Mae's art thread (Taking requests and seeking critique.)

Art threads specific to a single artist.
maetropa

Mae's art thread (Taking requests and seeking critique.)

#1 Post by maetropa »

I've been drawing a bit more recently, hoping to get Christmas presents done for friends and maybe even some personal drawings.

Anyway, just drawing similar things repeatedly isn't going to help, especially if I'm just reinforcing the mistakes, so I though perhaps I could post some of my pieces on here and get critiques and do some requests so I'm not stuck drawing the same characters and emotions over and over.

I suppose this'll be a bit of give and take! Good critique will probably make me put your request at a higher priority and dedicated time, since I want to show my appreciation.

e: I don't mind harsh critique at all, and often actually prefer, though any comments regarding my pictures and what looks right / wrong / etc is helpful, even if it's something small.
Attachments
1383444680050.jpg
1383105378844.jpg
201311021428.png
Last edited by maetropa on Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Re: Mae's art thread (Taking requests and seeking critique.)

#2 Post by MaiMai »

What do you want critique on specifically? There's a lot I can see you need to do, but I'd rather know what you'd like to improve on first before I give advice.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

maetropa

#3 Post by maetropa »

Hm, I'm not certain either, but I think general structure is probably my weakest point, as well as miniscule details, which I'm never certain whether I should gloss over as to not steal attention or not.

I have lots of issues drawing the actual head build as well, either making the chin and cheeks way too chubby or way too spikey, but always rather stocky, which doesn't work well when I try to draw not-boys.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

So basically, you're lacking fundamentals, especially in terms of anatomy? And it doesn't seem like you know what kind of style you want to draw in, but aside from that, the best course of action is to look up some basic anatomy lessons and Andrew Loomis is usually the source people point to for beginners. You can download one of his many books here (get the PDFs on figure drawing and drawing heads and hands) : http://alexhays.com/loomis/

It's a lot of information, but at the very least you should glean over the Loomis works. Miniscule details are the least of your problems right now. As you said yourself, you have trouble with general structure in terms of the body and head build and that's due to the lack of knowledge of how those forms actually look.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

maetropa

#5 Post by maetropa »

I remember reading through Loomis' books about a year back, but that was when I was less interested in all around drawing and more into animal arts. It's about time I went through them again, thanks!

Yeah, I have no idea whatsoever what kind of 'style' I want, and I figured I'd fight that battle when I'm a bit more experienced in the fundamentals.

maetropa

#6 Post by maetropa »

Did some faces after going through one of Loomis' books, and then played around with colours because those are fun.
Attachments
201311041139.png
1383523451606.jpg

maetropa

#7 Post by maetropa »

I don't even know anymore? Cute girls, hum.
Attachments
1383627214768.jpg

JumpJump
Veteran
Projects: 9413
Organization: 2wo dollars

#8 Post by JumpJump »

Are you still open for requests?
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

Old and new, whatever you want. All is here.

maetropa

#9 Post by maetropa »

Yes, I am!

JumpJump
Veteran

#10 Post by JumpJump »

I would pick something, but I'm stumped. I'm afraid that I'm going to be mean and say that you have the choice of any of my characters from my folder dump.
"You are the master of understatement, chief. You had a foursome with the Elephant Man and a couple of foreign princesses. I'd head on out before the paparazzi arrive, if I were you." - Barry the time travelling sprout

maetropa

#11 Post by maetropa »

JumpJump wrote:I would pick something, but I'm stumped. I'm afraid that I'm going to be mean and say that you have the choice of any of my characters from my folder dump.
Attachments
Georgiana (?)
Georgiana (?)

JumpJump
Veteran

#12 Post by JumpJump »

Thank you. Is there anyway I could repay you?

maetropa

#13 Post by maetropa »

Just tell me what seems off and what seems good, so I know what to improve.

JumpJump
Veteran

#14 Post by JumpJump »

I don't really think that I could give criticism. It'll be long winded and boring if I tried to explain my reasons. But. I'll try and say what comes to my mind when I look at the request you did for me.

To me, there is nothing "wrong" that I can see with the outlines. I can understand where others might come from when they talk about outlines and the need to have clean line-art. But when you are still gaining confidence in you own abilities, hitting the standards that others have is a near impossible task. I can "see" who it was you drew and that is the point. As long as you can show what It is you are trying to show, then you did a good job. I remember reading a comic once and the style was so messy. Not to say that it was bad, but, I just couldn't focus on anything in any comic panels. The outlines worked against it sadly. On the other hand, I've never had my work published, so what can I say.

With the form and shape of the head and neck. I think It looks realistic, again, nothing wrong. It took me years to do things like adding a nose and ears, so you are ahead of me in that department.