Anyone with novel adaptation experience?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
dorne
Regular

Anyone with novel adaptation experience?

#1 Post by dorne »

I'm considering on going the plan of writing my first novel before completing a visual novel adaptation. My logic is that if the writing and story has been scrutinized enough to be a complete novel, I'd be able to have an easier time pitching the idea to an editor and artist to help adapt the novel. How long does it normally take to adapt a typical novel? Is there any success in this method in the English world? Also I just noticed its NanoWrimo, perfect timing.
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: Anyone with novel adaptation experience?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

Just because it's a novel doesn't mean it automatically becomes good and people will want to work on it more. I'd say you have about the same chance pitching an idea as pitching a novel. An idea shouldn't really change much from the outlining stage to the "put it down on paper" stage. If you want to write the novel, write it because you want to write it, not to adapt it to a visual novel. That's not to say it's not possible to adapt it, but I doubt potential editors are going to go read your novel before deciding.

Most people probably tend to write one or the other. There might be an exception in Japan since light novels are so similar.

Ramunai
Regular
Projects: Love Target!

#3 Post by Ramunai »

SundownKid is right and I agree because I've tried both before.

Based on what I've experienced, writing a novel before completing a VN adaption makes the latter easier because you have a pretty solid story/plot line and you won't face much issues like writers' block. However, there's a huge possibility that you'll face issues on the "choice" department if your idea for a novel-then-turned-VN heavily relies on the players choices for multiple endings (like otome games for instance). This will then, result in more time consumption as you'll be figuring how to make this ending or that ending work, etc.

Also, you need a really enthusiastic editor and artist for them to stick around to adapt a novel into a VN because adapting novels are a lot more work than making a VN itself. For example, in a novel, you write details on a character's surroundings and the artist you hire should pay extra attention to those descriptions when drawing the backgrounds for a VN or the people who have read your novel will be disappointed as the VN adaption isn't as similar to your novel (if you're going to let others read your novel, that is).

The chances of a novel being adapted into a VN is slim. It's like a novel being adapted into a movie. BUT, like I've stated above, if you manage to find an enthusiastic editor and artist, things will go smoothly. I recommend getting freelance editors from writer sites (like Wattpad or FanFiction.net) because I find that they're more enthusiastic and willing, though there are risks that you should be aware of and as for artists, both paid and freelance ones are alright, though freelances have a larger chance of "suddenly disappearing" (No offence to any freelance artist reading this!).

All in all, I think that just making a VN is better than adapting a novel into one. Or just write a novel and adapt it into a kinetic novel (you wont face much issues here). Or well, write a novel only.

Anyway, good luck on whatever you choose to do in the end! And, have fun with NaNoWriMo if you're joining! :D
Ramunai [ラムない]
WIP: Love Target!

dorne
Regular

#4 Post by dorne »

Yes, I have a good feeling that I want to make a novel first and foremost. Thank you guys for your input!
SundownKid wrote:Most people probably tend to write one or the other. There might be an exception in Japan since light novels are so similar.
It's been done in Japan, and I wish to think this type of occurrence can happen more often on this side as well.
Ramunai wrote:SundownKid is right and I agree because I've tried both before.

Based on what I've experienced, writing a novel before completing a VN adaption makes the latter easier because you have a pretty solid story/plot line and you won't face much issues like writers' block. However, there's a huge possibility that you'll face issues on the "choice" department if your idea for a novel-then-turned-VN heavily relies on the players choices for multiple endings (like otome games for instance). This will then, result in more time consumption as you'll be figuring how to make this ending or that ending work, etc.

For example, in a novel, you write details on a character's surroundings and the artist you hire should pay extra attention to those descriptions when drawing the backgrounds for a VN or the people who have read your novel will be disappointed as the VN adaption isn't as similar to your novel (if you're going to let others read your novel, that is).

And, have fun with NaNoWriMo if you're joining! :D
Do you have any examples of novel to VN adaptions?

Having a good description for characters and setting is probably a good idea to keep when making the novel, I'm sure it'll be of good use as reference material aside from the novel.

In terms of choice I'll have to learn on my own as I work on it, though I plan on branching story paths with full endings. The novel will fulfill one full path, and after that is complete, I would be able to tangents, on what ifs.

People have preferences like those who read both a novel and a movie adaptation, those who see them first the first time in either medium tend to judge on their own merit. Perhaps fans of VNs will like the adaptation, or they may get into the novel and see it more fulfilling.

And thanks I'll definitely try it out!
A Tale of a Meeting. A short sci-fi VN featuring space opera in one part of the universe.

Dorne's Lets Read Visual Novels
https://www.youtube.com/user/dornevn/videos