Romance is Dead [otome, Burtonesque] - bugfixed v1.1

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Romance is Dead [otome, Burtonesque] - bugfixed v1.1

#31 Post by Taleweaver »

xavimat wrote:Really nice story (I haven't finished yet). I have a strange feeling about the end. We'll see.

Btw, I've downloaded the 1.1 version, and there is no help file. When I click on "help" the browser starts with a "can't find the file" message.
That's because I didn't make a help file >.< Frankly, the game doesn't really need one. Sorry about the bug, but that's one I don't think I'll be fixing.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#32 Post by AntiquedFae »

I played through a few of the paths and I think it is a lot of fun! I'm not so interested in the otome aspect of it(not at all surprising, as I don't usually go for otome) but I liked learning about all the different characters' histories, and the bits of black humor certainly did not go unnoticed--or unappreciated. ;) Something that I think is really unique about this game is how prominent being friends with different characters plays into the endings you get. I was really fond of that choice. ^_^ In all, I think it is a very entertaining diversion with great writing and an especially unique and quirky mood to it.

Now, I'm not sure if this is just because I may have a strange brain, but to me it seemed like even a few of the not-so-good endings had an amount of black humor in them. Was this intentional, or am I just that morbid...?

Regardless, I definitely enjoyed playing this. Thank you for the story! :D
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#33 Post by Taleweaver »

AntiquedFae wrote:Now, I'm not sure if this is just because I may have a strange brain, but to me it seemed like even a few of the not-so-good endings had an amount of black humor in them. Was this intentional, or am I just that morbid...?
It's not you - the game is a little morbid, and intentionally so. I called this a "Burtonesque", and you can't go Burton without also going a little macabre.
More about me in my blog

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#34 Post by azureXtwilight »

My internet connection can't download the game from the site (odd, I know), but I really want to play the game due to the burtonesque premise! Do you have a mirror somewhere else?
Last edited by azureXtwilight on Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hachiko
Regular

#35 Post by Hachiko »

K, finally got Maurice's bad ending. Also +1 for whoever said Don looked like that character from Phineas and Ferb :lol:

Was really surprised the one where Adam left and occasionally came back to visit was considered the best one, since I was thinking maybe the both of them would have more than that (but I guess it's more realistic that way) (also I always cringe when I see Adam's yellow teeth when he smiles hehe).

Something I've noticed from your previous game 'The Dreaming' and this one too, why not add any CGs?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#36 Post by Taleweaver »

azureXtwilight wrote:My internet connection can't download the game from the site (odd, I know), but I really want to play the game due to the burtonesque premise! Do you have a mirror somewhere else?
...looks like I really have to, then. Coming tonight.
Something I've noticed from your previous game 'The Dreaming' and this one too, why not add any CGs?
Because I can't draw, I didn't want to pay for any, and my artist was too short on time to create some for free.

I'd really like adding more CGs to my games. If I could find someone to work with who can actually make them >.<
More about me in my blog

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#37 Post by Taleweaver »

Mirror is up. Check the opening post.
More about me in my blog

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#38 Post by azureXtwilight »

Many thanks! I'll play and review as soon as I can!

Edit : Have been playing through some of the endings, I'm not sure how many endings are there, but so far they are all very nice! I love your writing as always, and all the characters seems so different from each other with the way they speak, and that's what makes them feel alive. I like Maddie's character, she's got some spunk. And boy do I love her surprised expression~!
Poor Adam, he's actually a cadaver! Now I am thinking about all the cadavers back in my campus... Don's ending where he goes to heaven actually got me teary-eyed, and I loved that you conclude it in such a way. Dead people should remain dead, after all... Still, can't say his happy ending is bad either. I am wondering if he will rot somewhere in the future though?

Don certainly left some impression in me, his wrath ending was quite morbid and I am very interested in his backstory. It's quite a sad ending, knowing that he is my favorite character, but for some reasons I kind of like it. What is wrong with me! Still, he always leave in the end, even at the good ending. I think it's probably for the best? :')

However, appearance-wise, Maurice is the best! I like all of his expressions, they are all so quirky and weird! I love how he is so happy-go-lucky and not too brooding like, uh, most people portray vampires nowadays. I do think he is the most important character, since getting nice to him gives you the good endings!
All and all, I love it! It really does gives me a burtonesque feeling I'd hoped for. Can't wait to play more games from you!

Chibichann
Regular

#39 Post by Chibichann »

looks cute will download

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#40 Post by Taleweaver »

azureXtwilight wrote:All and all, I love it! It really does gives me a burtonesque feeling I'd hoped for. Can't wait to play more games from you!
Thanks for the warm words!

What took me the most time with this project (aside from looking for suitable BG art) was actually making sure the three "romancables" each have a distinct way of speaking. It was quite easy for Adam (though it took me some effort to actually find authentic expressions he would use), the other two, however, gave me some trouble. Having Maurice throw in a few French words wasn't difficult, but even after that, something was lacking, so I also added some overblown drama to his expressions, and a tendency for "big words". As for Don, the idea I went with was "respect" - that someone from his social background would approach people with the highest possible degree of respect for them - and went with that. (One thing I had in the script but dropped because it didn't really fit was him misunderstanding Adam's nickname for him - he wouldn't know the character Adam was referencing but he would know another famous character with the same name. I still think the joke would work anywhere else, but here it was just... inappropriate.)

As for Maddie - I'm a big fan of strong female leads in my stories, so making this an otome game was pretty much natural. I tried not to dwell to much on her science background, but what I mentioned, I tried to base on the real thing. So the courses Maddie's taking really exist, the things she says she does are what biology students do, and so on. Also, I put a bit of time into researching New Orleans geography, and I hope it shows.

Again, thanks for your critique; much appreciated.
More about me in my blog

Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

#41 Post by Sleipnir56 »

Great Game. The back stories of all the characters were really sad especially Don's. Poor guy had it the roughest since
his teacher betrayed him. The possessing ending for him was also unexpected and the wrath ending was sad. I'd call his true ending happy yet sad. I'm really glad Adam was free at the end so he would be a zombie forever.
It was also a little saddening that Adam
never got to see his father again. I don't think he could've died again if he commit suicide like that but the thought of his evening thinking that was a little much for me. Also, I kind of wish Adam has a more romantic ending but that's because I'm a bit of a hopeless romantic and go all mushy with things like that. It's stupid I know :(
Not really into
vampires
but Maurice was kind of a nice guy (even though it felt like he helped when it suited him.
His ending was really cute to. I was actually wondering if Maddie was going to be a vampire later on in her life
?

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#42 Post by Taleweaver »

Yeah, Don's good ending is supposed to be melancholic. But if you keep in mind his other two endings, you know that this was the best outcome he could have hoped for. And just look at him in the end. He's happy with the outcome, and Maddie can share his happiness.

Adam's story was one of "what constitutes a happy life". And since you know where his feelings for Maddie came from, it shouldn't be a surprise for you how the two of them end up in the best case.

Your analysis of Maurice's behavior is spot-on. But that's what these Frenchmen are like ;)

But would Maddie really want to join Maurice like that? And give up everything else? I don't really see her as that kind of person.
More about me in my blog

Sleipnir56
Veteran

#43 Post by Sleipnir56 »

I understand. You're right. It's good that he had and ending like that and that Maddie was happy to
let them go.
His other two ending were a surprise.
The Wrath ending was really sad though. Don was a nice guy and I didn't like to see him suffer like that. :(
So I get what you mean about the true ending happening like that. Makes good sense :)

Adam and Maddie are similar in a way, and he does visit here. I'm glad he was able to come to terms with his death. Also cool how you made Adam go with Don's story. That was well done to.

And I didn't think I'd get his personality right :shock: . I just liked how he was written and how he didn't remind me of some horrible vampires I won't name. And I don't see her like that either. They make good friends but maybe not good lovers

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#44 Post by Taleweaver »

Sleipnir56 wrote:Adam and Maddie are similar in a way, and he does visit here. I'm glad he was able to come to terms with his death. Also cool how you made Adam go with Don's story. That was well done to.
Yeah, in Don's path, Adam is left kinda alone with his problems. You know from his path where he goes to on the evening Maddie visits Don, and what he's pondering. In Don's good ending, Adam decides to talk to Maddie about that. In Don's not-so-good ending, he doesn't. :)
More about me in my blog

Sleipnir56
Veteran

#45 Post by Sleipnir56 »

I'll admit it was hard getting Don's good ending because Adam didn't show up. I kind of got Don's good ending on accident but was excited that I got it.

Also, on another note, I really liked Adam. He likes to think about things rather then just act on his emotions. Maddie is very much the same. She believes in love as well but won't settle from some random joe on that street. I still hope she'll find someone for herself one day :)