How Often Do You Draw?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

Re: How Often Do You Draw?

#31 Post by Didules »

Aviala wrote:I agree with some of the earlier posts: If you want to be good at art, you need to study it too, not just draw. Drawing people from reference can greatly improve your anatomy skills, which are always needed when you draw people. Even anime people. Before you can draw good-looking stylished anatomy (anime anatomy for example), you need to learn the basics of real anatomy.
I also agree with that (drawing = improving when you varie style/pose/type of character too, it's not just "I draw so I'll get better"), but I have to say that I never opened an anatomy book or a "how to draw" book or anything of this kind. I don't know if it exists in english but I am "self taught" which is a big mistake because now I lack some things and I have to re-learn some parts T.T
Also, unfortunately I have to take back what I say, even now that I've started studying again I still find the time to draw every day a little (and I'm not doing well at my school :? ) Does anyone knows how to stop an addiction like this? :(
Last edited by Didules on Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vilhelmina
Regular
Organization: Cassis Connection Studios

#32 Post by Vilhelmina »

It depends on what you count as drawing? I doodle on things constantly, pretty much as soon as I sit down in front of the tv, in class or even in meetings (it helps me keep my focus).
But serious digital painting things I do maybe 2-3 times a week?
Artist/writer by night, MD/PhD student by day
Looking for medical fact checking / advice for your game? PM me!

art gallery: Vilhelmina @ deviantART | Founder of Cassis Connection Studios

SHiNKiROU
Regular

#33 Post by SHiNKiROU »

I want to draw at least 15 minutes everyday, but maybe drawing during lectures is off-limits due to weird factors.

hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

#34 Post by hiko27 »

Most of the time, I draw every other day or everyday because I have art classes and I doodle whenever I get bored and I'm away from the professor's line of sight. Over the summer though, I tend to draw less and less. I've been drawing digitally nowadays as opposed to traditional.

I don't think I can draw everyday single day though since I'm tired of drawing the same thing over and over again. I take a break to get inspired or just for the sake of taking a breather.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

doudoulolita

#35 Post by doudoulolita »

I'm affraid I have not enough time to draw more than once or twice a week now that I'm working but when I was younger, I drew a lot more and my skills improved with exercice. Now I feel I have to learn again each time I make a sketch. Drawing with the wacom tablet is still very difficult for me as I don't practice enough.

If you don't have a painting or drawing class to draw with models, a good exercice is to go in a parc, a bar or any public place to draw the people you see as quickly as you can. You can draw their face or the whole body.
I also make small videos of friends walking, running or fighting (for fun !) and use Kdenlive to get still pictures from the video. This helps me to draw movement and my sprites looks more realistic.

I take chinese picture classes twice a month, this is good to use ink and brush allright. I thought I wouldn't like to copy paintings but copying masters forces you to look accurately on the model.

It's also important to learn perpective to draw houses or buildings. I read books from time to time on the subject but I suppose you can find it on internet too.

Dream
Regular

#36 Post by Dream »

I draw every day. Usually 5-6 hours a day, 1-2 hours on a day where i feel the need to take it easy. Aiming for 10-12 hours a day.

I also go to an art school 3 times a week, 2 hours mondays and wednesdays and 4 hours fridays.

It should probably be noted that i have the intention of being profesional artist and don't have any responsibility (like a job or school) at the moment.

Golden.Fleece
Regular
Projects: Maienzauber
Organization: Golden Fleece Creative Productions

#37 Post by Golden.Fleece »

I used to draw by impulse and like every hour - but now due to already working I can only draw intermittently. That sad feels. ;_;

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#38 Post by Laniessa »

I pretty much doodle 80% of my class time, whether they're nonsensical doodles or head-shots to full-body drawings with pencil shading, but to sit down with the express purpose of drawing, to paint / line / sketch a work digitally is, well, once a fortnight, or something very-not-often, ashamedly. It would probably help if I had a scanner like I used to, but nope!

I wanted to comment on the 'learn proper anatomy etc before learning to draw' thing, though. I whole-heartedly agree; that is the best way, but people may only pursue things such as lighting, colour theory, and anatomy after they have a passion for art, which I gained from drawing manga-styled art (...well, stylised art, at least), and if I didn't begin with that, I probably never would have bothered trying to study and expand into fine art. So, wouldn't it be better to encourage people to, well, start drawing first, with simple drawings they feel like they can follow, rather than dropping them right into all these complicated matters of, well, artsy stuff?

I mean, that's how I and my friends started off. (One of them is attending art-high school, studying to go abroad, and the other is planning on entering art-uni, if that's what it's called. I'm keeping it as a hobby that I'm really, really into.) But then again, I don't know! Everyone is different, so beginners should try to learn form / shading / artsy-stuff and see if they have an interest in it from the get-go, I guess?

sorry for going off-tangent i am very gomen

Nepitelle

#39 Post by Nepitelle »

I don't really draw that often...just once or twice a week.
On rare occasions, I feel really inspired and I get to draw 3 times a day for a whole week.
That only happens during summer vacations. ; u ;

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#40 Post by Starshine »

I draw in my spare time, let's say when i have time to spare and when i'm not stressed. I probably need to do some more doodles with pencil and paper. The only problem i have is scrapping up the pieces i hate and i end up with a room full of scrapped paper, even though i have a rubber but choose not to use it. (I hate the dust it leaves when being used) I also love using SAI, the brushes are very smooth.
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

FrozenApple66
Regular
Projects: Lunescara (Hiatus) The Cottage (NaNo16)
Organization: Pink Squirrel Games

#41 Post by FrozenApple66 »

Every other day... at least. Unless I have no access to a computer XD But even then, I draw in a traditional style.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#42 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

How often do you draw?
Not enough! :lol:

Honest Critique

yuiare
Regular
Projects: Ichigo

#43 Post by yuiare »

You are not alone! If I'm lucky, I can manage to squeeze in at least 4 hours of drawing a week if school isn't keeping me as busy with exams and such. Then again, I also have 3 younger brothers and they always tend to interrupt me just when I'm about to get into my "zone" for drawing. The perks of having a big family= zero alone time -.-

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#44 Post by sendo »

I draw somewhere between 2-4 hrs every other day. I really want to improve my art so I'm trying to squeeze every last bit of time I have for drawing. :)

HienFan
Regular
Projects: Mystic China, Kirei no shojo no yume

#45 Post by HienFan »

Practically everyday. I got a little too much free time and I dislike getting bored so it's that, video game, trying to write for a game and craftworks