Recruiting ideabouncer(s) and writer(s)

Forum rules
Recruiting Rules: (1) Only recruit if you have an actual, clearly defined project you're recruiting for. Don't recruit if you're an organization that may have a project at some time in the future. (2) Tell people what kind of work you have for them. For commissions, also tell them how much work it will probably be. (3) Tell people how much work on your project is already complete. (4) Always open recruitment threads in the correct subforum - Free, Commercial or Paid Work.
Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Recruiting ideabouncer(s) and writer(s)

#1 Post by Katta »

I'm looking for ideabouncers and writers for Eternal Forest - a fantasy raising sim about elves.

You play as a young elf (gender choosable) coming of age and searching for their path in life. You can choose locations you want to travel to and activities to do there, raise your skills and abilities, meet new people (and elves of course) and even decide the fate of the world.
(sprite artist - ningyohime07)

There are about 20 locations and 50 characters planned for now. Besides the main plot about the upcoming war with Dark Elves, there will be separate plotlines depending on the location/activity. So I'm looking for a person to give feedback on my own ideas and create their own:
1) romance stories - I would like to have several romanceable characters for each gender, but my own ideas for romance plots are not that many for now.
2) career and professional growth stories - I love this kind of stories myself, so I would like to have some in the game.
3) names, festivals, random events, lore ideas

Writing:
The game is a sim, so each story will be shown in episodes, 10-20 episodes/a story. The episodes should be pretty short (about 500 words).
If you're volunteering for a writer position please expect to finish at least one story (that being about 10k words).

The general style I'm looking for is light-hearted high fantasy (though some darker themes/difficult choices are fine too).
Episode sample:
1. TIRAEL: Ah, the new recruit. Commander Hael told me to expect you. What’s your name?
2. PLAYER: [NAME]
3. TIRAEL: I’m Tirael, captain of the squad of which you are now a member. But the commander has filled you in on the details, I’m sure.
4. TIRAEL: Welcome to the fort. More hands are always needed these days, apparently, as long as they can serve a purpose.
5. TIRAEL: Not that there’s much to occupy yourself with here. Some people whisper of increased unrest at the border, but it’s nothing more than idle gossip, if you ask me.
6. TIRAEL: But of course, it’s my sword that my superiors care about, not my opinion. Not that either receives much use around here.
7. TIRAEL: What of you? What spurred you into joining our ranks? I hope it wasn’t fortune or glory or any of that, or you’re going to be disappointed.
8. PLAYER:
● Frankly, sir, my motivations aren’t your concern. (GO TO 9.1.)
● I just want to help however I can. (GO TO 9.2.)
● Fame, fortune, and adventure. That’s why I’m here. (GO TO 9.3.)
9.1. TIRAEL: Fair enough. That will teach me to show an interest in those who serve under me, won’t it.
9.2. TIRAEL: Very admirable. But do yourself a favour and don’t go telling that to everyone around here or you’ll be taking over all their undesirable jobs before you know it.
9.3. TIRAEL: Of course it is. Well, you might gain fame as the best dishwasher or boot-polisher in the fort, but I can’t guarantee you anything beyond that.
10. TIRAEL: Anyway, I suppose we best put you to work, recruit. I assume you already have some degree of proficiency with a sword?
11. PLAYER:
● Sword, spear, axe – I’m deadly with any weapon in my hand. (GO TO 12.1.)
● I’m no stranger to combat. (GO TO 12.2.)
● A little. I still have a lot to learn. (GO TO 12.3.)
12.1. TIRAEL: Bravado is only ever false or true. We’ll learn what yours is in time, you can be sure of that.
12.2. TIRAEL: Good. Then if trouble does ever find us, I’ll expect you to hold your own.
12.3. TIRAEL: No doubt you do. Luckily for you, you have me to learn from.
13. TIRAEL: Now, grab your gear. I’m about to head out on patrol, and you’re coming with me.
14. TIRAEL: Commander Hael will expect you to know these woods like the back of your hand. But don’t worry, regular patrols will drum the knowledge into you soon enough.
15. TIRAEL: Just follow me – and my orders – and we’ll get this over and done with. Understood?
16. PLAYER: Yes, captain.
17. TIRAEL: Excellent. Then let’s go.
Samples with narration - 1, 2
Last edited by Katta on Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rousseau

Re: Recruiting ideabouncer(s) and writer(s)

#2 Post by Rousseau »

Just for clairity, are we to assume that this is a free game? And the writing will be volunteer?

Katta
Veteran

#3 Post by Katta »

The game will be free, as for the writing I'm able to pay but not that much so volunteer work will be much appreciated but if your services are paid please feel free to send me your rates and samples too.

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#4 Post by Ferdokki »

Hi. :)

I wouldn't mind writing for free, but I have some questions first. :?:

When writing the script, do I have to include where the decision spots are made? For example, in the example script you gave, it showed the choices "GO TO 9.1" and "GO TO 9.2". I'm not all too familiar with Ren'Py coding, so if doing that for the script is required, I don't think I can take the position.
BUT, if you're the one embedding the decision branches, then it's no problem for me.

Also, when you do choose a writer/helper for the project, are you going to provide some sort of outline regarding how you want the story to progress, specifics of the story, and etc? Because I prefer to collaborate with the creator, and make sure you're getting what you want for a game you're working so hard on. :wink:

And last question, do you have any specific deadlines as to how often you want scripts/ideas due?

Katta
Veteran

#5 Post by Katta »

The decisions in the sample don't have anything to do with Ren'py script, that's just how the writer chose to do them - so you may write in any other form you like, but yes, if the scene requires some decision to be made, I would expect you to write both outcomes.

I have a document with all the ideas, character and locations descriptions and plot outlines I have so far and of course it'll be provided to the writer/ideabouncer. And of course I will gladly answer any questions/discuss the plot - that's actually one of the reasons I'm looking for an ideabouncer too - discussing things really helps me come up with new ideas myself.

No, I don't have any specific deadlines, but it would be good if you write at least one episode (about 500 words) a week, because fewer than that will make writing even one story unreasonable long(

Ferdokki
Veteran

#6 Post by Ferdokki »

I'm kinda iffy about whether or not I want to work on it, only because I'm not sure if you'll like my work.
How about I do some sort of sample dialogue for you, just so you can see if you like my style?

You could make up some scenario and give me a character or something, and I could write a mini dialogue.

Katta
Veteran

#7 Post by Katta »

Ok, how about that:
Female MC works in a shop. An elf with a mechanical arm comes there to pick up his goods. He thinks MC looks familiar and asks if she’s related to "MC’s mother's name". MC answers, getting distracted from placing some boxes on top of a shelf. Boxes fall out of her hands and the elf hurries to catch them with his mechanical arm. MC’s eyes widen when she sees his arm and this causes the elf to quickly shy away and leave the shop.
The elf's name is Rynth but he doesn't introduce himself in this episode. I don't have a name for MC's mother yet.

Ferdokki
Veteran

#8 Post by Ferdokki »

Hold up, last question before I attempt this (sorry about this).
...Uh, by MC, are we meaning that she's a DJ? ...or does this MC mean something else?

Katta
Veteran

#9 Post by Katta »

By MC I mean Main Character (I've checked the dictionary and it has this abbreviation, so I guess I still can use it)

Ferdokki
Veteran

#10 Post by Ferdokki »

Thanks! I'll get back to you hopefully by today or tomorrow.

Ferdokki
Veteran

#11 Post by Ferdokki »

Ahem (*cough cough*), how's this? Please be honest about what you think, as this is my first time doing this with a game concept in mind.

Rynth: Hello. Um, I placed an order yesterday for a box of gears and bolts. I got a message that my package is ready to be picked up. I was wondering if I could…say, you look very familiar.
MC: Who, me?
Rynth: Yeah…(trails into deep thought trying to remember someone/something)
MC: Oh, you know, it’s just Generic Shopkeeper Face, nothing fascinating.
Rynth: No, no it’s not that. You look like someone I used to know…(more deep thinking)
MC: Uh…? (slightly weirded out)
Rynth: Hmm, would you happen to be related to [MC’s mom’s name]?
MC: (Caught off guard with the question) Um, yeah. Actually, she’s my mother. (Distracted from putting the boxes on the top shelf. They start tumbling.) Ack!
Rynth: Careful! (Reaches out by instinct with his mechanical arm to catch a few.)
MC: (seeing his mechanical arm for the first time, eyes widen) Woah… your arm…
Rynth: (minor panic)Ah, I think I'll go now...(leaves the shop very quickly)
MC: (still a little dazed; inner thoughts) His arm was completely mechanical! But it’s like he freaked out because I noticed. I wonder what that was all about. And I wonder how he knows mother

So, I did a dialogue between the 2 characters, though if you prefer more personal narrative/inner thoughts about what's going on from the MC, I could put that in too.

Katta
Veteran

#12 Post by Katta »

Thank you for writing the scene!

I seem to be doing something wrong, that people keep thinking that I need screenplay))) when in fact the story episodes will be the same as a visual novel - yes, with first person narrative, inner thoughts and all actions described as in a book.

All in all the dialog is pretty nice, especially the Generic Shopkeeper Face) but I'm looking for a bit more elevated style, for now their speech is a bit too simple/casual, what do you think, can you make their speech more refined?

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#13 Post by RunicV »

Hello!

I'd like to help you with this project. I know that you already have a writer but I'm still hoping I can be of use, whether as an ideabouncer or a second writer. I'm not sure if my style is to your liking, perhaps you could also let me write a snippet of dialogue?

<3
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.

Katta
Veteran

#14 Post by Katta »

Great! Yes, I have a writer and I like his style very much, but it's impossible for one person to do all the writing in a reasonable time.

How about that:
(sorry, I don't have names for the characters yet)
MC works in the library and gets approached by the mage (MC probably knows him, as he's a magic school teacher, so he shouldn't introduce himself), probably they have some polite chit-chat first, then he asks MC to do him a favour and distract the librarian for a while, because he wants to prepare a surprise for her. You may agree or disagree since it's against the rules. If you agree he leaves some present at her table. If you refuse he leaves disappointed.
Image Image

RunicV
Veteran
IRC Nick: RunicV

#15 Post by RunicV »

MC works in the library and gets approached by the mage (MC probably knows him, as he's a magic school teacher, so he shouldn't introduce himself), probably they have some polite chit-chat first, then he asks MC to do him a favour and distract the librarian for a while, because he wants to prepare a surprise for her. You may agree or disagree since it's against the rules. If you agree he leaves some present at her table. If you refuse he leaves disappointed.

I assume MC is the blue-haired girl? Does the mage want to prepare a surprise for the librarian or for the MC? I'm confused on who's "her".
<3
Hatred: the absence of love.
Please, treat me with kindness.