VNs Based Off of Shows?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Dazed
Completed: Katawa Shoujo, The Dolls' Stories
Projects: Fish & Chicks

VNs Based Off of Shows?

#1 Post by Dazed »

Hey there. Okay, so I haven't been into VNs for very long and still consider myself fairly new to them.

Aside from Starswirl Academy, the VN based on My Little Pony: FiM, does anyone know of any other VNs that are based off of current TV shows or cartoons? Is it rare to do that because of trademarks and copyrights? I actually had a few ideas to start up a VN based on a cartoon, but I don't know how quickly it would be shot down because of "legal" matters.
New to the forum. Good things to come!....erm, I hope.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: VNs Based Off of Shows?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

Fangames have certain downsides:

1) They can be cease and desisted, especially if they get popular.
2) They're not a very good way to show off your writing skills.

But they also have upsides.

1) They garner tons of popularity because of the inherent popularity of the thing they're based on.
2) They're good practice for beginners by going off an existing world.

I'd say they're ok to do, but don't put too much work into it, since there's always the possibility they might be forced down.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#3 Post by fleet »

If you do decide to make a VN based on a show, do NOT attempt to sell it.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Sakai
Regular
Projects: Ragged Heart
Organization: Afterthought Studios

#4 Post by Sakai »

And well could have some copyright problems knowing these days :'|

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#5 Post by fleet »

You might want to contact the copyright owners and request permission to do your VN based on the show (do this BEFORE doing a lot of work). If you do request permission, be sure to provide a brief plot summary. The worst the copyright holder can do is say "No."
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

You might want to contact the copyright owners and request permission to do your VN based on the show (do this BEFORE doing a lot of work). If you do request permission, be sure to provide a brief plot summary. The worst the copyright holder can do is say "No."
However, in most cases the legal team is obligated to say no, and then to take action against you if you carry on anyway. Unofficially, many copyright holders would prefer to be able to pretend they don't know about your project.

If you're dealing with a small IP controlled by a single person that you can talk to directly, then there's a chance of saying yes.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

There's always a risk in creating fan labor. Some projects get finished, released, and are readily available online. Others end after a cease-and-desist notification.
papillon wrote:If you're dealing with a small IP controlled by a single person that you can talk to directly, then there's a chance of saying yes.
Two examples of VNs being created with the original creators' consent: All is Fair in Dust and Air, based on Guns of Icarus Online; and Bliss Stage: Love is Your Weapon, based on an indie roleplaying game.

Sslaxx
Regular
Deviantart: sslaxx
Github: Sslaxx
Discord: Sslaxx#0159

#8 Post by Sslaxx »

gekiganwing wrote:There's always a risk in creating fan labor. Some projects get finished, released, and are readily available online. Others end after a cease-and-desist notification.
papillon wrote:If you're dealing with a small IP controlled by a single person that you can talk to directly, then there's a chance of saying yes.
Two examples of VNs being created with the original creators' consent: All is Fair in Dust and Air, based on Guns of Icarus Online; and Bliss Stage: Love is Your Weapon, based on an indie roleplaying game.
Are those not both commercial, officially licensed products?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

fullmontis
Regular
Deviantart: fullmontis
itch: fullmontis

#9 Post by fullmontis »

papillon wrote: If you're dealing with a small IP controlled by a single person that you can talk to directly, then there's a chance of saying yes.
I doubt that's the case for a tv show...