Customizing the Game Menu [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Llunet1
Regular
Projects: Reminiscence, Blood
Deviantart: llunet1

Customizing the Game Menu [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Llunet1 »

I'm having difficulties with the game menu. The menu on the side is being covered by... the save menu? (I'm not completely sure what to call that)

I believe it's caused by my font (since I customized it)... but I want to keep my font. So, how should I fix this?
This is how the game menu looks (if I don't do anything to it)
This is how the game menu looks (if I don't do anything to it)
- I made the background white for now

I've looked up how to use imagemaps... but I'm still not clear on how to use them. I've seen some of the code, but I am very confused... and I plugged in the code once and replaced the images with some images I made... and I didn't see the images at all. o-o (And I'm not sure how to show it only in the game menu)

Either, I have to move the menu (which I don't know how), make that save menu compressed either upward or to the left (which I've tried to no success - I've managed to get the buttons to compress, but not the square behind it), or make an imagemap.

Please help!

(If you need more images, I can do that)
Also, my font is "Talking To The Moon", which I downloaded online at dafont.com.
Last edited by Llunet1 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tsapas
Regular

Re: Customizing the Game Menu (Please help)

#2 Post by Tsapas »

Since you said you don't use imagemaps, I suppose your navigation screen menu code in screens.rpy looks like this

Code: Select all

frame:
        style_group "mm"
        xalign .98
        yalign .98

has vbox

textbutton _("Start Game") action Start()
        textbutton _("Load Game") action ShowMenu("load")
        textbutton _("Preferences") action ShowMenu("preferences")
        textbutton _("Help") action Help()
        textbutton _("Quit") action Quit(confirm=False)
A quick solution would be to change "has vbox" to "has hbox" which would make the menu buttons stack next to each other in a row on the bottom of the screen and not interfere with save screen, but don't know if it'll be practical or pleasing to the eye. Plus it could potentially be off-screen depending on your game resolution and the size of the buttons.

Llunet1
Regular
Projects: Reminiscence, Blood
Deviantart: llunet1

Re: Customizing the Game Menu (Please help)

#3 Post by Llunet1 »

Thank you! It worked!

I'll try fixing the buttons (I can at least change the size)