The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence [Drama, Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence
Organization: Anansi Media

The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence [Drama, Romance]

#1 Post by tnm6 »

The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence
A Game by Anansi Media
Genre(s): Drama; Romance
Type: Visual Novel (1st of a trilogy)
Game Status: Currently in development
Development Team:
Toby Maddox: Producer, Writer & Editor
Terracottapie: Composer & Editor
Tyler Thompson: Composer
Alera Exlibris: Artist (Backgrounds, CGs, & Sprites)
Green Glasses Girl: Artist (Logo)
Anne: Artist (GUI)
Katta: Consultant
Update (12/7): Thank you to the wonderful Kokoro Hane who has joined the Development Team as a song vocalist.

Completion Percentages (11/26/13):
Script: 60%
Editing: 25%
Sprites: 100%
Coding: 0%
Music: 100%
Backgrounds: 100%
CG: 100%
GUI: 50%
Audio: 80%
Overview:

The Remembrance Trilogy is a series of Free-to-Play Visual Novels linked by thematic content. The narratives are crafted to touch upon the complexity of human nature and the psychological responses to “loss.”

The Remembrance Trilogy

Remembrance: a retained mental impression; a memory

As humans, the most precious thing we possess is our mind. It harnesses our emotions and retains our personality. It defines us. But what defines our minds? Is it the behavior we learn? The environment in which we live? Or is it the sum of our experiences, the memories we cherish as the tides of life carry us from one place to the next?

Each person possesses a unique story: a private book that weaves a tale of pain, sorrow, happiness, and love. Not everyone will hear your story, and perhaps no else ever will, but as long as you remember, the experiences live on in your heart.

The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence

Game Synopsis

Reminiscence: the mental act of recalling and reliving past experiences.

For Luka Rossi, memories are the focal point of life: memories of happiness, memories of love—memories of a life that was stripped away.

Over two years have passed since his wife’s accident, but every day since has been marred by the horrible tragedy. Now, as bitterness and anger consume him, he is at a crossroads of emotional discord; the choice is simple: move forward and re-start his life, or succumb to the corrosive hatred festering within his heart. Yet, as he struggles with his tumultuous feelings, a chance meeting with a strange man will forever alter his outlook on life. As the two discuss their respective stories with one another, they each share in the other’s pain, sorrow, happiness, and love, leaving a lasting impression that will forever resonate within Luka.

Characters

Luka Rossi

A shattered and broken man, Luka is a shell of his former self: where he was once filled with passion and ideals, he now burns with anger and emotional discord. For two years his life has descended into ruin, his spirit stifled by the tragic accident that left his wife permanently crippled. Now questioning his own purpose and will to live, Luka contemplates whether it is possible to rebuild his life with the fragmented pieces that remain.

Jonathan Callahan

An elderly man with a warm and compassionate personality, Jonathan has a chance encounter with Luka at the hospital. Intuitively recognizing the young man’s emotional tailspin, Jonathan attempts to console Luka. But, as the two men continue to converse, it becomes clear that Jonathan is beset with tragic circumstances of his own.

Screenshots

Soundtrack Sample

Melancholy

Advice from other developers:

We’d love to hear your feedback and opinion of our game with respect to the following elements:
1. What are your thoughts about the game’s story and narrative?
2. Do the main characters interest you?
3. How do you feel about the game’s artwork?

Thanks for reading and stay tuned for future updates!
-Toby
Last edited by tnm6 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Sleipnir56
Veteran
Completed: Under the Sycamore Tree,Timeless-D Gray Man VN(NanoRenO 2014)
Projects: Chocolate Kiss
Organization: SleiphericWings

Re: The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence [Drama, Romance]

#2 Post by Sleipnir56 »

This sounds like a really beautiful story. Dramatic type of stories have always been fascinating to me in and way. Also the art is beautiful and original. I'm excited to see what you do with this Vn. Good luck :) .

Kensela
Regular

#3 Post by Kensela »

So far the story does sound very interesting. So is the story going to be told in flashbacks? or is it more about Luka moving on in life. The art itself looks very gives a very painted look, it is very different but I like it

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#4 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Now this caught my eye, very different from most VNs lately!

Sounds like it is an interesting concept.

Yes. Tragedy such as loss is hard, and many people (even myself) can relate to.

Beautiful! I like how it looks painted.
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

tnm6
Regular
Projects: Among the Distant Stars, Stained with Magic, The Remembrance Trilogy: Reminiscence

#5 Post by tnm6 »

Sleipnir56 wrote:This sounds like a really beautiful story. Dramatic type of stories have always been fascinating to me in and way. Also the art is beautiful and original. I'm excited to see what you do with this Vn. Good luck :) .
Thank you for the support! I'm glad both the story and the art appeal to you :)

Kensela wrote:So far the story does sound very interesting. So is the story going to be told in flashbacks? or is it more about Luka moving on in life. The art itself looks very gives a very painted look, it is very different but I like it
The majority of the story takes place in the form of a dialogue/interaction between Luka and Jonathan. Through their discourse, the events that took place in each man's life are described in detail through reflective monologues. And, as you guessed, the end result is to depict how Luka resolves to finally move on with his life.

Glad to see you like the art! While I am a fan of the 'anime' art style, I definitely want to explore unique art direction for the games I make. Thanks again to Alera for providing such amazing work!

Kokoro Hane wrote:Now this caught my eye, very different from most VNs lately!

Sounds like it is an interesting concept.

Yes. Tragedy such as loss is hard, and many people (even myself) can relate to.

Beautiful! I like how it looks painted.
I'm glad you're interested! The aim was to make the game unique both in the themes focalized and the art style, so I hope it meets your expectations :)

-Toby

tnm6
Regular

#6 Post by tnm6 »

The main post has been updated as of 12/7.

Ferdokki
Veteran
Completed: Before Dream Valley, Chasing, Fear&Love
IRC Nick: Ferdokki

#7 Post by Ferdokki »

1. I think the game's story sounds good. Like, it's a light plot with very deep emotions. I like games like that. Great job! :D

2. Yeah, the main characters interest me. When done correctly, it's really powerful to bring young and old together. I especially like how realistic the younger guy's (sorry, I can't remember his name) emotions are. Like, in typical movies and stuff, it's often showed that people are seemingly alright with tragedy like that, but I like that the younger main character is depressed and lost. The emotions really help the player connect to feelings of being lost/helpless.

3. I like that the artwork looks very smooth and creamy. n__n