The Crystal Castle [GxB, Fantasy, Adventure]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

The Crystal Castle [GxB, Fantasy, Adventure]

#1 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Slays Men is finally dead but the horrors of the Wild War are far from over. As the newly crowned Queen of a war torn kingdom the only way to ensure the survival of your people through the harsh winter is to accept an alliance by marriage with Prince Malthe of nearby Therantil. Allowing him, and whatever he brings with him, into...
The Crystal Castle
This is a short game, 15 minutes to a half hour. Contains non-graphic violence and very minor language. There are 4 possible endings.

Attachments
The Crystal Castle-1.0-linux.tar.bz2
Linux Version
(26.03 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
The Crystal Castle-1.0-mac.zip
Mac Version
(23.57 MiB) Downloaded 140 times
The Crystal Castle-1.0-win.zip
Windows Version
(24.18 MiB) Downloaded 1436 times
Last edited by Flowers from Nowhere on Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sheridan
Regular
Completed: Tea & Sympathy, 51 cards

Re: The Crystal Castle [GxB, Fantasy, Adventure]

#2 Post by Sheridan »

I haven't finished playing through all the endings yet, but I just wanted to say that I love your choices of background music. The visuals are kind of plain, but the music really sustains the dream atmosphere.

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular

#3 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Thank you! The music comes from various open source creators and I was very pleased with all of the pieces I found.

It's sad but true about the art. Art is only a secondary skill of mine and Malthe in particular is my very first sprite. I've gotten a bit better which should be reflected in my next game but I decided it was more important to release something than to keep touching it up and have a perfect game no one ever sees.

It occurs to me I didn't mention that The Crystal Castle has 4 endings. I have edited the initial post to show that.

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#4 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Hi, sounds interesting :) *downloading now* I'll give you my thoughts after.
i'll cry if you yell at me

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#5 Post by silverpikachu99 »

Ok, so here's the review:
First of all, congrats on finishing this! I'm so sorry I didn't say that before ^^; Anyway, so about the story- it actually wasn't that bad! Very interesting, and easy to follow (to some extent) At the beginning, I didn't quite understand what was going on at all. You didn't really explain what going on with the magic, etc. To me, It felt rushed like you just wanted to finish rather then take your time. The art wasn't spectacular, but definitely a start! Don't feel discouraged about it, practice makes everything better :) The writing in general was actually very well done! The way you phrased each sentence. Descriptive and really does go with the time period you were going for. The music was very nice too! It went very well with the theme! So, my advice is to practice, practice, practice! I'm sure your art will gradually improve! Make sure to take your time! The story would have been much better without the rush!
Hope this helps! :)
i'll cry if you yell at me

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular

#6 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Thank you so much for your feedback!

Exposition was my biggest concern for this game. I don’t like exposition as a general rule and try to edit it out wherever possible. If this is done right then the story is uncluttered and feels natural. If this is done badly then people have a hard time following it and understanding what is happening.

It sounds like I didn’t get enough information to the audience. I’ll take another look at that to see what I can do better next time.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by philip »

An interesting story! Found the GOOD ending (Hurrah!) Will go back in a bit and explore the others. Nice job.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#8 Post by wyverngem »

:D This was a really touching and interesting story! I was a little confused at first as well, but it didn't take away my interest. The last ending was a fun challenge. I really love your use of music in this and how it all seem to tie together nicely. The one thing I'd think would be interesting would be to make it in the eyes of the friend.

mayshing
Regular
Completed: Once an Artist, E-Depth Angel: Pinocchio's Murder
Projects: Be Mine Mr. Divine, Mizuchi, Assess K
Organization: Altabe Studio LLC
Deviantart: Mayshing

#9 Post by mayshing »

Will have to try this out in my free time! This seems like a nice short game to try out!
That's the way life outta be