicide over such small matters. Grades don't really determine your understanding of a subject matter.

Me too. I agree.

Jake wrote:But yeah, I like the idea of open-book exams. It's always seemed pretty pointless to grade someone's skill in a subject based on how well they can remember lots of information that they'd have available as reference any time they were using their qualification at work anyway...
If only law school was approached by our educators in this manner. You really need to look at and have references handy in actual practice anyway, or else you'd get scolded by the judge coming to court unprepared. But nooo! It has to be 90% memory work for the Philippine law student. The multiple choice entrance exams based on U.S. standards was much fairer. They just presented you with a bunch of made-up laws and definitions and then a situation requiring you to apply the made-up info you were given.

chisa-chan: Don't mind the cheaters. There's no satisfaction or honor in knowing that you passed an exam through cheating. You'd always feel and know that you are mediocre compared to the people who passed by their own merits.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Twar3Draconis
Regular

#7 Post by Twar3Draconis »

Hope that it all turns out well, chisa.

If it all come down to it, even if you don't make it good, you can still be proud. Unlike those cheaters and their hollow victory. In anyway, you'll have better karma.
We'll see who ends up as a rat after reincarnation...

There's more worth for getting through something on hard work, and your own skills. Don't mind the cheaters, their getting nothing out of it.

Well, that's what I see, and good luck.

@DaFool: It's like that in the United States. I pretty much have to choose between A's and B's, and reduced privileges and pain.

chisa-chan
Regular

#8 Post by chisa-chan »

Jake wrote:But yeah, I like the idea of open-book exams. It's always seemed pretty pointless to grade someone's skill in a subject based on how well they can remember lots of information that they'd have available as reference any time they were using their qualification at work anyway...
My friend's teacher (has retired last year) always did open-book exams in her social education and history tests. But not sure why their scores never get good (smallest score is 7.5 of 10, while they get 6 of 10).

Today's exam:
- Indonesian: listening to five news, wrote their main ideas, and rewrite them to short paragraphs. After that skimming test, answered the questions for 7 minutes (20 questions, we used computer-scanned answer sheet).

My friends got mad at this.

Tomorrow:
- Singing in groups
- Biology, not sure what the exam is. It should be experiments, but the fact.... memorizing again and write the answers
- Indonesian, reading poems in groups

I will not give up!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by DaFool »

Gambatte ne!
chisa-chan wrote:My friend's teacher (has retired last year) always did open-book exams in her social education and history tests. But not sure why their scores never get good (smallest score is 7.5 of 10, while they get 6 of 10).
Especially when questions require proofs (if math questions) or essays (if verbal questions), then the teacher can really pick apart your understanding of a subject matter. Which is actually good.

Twar3Draconis
Regular

#10 Post by Twar3Draconis »

Biology, huh? No fun. I just took the exam on that today... At least I got to skip the rest of school (3 hours).

Let's hope you don't end up taking an AP level exam for that.

chisa-chan
Regular

#11 Post by chisa-chan »

Twar3Draconis wrote:Biology, huh? No fun. I just took the exam on that today... At least I got to skip the rest of school (3 hours).
It is quite a mess yesterday. I usually get out from the school around 12 PM in exam days, but I did not know what happened to the biology test's progress.

My class (9-11) is the last (and is said to be the smartest and most annoying) class, and we hardly waited until 4 PM until we finally took our turn for the exam (10 students per turn, so from 11 classes took around 55 turns). I thought it was really an experiment, but... it was a written test, where we should take a look at some objects and answer the questions, unlike what promised before. Boring, isn't it? What a time wasting.

Note: There are 10 questions in biology, so it should take 10 minutes per turn... I wonder what happened to those teachers.

I only need to take some exams I haven't taken back then on Friday, after that full break for one month.... Ahhh....

(I might be the most patient one to wait for biology exam. My class president was very mad and she referred the biology teacher as 'Mrs. Fungi' / 'Mrs. Mushroom' because of her mushroom-like hair) :)