OUYA - The console for $99 that supports Android

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: OUYA - The console for $99 that supports Android

#46 Post by jack_norton »

Cool. By the way, my test failed and got this message:
Unfortunately we can't yet distribute Heileen (1.2.1) on OUYA.

Here is our team's feedback. Please consider it. We'd be thrilled if you resubmitted. Nice little game, but navigation (particularly Options and Save game screens) was only possible with the controller Touchpad, which is okay if you call out use of the Touchpad on those screens. Additionally, when the game asks the user to press “Q” for Quest Log this needs to be changed to “O button” or something else the user will recognize with the OUYA controller Using the Touchpad to select the “Q” on screen is okay, if you message this to the user.

Can you also double check that the game is killing music onPause? I believe it is not, but it is hard to tell if there is just a delay in killing the music since many musical segments are of a short duration. Thanks!
of course ignore the "Q" thing :) but basically options and load save would be OK if you advise to use the touchpad. I think I really should get a console too to test... even if buying from UK is quite expensive with shipping costs and everything.
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

MikeConway

#47 Post by MikeConway »

Great! I look forward to seeing it appear.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#48 Post by PyTom »

Honestly, I don't think the OUYA touchpad works well enough to ask users to rely on it.

Thankfully, by default the OUYA emulates the keyboard Ren'Py is familiar with. So if your game is playable with the keyboard (arrow keys, plus page-up for rollback and escape to access the menu) it should work well with OUYA.

That being said - I'd treat the OUYA as its own platform, for now. (There may be a few Android consoles joining it shortly.) You should design for it, in the same way you'd design for a tablet or a pc.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#49 Post by jack_norton »

Yes and that (for commercial game authors like me) brings the question "is worth it"? :) Right now doesn't seem it got much attention. I am thinking that an official console from a big player like Google could beat the OUYA in a few months. Anyway for now I'll wait and see what happens :)
computer games

MikeConway

#50 Post by MikeConway »

PyTom wrote:Thankfully, by default the OUYA emulates the keyboard Ren'Py is familiar with.
What's great about it is that the OUYA uses bluetooth technology, and as a result, it does take a wireless keyboard quite nicely. I have an older wireless Logitech keyboard with a trackpad, and it does the job nicely.

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#51 Post by netravelr »

Just got my Ouya last night. I'll be writing a more in depth review later on my blog, but overall it seems like a nice little machine. That being said, there doesn't seem to be much at all in terms of games in it aside from the platformer section. RPGs in general it seem there is little to pick from, and I actually did a search for visual novels and found nothing... I'm gonna try to get Culina working on it eventually, but right now my focus is on the PC release.
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#52 Post by PyTom »

Moonlight Walks was submitted early Monday morning (say, 12:30 AM EDT) and was approved at 1:31 PM Tuesday - so about 2 days turnaround time. I fairly quickly pushed the publish button, and it's now up in the OUYA store.

There weren't any particular problems with the approval process, but I did take some time to make the game OUYA-compatible. For example, I added some spacing between the game and the bottom of the screen, since some TVs do not display the entire HDMI image. Another change was to make sure that focused buttons in the gallery had a highlight, so the user knows what he has selected. Finally, I added some code to display help before the game starts - that's in the cookbook already.

There were some minor engine changes that will be in the next release of Ren'Py/RAPT, but the changes to MW itself took maybe an hour or so? The big issue I have is that the quick menu of the default games displays off-screen, so we may want to move that, or I may want to add an option that shrinks the screen by 10%.

Moonlight Walks is in the Sandbox section right now - it takes some number of votes (50?) to be promoted to the main section of the OUYA store. So if you have an OUYA, please upvote Moonlight Walks, if you like it.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#53 Post by noeinan »

I just checked the forum because Moonlight Walks showed up in the Sandbox! I am super excited, downloaded and liked. I look forward to seeing other people's games on Ouya, too! :D

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#54 Post by jack_norton »

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1998 ... e_race.php
the new PS Vita TV will cost $100 too, and can play Android games straight off the bat (besides you get also the PSP and PS Vita games as well, obviously). I don't see a bright future ahead for Ouya...
computer games

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#55 Post by SundownKid »

Well, considering that this console can play any Vita or PS Mobile game, the Ouya is in deep trouble. Putting full commercial games up against the Ouya's F2P stuff is no contest, really. If they can manage to patch the touch screen Vita games to play with a controller, I can see it becoming very popular.

Still, at least the Ouya provided the genesis for the idea of the console, and forced Sony to release this in the first place. And maybe with this new competition, Ouya will be forced to step it up or fail.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#56 Post by jack_norton »

I just had a clarification from twitter: it can't just run ANY Android games, they need to work with PS Mobile, some kind of middleware stuff from Sony. So that's a bit different. But yeah, even if Ouya disappears, at least started the trend of Android consoles which personally I think is cool. I would just like a really OPEN console, where if I wanted I can sell the games for a fixed price and not be forced to use IAP / F2P stuff...
computer games

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#57 Post by SundownKid »

Well, Unity is going to be coming out with Vita compatibility soon. Combine that with Playstation's large amount of indies and the upcoming Vita Slim, and people might even prefer Vita over Android. It would probably let you price your games at a normal price and advertise them effectively, too.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#58 Post by LVUER »

But to use Vita TV (or Unity), you first have to buy the Vita itself, which is not that good and quite expensive.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#59 Post by SundownKid »

LVUER wrote:But to use Vita TV (or Unity), you first have to buy the Vita itself, which is not that good and quite expensive.
Perhaps you may be mistaken - Vita TV is a console in itself, so the Vita isn't necessary to buy. If it works on the Vita TV, it will probably work the same on Vita.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#60 Post by jack_norton »

Read this today:
http://www.sophiehoulden.com/rose-and-t ... r-on-ouya/
I didn't follow much all the buzz (too busy doing other stuff) but if what the blog says is true... :roll:
computer games