Do you play as same or opposite gender?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Kami
Regular
Deviantart: sevowen
Github: KamiShepard

Re: Do you play as same or opposite gender?

#121 Post by Kami »

I usually stick with my gender. Also, it makes me quite upset when game does not have gender choice.
Programming: C/C++, Java, PHP, SQL, Pyhon, JavaScrip, XHTML, CSS
AniVita Games | DeviantArt
Honest Critique

Senkousha

#122 Post by Senkousha »

DeeKay wrote:
leon wrote:I almost always pick a female character first, especially for games with "behind the character view". Watching girl's behinds is more important than romance. :p
Whaaat ? You mean that even in action packed games, you prefer staring at a girl's butt instead of checking what's going on in front of her ? ^^'''''''''
Beats watching man's butt. So I usually play as female too. Nothing more satisfying than watching a girl wreak havoc with unproportionally huge weapons.

Orison
Projects: Dream No More

#123 Post by Orison »

I almost always choose to play as my gender (female) since I like playing otome games. Other games, I don't really care... Well, unless it's like Persona 3 for the PSP. The story got altered for the girl path (apparently) so I played as the male character.
deviantART[CC BY-SA] Voice Packs!!tumblr (blog)
"Where's the trick, don't have a clue?"
- JubyPhonic's English cover of Yobanashi Deceive

NeoAngelique
Regular

#124 Post by NeoAngelique »

Depends on the game. I may play as male or female.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#125 Post by SundownKid »

Orison wrote:I almost always choose to play as my gender (female) since I like playing otome games. Other games, I don't really care... Well, unless it's like Persona 3 for the PSP. The story got altered for the girl path (apparently) so I played as the male character.
That strikes me as strange, since the only changes for the girl path were adding in a few minor romantic scenes with guys, and taking out the ones with girls, AFAIK. I played the girl path anyway since I liked her character design/weapon a lot better than the guy's.

Orison
Projects: Dream No More

#126 Post by Orison »

SundownKid wrote:
Orison wrote:I almost always choose to play as my gender (female) since I like playing otome games. Other games, I don't really care... Well, unless it's like Persona 3 for the PSP. The story got altered for the girl path (apparently) so I played as the male character.
That strikes me as strange, since the only changes for the girl path were adding in a few minor romantic scenes with guys, and taking out the ones with girls, AFAIK. I played the girl path anyway since I liked her character design/weapon a lot better than the guy's.
Meh, I wanted to play the original original story first and people told me that the girl path was altered. I haven't gotten around to playing it again so blah.
Side note: It's funny if you look at the fandom stuff where the male MC is less popular than the female MC and he gets even more depressed looking because she rubs it in his face. Oh, Internet... You amuse me ever so XD
deviantART[CC BY-SA] Voice Packs!!tumblr (blog)
"Where's the trick, don't have a clue?"
- JubyPhonic's English cover of Yobanashi Deceive

Noire
Regular
Projects: Mirage Noir

#127 Post by Noire »

I usually play as a girl, but I tried to play as a guy in several MMO games out of curiosity :D

Kensela
Regular

#128 Post by Kensela »

In most mmorpg I play as my gender, but in otome or VN games if given the option I usually choose the opposite gender just because I find it more fun that way.

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#129 Post by qirien »

I usually play as female (same as my own gender), and then my husband plays as male so we can see how the story is different. We usually play as different classes, too, taking turns with who gets to be the mage and who plays the rogue (usually nobody wants to be the fighter!). Though, in games where you can have a lot of characters (like Neverwinter Nights), sometimes we will swap for fun.
Finished games:

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#130 Post by trooper6 »

NB: I don't think men and women are opposites.

What gender do I play as. I will usually play male first (which is the gender I identify as), but I also usually play both as male and as female in different play throughs. If there were some sort of third gender or transgender character, I'd definitely play as that character.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Dazed
Completed: Katawa Shoujo, The Dolls' Stories
Projects: Fish & Chicks

#131 Post by Dazed »

I normally do 2 files- one for male and one for female. I normally play as a male first though. Always have. Just a preference.
New to the forum. Good things to come!....erm, I hope.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#132 Post by SundownKid »

Orison wrote: Meh, I wanted to play the original original story first and people told me that the girl path was altered. I haven't gotten around to playing it again so blah.
Side note: It's funny if you look at the fandom stuff where the male MC is less popular than the female MC and he gets even more depressed looking because she rubs it in his face. Oh, Internet... You amuse me ever so XD
Funny but true. The guy MC just seems pretty generic, as they usually are in SMT games. But, the changes weren't to the game in any major way - they simply had a new battle theme and world music for the girl's route, as well as a pink vs. blue UI and the minor romantic scenes. It's nothing worth replaying the game for, really.

AngelicReckoning
Projects: Shining Light

#133 Post by AngelicReckoning »

I play as both. It really just depends on the game I'm playing. If there is romantic elements, I choose female.

Yumi-sama

#134 Post by Yumi-sama »

IN otome games and MMORPG, I usually play as female because I'm female. And I could feel the game more. But because I am way different from an ideal girl, and I act like a guy......sometimes there's problem with getting the target character. XD

In otome games, I also play as a guy, I just wander how it is like being a guy. And most of the time, I end with a girl who has the same characteristics as me XD

Nekobiker
Regular

#135 Post by Nekobiker »

I mostly play bishoujo VNs; those have male protagonists. I really don't get the "I can't relate to the opposite gender" argument. I've been playing male characters for most of my life and never oncehad this problem. Yes, men and women are different and think differently, but the differences are not so huge that they're beyond understanding. If anything, I find it more fun to jump into someone who's different from me. I don't play games to be myself, dammit, I do enough of that IRL.

In games where gender is purely cosmetical (most MMOs, Fallout, etc), I go for the better character design.