With You [Slife, Otome] [GxB] [HIATUS; 8/15]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
khfan12
Regular
Completed: Clarity, a MH KN
Projects: "With You", Truculence

With You [Slife, Otome] [GxB] [HIATUS; 8/15]

#1 Post by khfan12 »

NOTE: The title may change; it is a working title, something that I made up off of the top of my head.

Hey guys! :)
This is my first official Visual Novel!
Along with some help from two awesome people, I present to you...

"With You"
A Visual Novel about a college student, dared to find love.

Plot:
Blair Jones is 20.
She's in college for literature, having loved it most of her life. She's also single.
As she finishes her third year of college, her best friend Iris makes a bet with her. She has until the end of summer break (2 1/2 to 3 months) to find a boyfriend.

If Blair succeeds, she not only gets a boyfriend, but Iris will take her to a concert of Blair's choosing.
If she doesn't get a boyfriend by the end of the time permitted, then Blair has to spend one full day at a museum of Iris' choosing.

This will be a free game.

Characters:

Blair Jones
Age 20
Personality: Guarded, doesn't trust others easily; occasionally puts up a mask so that others don't see her true feelings.

Iris Kirkland
Age 20
Personality: Tough, blunt, dirty minded, likes to tease others, protective of close friends, cares deeply about Blair (thinks of her like the sister she never had)

Alexis "Alex" Curtis
Age 26
Personality: An optimist with a realistic view of the world; loves her younger brother dearly, but still loves to tease him.
-Daniel's older sister.

Daniel "Danny" Curtis
Age 21
Personality: Happy, optimist
-He, Iris and the MC grew up together, meeting in grade school. Wants to be a Pastry Chef.

Luke Evans
Age 20
Personality: Bubbly, caring, sweet, dorky
-Born and raised in London until he was 17, when he and his mother moved to the US.

Jason "Jace" Brown
Age 20
Personality: quiet, polite

Ashton "Ash" Smith
Age 21
Personality: Caring, defends his friends, jokes around, somewhat of a former delinquent.
NOTE: SINCE THE PROLOGUE IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION, IT IS UNKNOWN IF ASHTON WILL STAY ON THE STORY OR BE TAKEN OUT.
Update 9/8/2013: Ashton will be in the story after all. We found a way to bring him into the story that works :)

The lovely team working on this Visual Novel:
Lead Writer/Concept/ETC: khfan12
Co-Writer/Programmer: Fenrir34
Sprite artist: drako-shingami

At the moment, we're not sure if the VN will have CG's.
UPDATE 12//2/13: We spoke, and decided that we're going to have CGs in the full thing. We're not sure how many there will be, but at the moment, there are four planned.

Status of development:

Script- 20%
-Prologue: 98% (final touches being done)
--Luke's Route: 10% (being mapped out)
--Ashton's route: 80-90%
--Jason's Route: 5% (Being mapped out)
--Daniel's route: 2%

Sprites- 10%
CGs- 25%
Backgrounds- No available progress to report.
Music- 0%

Note from khfan12:
Okay so...I got this idea...I think I was at work or something. I started to write down basic ideas and character info.
drako-shingami and I have been wanting to make a VN together for a while now, and this idea was the perfect one to take-off.
Thanks to the wonderful Fenrir34 for offering help, this project is underway!
I hope we're able to bring this Visual Novel to you all within the next year or two!

Questions!

1) Would you like to play the game when it comes out?
2) Which character are you most interested in?
3) What do you think of Blair so far?
4) Does the concept of the VN interest you?
5) Do you think that we should release a demo of the VN?
6) Are there any other comments you would like to make about the plot, game info, character concepts, etc.
7) Would you like khfan12 to put random trivia up about the VN weekly as it is worked on?
Last edited by khfan12 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Image <<My DeviantArt

Kinetic/Visual Novels:
Complete:
Clarity - MH KN- Solo Project
Projects:
With You (working title) - Lead Writer/Concept/ETC
Truculence- Concept Artist, Proofreader

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

Re: With You [Slife, Otome] [GxB]

#2 Post by merdeamour »

Okay. Full honesty mode, commence.

-I think I'd like to play it, yeah, but in the hopes that it isn't as cliche as the blurb makes it seem...
-None, really, because you didn't describe them that much. Ashton kinda intrigues me, but that's because I'm wondering how far gone he was in his delinquency.
-Well, it's certainly not common practice to bet on getting a boyfriend for the chance that someone will take you to a concert. Sounds shallow to me. I mean, I think having a boyfriend is a big step in life, not something to bet on...
-Well, yeah, because I want to see where this is going, and if this is anything deeper than finding a boyfriend just to go to a concert. Also, why does Iris even make a bet with Blair...?
And... I hope I don't sound like I'm nit-picking in here but... Blair doesn't sound like the kind of person who'd enjoy a concert over a museum. Just a thought. I'm someone who loves literature, but rarely goes to concerts because I enjoy being with myself more... Maybe give more info about Blair, since the general idea of 'literature major' sounds like, well, my example...

-Yeah.
6) Are there any other comments you would like to make about the plot, game info, character concepts, etc.
-Well, it's all pretty vague so far. You just put up a blurb to give us an idea about the story. Ditto with the characters. Where does Blair meet them? Would they know about the bet?
7) Would you like khfan12 to put random trivia up about the VN weekly as it is worked on?
-Why not? Although I think this would benefit more from your giving more info on the game, gameplay (like, is this a stat-building game?), etc., than your giving out random trivia.
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#3 Post by chocojax »

Mayb.
Luke. He seems pretty happy-go-lucky, which I like in characters. :O
Her personality seems pretty common so far. Depends on how you write it out in the script, of course. (It also seems strange how Blair seems like the type to enjoy staying at a museum rather than a concert, but, people are different than how they look/what they study, etc. :P)
There's nothing really that stands out. There's nothing wrong with making something that's SoL+Otome, etc, I (and many others) still find it enjoyable.
It looks like it'll be kinda long (especially with the amount of guys, haha), so a demo might be a good idea.
Not really. Just, "Go for it!" :>
Random trivia is always nice.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

I'd almost definitely get around to it someday.

Blair. I'll elaborate in the next answer.

There isn't much actual info there but there is quite a bit one could speculate on. I'm probably wrong about this but I agree with merdeamour, the plot makes her sound shallow. But I don't think that would be bad. The set up for the game, Blair's interests, and even the look on her face could all point to a very uncommon female protag. She seems like she could an intellectual, bored with her life, feels that she is somehow above others, being okay with the using others as a means to an end, and making something that should be a big deal into to something frivolous. Everyone else seems to be expressing at least some kind of emotion but Blair just has an "I am so over this." kind of look. I don't know if that's what you were going for but that's what it seems like to me based off the little info there is on her. To be honest I'd much rather have a MC who's truly sort of mean than a protag who just hides her true feelings and is actually really nice, at least for this set up. I think that'd just be more interesting.

Not exactly. I am interested in finding out exactly how the plot is going to work but until some things are cleared up I'm not really that interested in the plot itself.

I don't ever play demos but others might find it useful.

I think the art looks really nice. And again like merdeamour I want to know if the the guys will know about the bet or not and I'd like some more info on the character's personalities.

Updates are always nice.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Kyra10
Regular
Projects: My Heart's Flame
Organization: Amaraluna: Otome Game Productions

#5 Post by Kyra10 »

Yes~
I like all of them~
I'm interested to see how you portray her personality in the game.
Absolutely.
A demo would be great!
I love the character art! Good luck ^_^
Yes, please.

khfan12
Regular

#6 Post by khfan12 »

merdeamour wrote:Okay. Full honesty mode, commence.

-I think I'd like to play it, yeah, but in the hopes that it isn't as cliche as the blurb makes it seem...
-None, really, because you didn't describe them that much. Ashton kinda intrigues me, but that's because I'm wondering how far gone he was in his delinquency.
-Well, it's certainly not common practice to bet on getting a boyfriend for the chance that someone will take you to a concert. Sounds shallow to me. I mean, I think having a boyfriend is a big step in life, not something to bet on...
-Well, yeah, because I want to see where this is going, and if this is anything deeper than finding a boyfriend just to go to a concert. Also, why does Iris even make a bet with Blair...?
And... I hope I don't sound like I'm nit-picking in here but... Blair doesn't sound like the kind of person who'd enjoy a concert over a museum. Just a thought. I'm someone who loves literature, but rarely goes to concerts because I enjoy being with myself more... Maybe give more info about Blair, since the general idea of 'literature major' sounds like, well, my example...

-Yeah.
-Well, it's all pretty vague so far. You just put up a blurb to give us an idea about the story. Ditto with the characters. Where does Blair meet them? Would they know about the bet?
-Why not? Although I think this would benefit more from your giving more info on the game, gameplay (like, is this a stat-building game?), etc., than your giving out random trivia.
Okay so...about 2 or 3 of the things that you asked about are going to be elaborated in the VN. For one thing, Iris and Blair are close, like I said in the OP. Iris has helped Blair through A LOT and been there for her no matter what has happened. Some of the things that Blair has been through has shaped her personality and view of the world.
The concert thing is...well, involves a bit of a spoiler, which I guess I'll add:
Music is Blair's only outlet besides writing. She has attempted suicide in the past, and been through several depressions. Music, Writing and Iris being there for her are the only things that were able to help her make it to where she is now; one year left in college and...well, alive. The band that Blair is planning to make Iris take her to see is the band that saved her life, as well as her favorite band. Buuuttt~
There's no saying that they will go to a concert or not...that's just their bet. Ya'll will just have to wait and see what I mean until the VN comes out.
Ashton kinda intrigues me, but that's because I'm wondering how far gone he was in his delinquency.
Oh...well...
It was quite far into being a delinquent.

if this is anything deeper than finding a boyfriend just to go to a concert. Also, why does Iris even make a bet with Blair...?
It does but like I said; it contains a spoiler that you guys will find out if we put a demo out.

You just put up a blurb to give us an idea about the story.
That's the idea. If I say too much, then I might unintentionally spoil something or ruin parts of the story.
Where does Blair meet them?
Two of the guys she meets during the VN. One of the guys she knew/met previously. You obviously knows that she already knows Daniel.
Would they know about the bet?
Maybe.

Well...since you guys would like some trivia, I'll go ahead and add the first 2 here. (I'll be sharing 2 mainly so that it answers questions about some of the characters) I'll be adding them every Friday or Saturday.

Trivia #1: Blair and Iris' friendship is based on the friendship of me and my best friend. Certain aspects of their personalities are based on our personalities as well.
Trivia #2: (A slight spoiler)
Iris is a major History buff. She loves everything about it. Blair on the other hand...
Image <<My DeviantArt

Kinetic/Visual Novels:
Complete:
Projects:

Aines445
Regular

#7 Post by Aines445 »

Joining the party here~~ (Party?! 8D)

I guess.

Actually, I'm kind of interested in Blair, but I'll leave that for the next question. For the guys, I guess Luke cause he seems cute XD

I think that Blair has the potential to be a great character if developed properly, or maybe with just that kind of personality. Blair just looks like she has more to it than what's written there in terms of backstory and everything, and I find that interesting. Maybe I just have my expections too high?

Honestly, not really. It sounds a bit shallow if you ask me, but shallow plots can work with good enough romance (?)

You decide, because I'm not really sure.

I like the artstyle, I know it's pretty much a type of manga style but honestly, the eyes aren't very big and it's just pleasing to look at for it. I also like Blair's clothes (Bias? XD), just sayin'. I can't really say anything else since I'm not exactly sure of how the plot will develop into and what I'll think of certain characters.

That sounds like fun, so yes! ^^

I'll be following this!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

Yes. I have read only a few VNs about college life and semester breaks.

Iris. Maybe I just like friend characters regardless of a story's focus...

She could be a distinct individual, or she could be a blank slate character. It's your call.

Blair's goal of finding a significant other within a time frame is normal and believable. However, you might benefit by giving her other interests and motivations. What does she enjoy other than literature? What events have shaped her? What does she think of her friends and family?

It mght help you get feedback. Don't worry too much about demos.

Update when you want.

CatyCats
Regular

#9 Post by CatyCats »

Well yeah! It looks challenging.
Luke, normally Jace/Jase but luke looks so happy and cute!
I don't know much of blair,but it's original. Why? Every game I've played are mostly Happy-go-lucky,normal,shy. Not like putting on a mask to hide their true feelings.
Sure.
Sure,if it's not too much work.
Not really. But like the other girl/boy said a boyfriend is not something to bet on it. But It's challening!
Sure. If he/she wants.

khfan12
Regular

#10 Post by khfan12 »

UPDATE #1 [9/8/2013]

-Ashton will be in the story after all. We found a way to bring him into the story that works :)
-Fenrir34 is working on Ashton's path now, while I'm working on the prologue and starting on Luke's path.

-Other maps are being mapped/planned out at the moment. Endings are already decided as well.

So...Status update, GO!

Status of development:
Script- 6%
Sprites- 5%

And a piece of Trivia:
Trivia #3: Alex's name was originally going to be "Alexandra" but I decided to go with "Alexis" instead because it flowed better and it seemed to fit "her" as a person better.
Image <<My DeviantArt

Kinetic/Visual Novels:
Complete:
Projects:

khfan12
Regular

#11 Post by khfan12 »

UPDATE #2! 9/27/13

First off, I apologize for not updating the past couple of weeks. I've been busy with some really personal things as well as work.

But anyway, now for the VN stuff!

So after walking with the artist, we are going to definitely try to have CGs for this! :)
I say try because in a little over a month she's going to Mexico for a year so she's going to be trying her best to help out with the CGs

Oh! I talked to the programmer about the possibility of a demo, and right now, it's a possibility. We're going to work on the VN a little bit more and see where it takes us. We're hoping to try to get one out to you guys.

So...Status update, GO!

Status of development:
Script- 15%
Sprites- 5%
CGs - 2%
Backgrounds - 50%
Music - ?

Random Trivia #4:
Currently, there is going to be one path planned that leads to the "true ending" of the VN.
Image <<My DeviantArt

Kinetic/Visual Novels:
Complete:
Projects:

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#12 Post by silverpikachu99 »

OHMYGOSSHHH Ash is sooo *HOT*~!! Piercings = INSTA-WIN!!!! Anyway-- Here's your questions and answers :)

DUH!!
Aston Smith:*
Not only is she a pretty MC, She sounds super interesting too! Can't wait to play as her :)
Of course~!
YES DO IT!!!
NOPPE
Yes please ^_^
i'll cry if you yell at me

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by 15385bic »

i think u should try cgs <-- as horrible as they are to make orz
considering unlocking them is what drives most ppll to play other paths ^^' or at least thats wat happens in my case >_>'

thats a huge cast - i look forward to the development =]

khfan12
Regular

#14 Post by khfan12 »

silverpikachu99 wrote:OHMYGOSSHHH Ash is sooo *HOT*~!! Piercings = INSTA-WIN!!!! Anyway-- Here's your questions and answers :)

DUH!!
Aston Smith:*
Not only is she a pretty MC, She sounds super interesting too! Can't wait to play as her :)
Of course~!
YES DO IT!!!
NOPPE
Yes please ^_^
Haha, glad you like Ashton! xD
I think that him and Luke are tied for first place popularity-wise.
I like that you like Blair so far! I hope that when we finish it, we don't disappoint you! :D
-Now about the demo, I covered it in the update I had just posted; currently, it's a maybe.
15385bic wrote:i think u should try cgs <-- as horrible as they are to make orz
considering unlocking them is what drives most ppll to play other paths ^^' or at least thats wat happens in my case >_>'

thats a huge cast - i look forward to the development =]
Well, in my last update, I announced that we're going to try to include some. Our main artist won't be able to help anymore come November, since she's going to be in Mexico for a year. So if we do decide to include them, she'd have to sketch them out by then.
But right now? It's more than likely that we'll have CGs.

As for the cast?
There are more. About one minor character, one character who is important when it comes to Blair's past(like, REALLY important), as well as two other possible characters who may or may not be included.
And now to get some sleep because it is about 2:40 am where I'm at.
Image <<My DeviantArt

Kinetic/Visual Novels:
Complete:
Projects:

khfan12
Regular

#15 Post by khfan12 »

UPDATE #3! 10/7/13
HAPPY OCTOBER! :D

CG's: Okay, so the artist and I are working on them. There will most likely be at least one for each route. We'll need to work on writing more to fully decide. But for now, there will be at least 4, maybe 5.

Sprites: Alright; we're deciding on expressions and stuff, as well as drawing them digitally.

Script: I'll just do the routs section by section.
Luke - 8%
Ashton - 15 %
Jason - 5%
Daniel - 5%

Backgrounds: No updates here.

Music: N/A.

Random Trivia #5: (slight spoiler)
-Two of these characters are inspired by my two best guy friends. The characters being Luke and Daniel.
Image <<My DeviantArt

Kinetic/Visual Novels:
Complete:
Projects: