The ELECT: Ascendance - Part 2 of 5 Completed

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#16 Post by DaFool »

If you notice, most animation is never pen-traced. The lines are straight from the mechanical pencil :D They're colored as-is.

That's why the original artwork of the games or manga the anime is derived from is often 'shinier'.

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#17 Post by Nafai »

Man I wish I could just leave my art in pencil and still have good scans :( Anyhow...

Status Update May 20 2007

Once more progress is almost entirely limited to the script. Then again, I really do need to finish this path at least before I allow myself to jump into the art and other tasks in earnest.

Script: 68, 114 words.

Art: Still collecting pose and placement shots. Work has been hell :(

Other Notes:
~ Sent the most recent chunk of the True path to Drake for checking.
~ Will start doing placement art so Moni and I can start working on some of the programming for the scenes.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#18 Post by monele »

68000 words.... oh my ^^;...

Nafai
Veteran

#19 Post by Nafai »

*laughs* And that's just the main path :P Might have to be a teensy less ambitious with the branches...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#20 Post by mikey »

That's just insane :shock: - for most of the time I'm struggling to go beyond 20.000 (only GR had more words, O3 had around 20.000, all other games were even shorter).

So if you say 68.000 words, that's a lot of respect from me.

It probably has to do with the subject/topic of the story - I suppose my stories are quite simple and I can probably express whatever it is I'm expressing in shorter time - but of course if you have a complex topic, I can imagine that it can take much longer to exhaust it - lots of relationships and problems, that can really stretch the size.

Nafai
Veteran

#21 Post by Nafai »

I actually feel the opposite - its the guys who can make the densely packed short stories like you and Drake that I really admire. I've done a few short stories and they were much more difficult than my longer works - the need to place every word or scene with care just takes so much effort and skill, its somewhat intimidating.

My stiff tends to be longer simply because its easier for me really - scenes play out in my head like I'm watching them, rather than planning them out, so a lot of stuff goes into the story that could technically be cut out while leaving the scene intact, but which I leave in because, well, that's how the scene/dialogue played out in my mind. :)

Of course this can lead to excessive... wordiness. Which is why I finagled Drake to be my editor :P

Nafai
Veteran

#22 Post by Nafai »

Status Update June 7, 2007:

Story is now at 77,000 words or there abouts - one more scene and that ends Part I of the true path. The second (and final) part won't be as long... I think :P

Other Notes:
~ Discussed promo Mini-VNs with Drake
~ Still haven't done the placement art yet - the last few scenes I wrote were tricky...

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by DaFool »

Hmmm... so we'll probably have...

All-time records

Camp-Handiba (I haven't beta-tested, this is just hearsay) - 500K
Gakuen Redux - 120-130K
The Elect - 77K (times two? three?)

Maybe there might be other candidates for epic length.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#24 Post by papillon »

Are you counting programming commands as part of script length or do you have a good way to separate them?

My best guess for word count at the moment is 75K, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#25 Post by DaFool »

papillon wrote:Are you counting programming commands as part of script length or do you have a good way to separate them?

My best guess for word count at the moment is 75K, but I have no idea how accurate that is.
lint is good at separating the dialogue.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#26 Post by PyTom »

The Ren'Py lint mode includes counts of words and menus in the game. Actually, the word count is a slight under-estimate of the number of words that will be shown to the user, since a line like:

e "Hello, world."

will only count as two words, and not 3. (But that makes sense, since I'm betting people don't spend much time reading character names after the first time a name is shown.)

Lint only counts words in say statements, so control statements aren't added to the word count. Control statements can be a quite substantial part of a naive word count... using Elven Relations 1.0 as an example, lint reports 43k words, while the standard unix wc tool reports 57k.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#27 Post by DrakeNavarone »

(I hope Nafai doesn't mind me posting this...)

Currently, the script is in .doc format, not .rpy, so I'm guessing his total comes from Word's built in word count feature and not lint. I copy and pasted the script into an .rpy file, made the necessary edits for formatting, and ran lint myself and got just under 72000 for the word count. Word must be counting all the comments, of which there are plenty, and the name of whoever is saying the current line.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

Nafai
Veteran

#28 Post by Nafai »

I don't mind at all Drake :) I consider me, you and moni as part of a team now ^_^

Yeah I was using Words built in word count, so that did include all the comments and the name of whoever is saying the current line, so Drake's estimate of 7200 actual words in the "text" should be about correct.

I didn't have much in the way of programming commands in the script as of yet, so its mostly dialogue, interspersed with comments (and the occasional label).

As to the final length... I honestly have no idea. I'm thinking about 120k for the main path, and the rest will depend on... well, just how crazy I get with the branch alternate scenarios/ how low an EQ I have (since I might cut the branches a bit short just so that I can release the sucker :P)

Nafai
Veteran

#29 Post by Nafai »

Status Update June 15, 2007:

Phew. Just finished the first part of a rather long fight scene (5k words so far, though half of that is more a setup/flashback than a fight scene). Next up will have the first on-screen appearance of a major villain, so I'm going to have to tread with care...

Man... I hope I have the drawing chops to render this scene with justice @_@;

Thought I'd share a small snippet from the sciprt too. Just a funny exchange between the player (Jin) and one of his rommates (Beemer). Just a warning though - Beemer has quite a potty mouth :P:
“He handed me a folded-up piece of paper. I stared at it mutely.”

“Jin:” “Beemer…”

“Beemer:” “Yeah?”

“Jin:” “You know I’m straight right?”

“He threw a right which I dodged with ease.”

“Beemer:” “Just take it you fucker, I spent all night on that!”

“I took the note and cautiously opened it to find…”

“Jin:” “ ‘Beemer’s Top 100 Super Hero Code Names’?”

“Beemer:” “Well go on – you’re gonna fuckin’ need them soon enough. Pick any fuckin’ one!”

“I looked at the first few names on the list.”

“Jin:” “ ‘Booty Kicker’… ‘I-Am-Your-Daddy’… ‘Captain-I-Will-Fuck-You-Up’…”

“Beemer:” “Well? Cool huh? You can thank me with a percentage of all the endorsement money you’re gonna get…”

“Jin:” “…”

“Jin:” “Thanks Beemer…”

“Beemer:” “Don’t mention it man…”

“Jin:” “Yeah… Thanks for making sure I don’t miss you at all…”

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#30 Post by monele »

Nyaha X3... I like the last line the most :)
(and no worries with drawings, we'll pack it with effects too. If both can't make it look cool, well darn!)