game design first

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
thecorpament

game design first

#1 Post by thecorpament »

To be successful in game development, it’s important to map out exactly where you want to go and what you want to do. There seems to be a lot of design-related posts in here, so I would say everyone should give Video Game Design Pro a shot. It’s a design documentation tool used to help guide users through the process of creating their designs. http://www.thecorpament.com/downloads.html
Please download a free trial version of the Video Game Design Pro program from here http://www.thecorpament.com/downloads.html

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#2 Post by mikey »

Poll: Spambot or guerilla marketer?

Ignosco
Veteran

#3 Post by Ignosco »

Spambot, judging from the e-mail, msn etc...

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#4 Post by yummy »

I'd say spam for a targetaudience aka viral marketing.

Jake
Support Hero

#5 Post by Jake »

yummy wrote:I'd say spam for a targetaudience aka viral marketing.
Really, 'Viral Marketing' usually implies that the marketer is trying to get the product absorbed into a cultural phenomenon, e.g. the Snakes on a Plane movie (however intentional that may or may not have been) or NIN's intentional 'leaking' of tracks on USB sticks prior to the last album release, and accompanying hidden game-thing.

This guy just seems to be directly advertising a product, he's not hiding who he is or embedding the product inside some other cultural container, so I'd just call it plain 'marketing'.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

And to correct my own option, this isn't guerilla marketing either - a guerilla marketer will lurk (get to know the community) and post normal comments for months, to get the trust of people, and then just let the people know about a product, just like when someone honestly finds a piece of software that he wants to share with other forum members.

So yes, this is simple marketing, advertising, self-promotion... and probably an automated one, since as pointed out, there are too many details filled out in the profile. A guerilla marketer would know that and adapt ^_^. But then again, this probably isn't the most profitable group of people to waste their time on.
Jake wrote:Really, 'Viral Marketing' usually implies that the marketer is trying to get the product absorbed into a cultural phenomenon,
I wonder whether for instance the Haruhi Suzumiya dance was designed with this in mind... These days it's very difficult to tell the calculated success from the "normal" one. Especially since there are more and more guides for making your project successful against the millions of other ones.

Matt_D
Regular

#7 Post by Matt_D »

lol my buddy was the origonal Haruhi Suzumiya dancer - true story - he was bored one day, recoreded it, stuck it on his youtube, an hour later he had a few hundred hits, this confused him but he ignored it and went to bed. He woke up the next day to have tens of thousands of hits. Suddenly he realised something very wrong had happend.

After a week he had a few hundred thousand hits. Funny stuff.
--------------------
Back and making myself unpopular again

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

mikey wrote:I wonder whether for instance the Haruhi Suzumiya dance was designed with this in mind...
My gut feeling is no. Kyonai just tried to make an interesting ending, but I doubt they intended it to go viral. I think that the opening of Lucky Star tried to intentionally go viral, but has mostly failed.

(Of course, I personally like the Haruhi opening better then the ending.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by monele »

Especially since there are more and more guides for making your project successful against the millions of other ones.
Is this why everyone succeeds nowadays? :D...