Recruiting: artists and graphic designer for both games

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
hiko27
Veteran
Projects: Tsundere-sama (working title)
Tumblr: crappyassdrawings
Deviantart: tsunderenyan
Discord: erikaaaa#6140

Recruiting: artists and graphic designer for both games

#1 Post by hiko27 »

Hello, my friend and I are looking for a writer, a programmer, and probably another fellow artist as well. We have two games in the burner and we've had some work done for them so feel free to pick both or one of each, if you please. And if you want to join our team, feel free but we're not that active as we're still all in college. There might also be a chance that for the writer and programmer positions, I might cooperate with you on the writing and programming (since I do both myself along with art). Also, these position are not paid, just volunteers. We will, in the future, probably hire with pay (probably once we get a game out there and get jobs) but for now, these are just volunteer positions. Which means you can choose to do your work at any given time or during your free time.

Writer/Ideabouncer:
All we really want for a writer is someone who enjoys writing and can come up with non-cliched ideas, or someone who can put a nice spin on cliches. Someone who can come up with humorous lines/stories and also heart-wrenching ones. Someone who is imaginative and can think outside the box. Someone who can show the characters' personality through their speech or actions without using any words. And someone who can contribute ideas and give feedback about the story/characters. And please, someone who is strict on proper grammar when it comes to writing. We don't have a set amount of words yet for this project or have an output schedule so if you're bothered by this fact, this might not be the project(s) for you. This position will include A LOT of writing, depending on which project you'll be applying for.

Co-artist
A digital artist. If possible, someone who uses or is comfortable with Photoshop or SAI. An expert at coloring (watercolor, painting or CG coloring styles are preferred). Will be doing backgrounds as well as CG events and sprites, alongside me. Who can create interesting character designs, and if possible, someone who is good or an expert at drawing males. For otoge-Real! (as this is a big project) preferably one who specializes in backgrounds and/or CGs and an artist who specializes or can do shoujo manga-style art for re:Girl (If you know of Yoko Maki or Arina Tanemura and can do something similar, you're in the clear. If not, here are some samples. Or you may choose to see if the art is up to par with the sketches below).

Graphic Design:
Nothing specific. As long as they have a complete mastery of Photoshop and a basic sense of color theory and design. And a creative sense of style as well would be nice. Will be designing the GUIs of both games, otoge-Real! and re:Girl, and also the logo for re:Girl (probably otoge-Real! if you have an objection to the current one).

Now, if you're not daunted by how picky we are on what we want for each position, read the following projects and see if anything interests you. *Note: The features and/or summaries for these projects might change over the next few months. They are still in the planning process.

WHAT WE NEED:
  • A main writer for otoge-Real!
  • Two co-writers for otoge-Real!
  • Two artists for otoge-Real!
  • Another artist who specializes in manga-style art for re:Girl
  • GUI artist for both games
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

1ST PROJECT
otoge-Real!
Summary: When Meru decides to make her own otome game, she’s determined to make it happen! She’s got everything covered, except for one: the boys are too cliche because she’s never had a boyfriend! She knows all the different archetypes from reading manga and watching anime, but that wasn’t enough. One to never give up, she brings it up a notch. With her crazy idea and a burning determination, she decides to pick her own harem of boys and create her own otome game reality — in school!

Features:
Customizeable MC — hairstyle, hair color, clothes (during dates), skin color and of course her name.
15 guys to choose from for your own harem — mix and match and see how each character reacts to another to create your own unique otome game reality!
Unlockable mini-games, CGs and *gasp* probably a hidden character!?
(Probably) Complete with an opening song sequence!
Animation trailer introducing all 15 guys (and if you look carefully, the 16th guy) /note: We’ll try to get some voice acting for this at least and it probably will be in English.
BGM music
PRETTY ART AND CGS

Biographies
http://aho-pro.tumblr.com/post/40834259 ... ll-15-guys

Concept art/Sketches as of 11/02/13:
Image Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image
2ND PROJECT
re:Girl

Summary: Aya was just a normal schoolgirl, until one day, a mysterious white-haired dude by the name of Deux comes knocking on your door, calling you “little grasshopper” out of nowhere. He throws some dust on you, and as soon as it hits you, memories of who you really are, and your mission flashes before your eyes. The player plays as Aya, or whatever the hell you wanna name her, as she takes on the role of a magical girl as a hero, a villain, or a phantom thief — your choice — as you try to romance civilians and fellow heroes (or villains or thieves) alike, while trying to save — or destroy — Earth. (subject to change as the plot is not yet final)

Features:
"It sounds simple enough, but since I like to complicate everything, I decided to add an RPG element to this game because you’re a hero/villain/kaito, where you go on missions, fight enemies, and probably raise some stats. Most likely grid-based maps/battlefields. So we’re gonna be creating pixelized versions of the characters. Ofc, you also get to raise the guy’s love points. And ofc, since there’s an RPG element to this and I like creating costumes and making you guys work hard for almost everything in the games, there will be a leveling up aspect to this cause yes, you need cuter/awesome-r costumes. Cause costumes man, they’re awesome!"
  • This game will have a manga style to it, meaning the whole game will be in black and white, complete with sfxs, speech bubbles, and flipping animation (for sprites)
  • Thinking of having the sprites/characters be in color instead
  • First installment of the shoujo series (we have yet to name this series lol), a series of games targeted for young girls (we have a josei series as well, a series of otome games targeted for older women -- coming soon!)
  • A story within a story; the manga artist's debut/job depends on which endings you get!
  • Since you have an alter ego, you can romance both civilians and the alter egos!
  • Along with the civilian/alter ego romance, depending on which type of archetype you pick, the alter egos react differently to you and your advances! But that doesn't mean it's impossible!
Sketches as of 11/02/13
Image Image Image Image
And hopefully I won't see any replies that are comments as to how impossible these projects are. If there's a will, there's a way. It'll just be a long way. And that is why we need people who are dedicated to the game and will be excited for them.

Still want to apply? Post in the thread or PM me (whichever way is more comfortable for you) on the position you want with samples of your work, and for writers, I will be sending you an outline from the game to see what you can do with the characters themselves. Feel free to add any comments, suggestions or feedback on the info we have (what intrigued you, what got you to apply, what caught your eye, what made you feel uncomfortable) in your application. Thanks!

Note: A little something for otoge-Real!: We also have a spin-off in the idea stage for the game so it would be nice if the future crew would work on the game with us as well.
Last edited by hiko27 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 21 times in total.
My art thread
links to portfolios

an otome game from a tsundere's pov

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: Recruiting: Writer, programmer and co-artist

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Otoge-Real sounds crazy awesome :D! As I'm swamped right now, can't offer much in the way of writing, but really hope you guys find who you're looking for and fast.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

hiko27
Veteran

#3 Post by hiko27 »

Hazel-Bun wrote:Otoge-Real sounds crazy awesome :D! As I'm swamped right now, can't offer much in the way of writing, but really hope you guys find who you're looking for and fast.
Ah thank you! otoge-Real! is our master project, I consider it my baby, mostly because I've been wanting to make an otome game with otome gamers in mind. Ah thanks again and hopefully we do *crosses fingers*
My art thread
links to portfolios

marimo
Regular

#4 Post by marimo »

Oh man <3 I would love to see some really good otoge game haha. Good luck! I hope you find someone soon!
ImageHonest Critique | Personal Art Thread (inactive tbh)
ImageCurrent Projects:
ImageAvailability: Commissions - Open

hiko27
Veteran

#5 Post by hiko27 »

marimo wrote:Oh man <3 I would love to see some really good otoge game haha. Good luck! I hope you find someone soon!
Ah thank you! And yes, we will try to make these games the best we can.
My art thread
links to portfolios

Sorakun
Regular
Completed: Techno Titans, Blood Metal Exorcism, Tom Cruiser, Mechadin, UPlay
IRC Nick: Sorakun

#6 Post by Sorakun »

If you still need a programmer Ill happily help out, I cant show any of my Ren'py work as of current but if your worried about clean code i could send you some of my c++ code.

The descriptions of the projects where a bit vague but it seems interesting.

Anyway, if there is anything open then just send me a reply.

hiko27
Veteran

#7 Post by hiko27 »

Sorakun wrote:If you still need a programmer Ill happily help out, I cant show any of my Ren'py work as of current but if your worried about clean code i could send you some of my c++ code.

The descriptions of the projects where a bit vague but it seems interesting.

Anyway, if there is anything open then just send me a reply.
Ah, it's okay with the clean code. I was actually thinking of not requiring that anymore because I'm messy myself when it comes to codes.

Oh, well, the programmer section for the projects are mostly in the features because the features we want in the game might be a bit complicated for beginner Ren'py programmers. Which project caught your interest? I'll gladly elaborate on each project for the programmer position.
My art thread
links to portfolios

Sorakun
Regular

#8 Post by Sorakun »

hiko27 wrote:Ah, it's okay with the clean code. I was actually thinking of not requiring that anymore because I'm messy myself when it comes to codes.

Oh, well, the programmer section for the projects are mostly in the features because the features we want in the game might be a bit complicated for beginner Ren'py programmers. Which project caught your interest? I'll gladly elaborate on each project for the programmer position.
Well i'd be quite interested in either of the projects, they both look kinda interesting, maybe you could specify what kind of features youd be interested in having in the game?

Also is there a specific time you would like the code to be complete by?

hiko27
Veteran

#9 Post by hiko27 »

Sorakun wrote:
hiko27 wrote:Ah, it's okay with the clean code. I was actually thinking of not requiring that anymore because I'm messy myself when it comes to codes.

Well i'd be quite interested in either of the projects, they both look kinda interesting, maybe you could specify what kind of features youd be interested in having in the game?

Also is there a specific time you would like the code to be complete by?
Of course! For the first project, otoge-Real!, we'll most likely have these:
  • Mini-games: Dialogue-based mini-games like the school tests in Persona 3 or 4, if you've seen them (probably, still not sure what type of mini-games would be fun)
  • A CG, music, and info/bonus gallery
  • Usual otome game/VN features: auto-mode, skip mode, read skip mode, save, load, temp save, temp load, in-game menu/settings
  • A password screen
  • Mix-and-match type of story, wherein the girl picks five guys and depending on who she picks, the guys react different to specific guys (so this game will consist of a lot of if commands, from what I remember of the ren'py codes)
  • And if we do manage to get voice acting, we might need a voice and/or video gallery
  • An MC customization screen
  • Character selection screen (wherein people have to select 5 people)
  • And since the MC is customizable, there will be TONS of CGs for the CG Gallery. Idk yet if that makes a difference
  • Opening and ending video
-The most challenging one for this, and the one that people mostly like about, is the mix-and-match feature.

For the second project, re:Girl, it's less complicated than the first project:
  • A battle system screen
  • A CG, music, and bonus/info gallery
  • Usual otome game/VN features: auto-mode, skip mode, read skip mode, save, load, temp save, temp load, in-game menu/settings
  • And if we do manage to get voice acting, we might need a voice and/or video gallery
  • A hero type selection screen
  • Some animation for the sprites or the CGs
  • Hero customization screen (skills to choose, what costume, etc)
  • And manga reading screen (since this project is based on manga style, this might be an option, instead of a video/voice gallery)
And as of yet, the projects are still in the planning project (especially re:Girl) but no, we don't really want to pressure any of our members with deadlines as we prefer quality over anything else. And these features are pretty hard and rare, so we don't really want to rush members.
My art thread
links to portfolios

Sorakun
Regular

#10 Post by Sorakun »

Well, after reading that, in c++ i could probebly do it in about a week so converting it to python and making it work with Ren'py id say 1-2 months for the first project

For the second project would be a bit less time id say maybe about a months work.

As the first one looks the most challanging id like to apply to work on that one as it looks like a lot of fun.

Is there anything you would like me to show for the application?
Unfortunatelly i dont have any current Ren'py projects i could show you but i could probebly put some kind of programmed demo reel together if you wanted an example

hiko27
Veteran

#11 Post by hiko27 »

Sorakun wrote:Well, after reading that, in c++ i could probebly do it in about a week so converting it to python and making it work with Ren'py id say 1-2 months for the first project

For the second project would be a bit less time id say maybe about a months work.

As the first one looks the most challanging id like to apply to work on that one as it looks like a lot of fun.

Is there anything you would like me to show for the application?
Unfortunatelly i dont have any current Ren'py projects i could show you but i could probebly put some kind of programmed demo reel together if you wanted an example
Mhmm, that's what I wanted for the first project, for it to not only be fun and interesting for players but for the people who made it as well. Ah, 1-2 months is okay. Actually, that sounds even better than for how long I could do the coding on my own. And sure thing, if it helps me see what you can do. I like looking at samples. Although the programming won't be for a few weeks or months (depends on how fast we can get a writer and co-artist for the first project), is that okay? We can give you access to our Google Drive folder for the game so that you can also help with game ideas, since this is a team effort and I just like giving access to fellow members to the game folder so that everybody can participate.
My art thread
links to portfolios

Sorakun
Regular

#12 Post by Sorakun »

Ofcourse, and there is no rush, i will probebly be working on my own VN untill the project starts, along with my school work so ill have plenty to do during the wait ^^.

I shall start work on a demo program tomorrow, it wont be anything too big but it should some basic stuff, also if you want i can show some of my work from another VN but using a different language (Alan Interactive Fiction), its a rather small and unkown language but it kind of follows the same princaples as Ren'py. Except that you can use Python with Ren'y.
Also if youd like to see some of my c++ code i can send you that aswell if you want to see how i code more "naturally".

If youd like to share the Google Drive folder with me that would be cool, it would be nice to see what you have so far and be able to watch it develop

hiko27
Veteran

#13 Post by hiko27 »

Sorakun wrote:Ofcourse, and there is no rush, i will probebly be working on my own VN untill the project starts, along with my school work so ill have plenty to do during the wait ^^.

I shall start work on a demo program tomorrow, it wont be anything too big but it should some basic stuff, also if you want i can show some of my work from another VN but using a different language (Alan Interactive Fiction), its a rather small and unkown language but it kind of follows the same princaples as Ren'py. Except that you can use Python with Ren'y.
Also if youd like to see some of my c++ code i can send you that aswell if you want to see how i code more "naturally".

If youd like to share the Google Drive folder with me that would be cool, it would be nice to see what you have so far and be able to watch it develop
Ah, that cool then. We'll most likely be able to work on the game fully during winter break. Either or every one of those is fine, I would love to see all of them if you want.

Please PM me your email then. Wouldn't want you to randomly get spam from others, if that's ever happened.
My art thread
links to portfolios

Dara
Deviantart: squippie

#14 Post by Dara »

AAAAAAAAAye. I love drawing guys. I'm totally okay with being the helping artist. I can try my best to adjust to your style if that's what you like. My forté is clothes since I used to draw a lot of fantasy clothes, so I guess re:Girl would be better for me if you'd like me to design costumes. UNLESS you want me to draw boys. I'm pretty decent at background line art. I'm an architect major.

email me if yer interested at all s.dara@email.com or want to see how I color

hiko27
Veteran

#15 Post by hiko27 »

Dara wrote:AAAAAAAAAye. I love drawing guys. I'm totally okay with being the helping artist. I can try my best to adjust to your style if that's what you like. My forté is clothes since I used to draw a lot of fantasy clothes, so I guess re:Girl would be better for me if you'd like me to design costumes. UNLESS you want me to draw boys. I'm pretty decent at background line art. I'm an architect major.

email me if yer interested at all s.dara@email.com or want to see how I color
Do you have a project that you personally would love to work with? Cause imo, you're okay with either or both projects. And sure, I'd love to see how you color. And your email doesn't seem to work? email.com or is that supposed to be gmail?
My art thread
links to portfolios