Hikari's Ribbon

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Hikari's Ribbon

#1 Post by lordcloudx »

Hikari's Ribbon was inspired by the god of all game designers mister Jack Thompson himself and the sight of Stellar singing and dancing in her cute little airhead way right off a cliff... see the little "lalala" on one of the scenes?
I also like to call this Hikari no Ribbon just to give it an anime feel. This is my 3rd kinetic novel. This time, the language used is catered to children, but the story has a universal theme that is meant for audiences of any age. This is a storybook style visual novel with colorful artwork and backgrounds and a fantasy/fairytale setting. Among my works, this piece is my favorite because of the seemingly simple story which really suits the mood that I had while I was writing it.
http://animerd2k2.freewebsites.com/project.htm
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

absinthe
Regular

#2 Post by absinthe »

First, let me say, it's very cute! I especially liked the picture of Hikari dancing in the meadow near the beginning.

And if no one has said so so far, pleased to meet you and congratulations on completing three games!

I checked out Hikari's Ribbon and Wings, all told. I have to admit, I didn't realize "non-branching" meant "no choices at all", and it was a bit disconcerting to me (not your fault at all, just my own expectations).

Oh, and just a small thing, but there are a couple of typos near the beginning ("aftraid" for "afraid", for example).

[Edited to actually be coherent, sort of. Hopefully.]
My 2007 NaNo entry: Eidolon

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#3 Post by lordcloudx »

pleased to meet you too. thanx for the compliments and thanx for pointing out the typos. (never saw them myself.)

edit: that non-branching thingy is blatantly copied from insani's descriptions. god bless their sole. :lol: :P :twisted:
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

cd covers

#4 Post by lordcloudx »

just finished submitting version 1.2 to upload.com nothing's changed except some of the art.

here are some cd covers I made.
which one looks better? The digitally colored one or the one in crayons?

btw, I need some help if anyone here is familiar with upload.com how do I delete a product from the listing? I have two listings for this hikari's ribbon, one is called hikari no ribbon, I'd like to get rid of one of them.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#5 Post by Alessio »

While I agree that death should not be a taboo, I'm not sure I'm confortable with the amount of graphical detail (wounds, blood). IMHO it could have been done in a less gore-ish manner. But other than that it was a nice story, if a bit short.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by lordcloudx »

Someone posted a similar comment about the violence part on download.com
hmm... what can I say? Aesthetics?

hehehe who knows? I could always say I put it there on purpose so people will complain.

Seriously though, you made a good point Alessio. I guess it could have done without the bloody wounds... but I thought it would add to the cathartic effect if I did include them, which I did. It especially goes well with the song "Fields of Hope" from gundam seed destiny which I used to replace the ending theme in a version which expired on megaupload about a month ago.

edit: as for the length, I intended it to be short. More emphasis on the plot than the characters for this one. Thus, the third person storytelling

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

Kawaii...

It was a nice change of pace reading something so simple, and cute.

I didn't mind the death, but I had the same feelings as Alessio- I don't think it needed to be so graphic. With how cute and innocent it was in the beginning, all of the blood felt really misplaced. Also, I'm beginning to think that the depiction of gore is judged on a higher standard than other art (did I just call gore "art"?). If it's not depicted well, it's easy for it to appear excessive, and gratuitous.
It probably started with Doom and Mortal Kombat- somewhere along the time line of video games, it became fun to see blood. Violence became fun. The more blood, the more fun. But this ideology doesn't transfer well to all games- especially children's games. Mario wouldn't feel like Mario if everytime you stomped on a goomba, blood came gushing out. And that's kind of how I feel about this game.

But actually, it was only a minor problem. All in all, I like this one quite a bit.

Ren

#8 Post by Ren »

ShiraiJunichi wrote: Mario wouldn't feel like Mario if everytime you stomped on a goomba, blood came gushing out.
It wouldn't?
D:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#9 Post by PyTom »

Ren wrote:
ShiraiJunichi wrote: Mario wouldn't feel like Mario if everytime you stomped on a goomba, blood came gushing out.
It wouldn't?
D:
Hasn't it always been like this? Going back to the days of Pong Combat, even.

http://www.geocities.com/hanifv/Pong_Combat_v1.0.zip
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

... I don't get it... Was that supposed to be bloody or something? I was expecting my paddle to perform a fatality on the other paddle after I won, or something...

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

Version 1.3 released

#11 Post by lordcloudx »

Version 1.3 is up (mini-release before Wings II)
get it at my website http://animerd2k2.visualnews.net/index.html

New in this version
-Almost all artwork redone
-Added full voice-acting
-All sounds files are now in ogg format
-NVL mode added
-New ren'py special effects
-Updated to ren'py 6.2.0
-Blood... is here to stay hahaha!
-CTC Blinker... ain't goin away.
-No more windows installer

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by DaFool »

Um...please don't take this the wrong way, but don't you have new stories to tell, rather than remakes? (Binary Hearts was a bigdeparture from Dual hearts -- much improved) What I've seen of Wings II is different from Wings I, but even Wings I already had a remake (yep I played both of them). I am looking for more totally new short stories from you (Fade was a nice change of pace.). Well anyway, will give this a shot. (depending on the changes compared with the old version this may be 'bumped up' in the Ren'Py games listing as a voiced 2.0 like what happened with My Teacher).

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by lordcloudx »

sure do, and you were a part of one of them even for just a short time no? (But... ahem, y'know my other partner hasn't finished his part yet, and I need his part of the story to make a release)
Anyway, I finished working on this even before fade was completed, I just needed to get my sister to do the voicing.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#14 Post by mikey »

Charming as always. I should do a children's story like this, too. :? Well, I know it's not limited to children, but it has a great atmosphere. Inspiring.

Anyway, concerning the RAA, would you like us to add it? And treat it as a new version, similar to Binary Hearts, or simply replace the old one?

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by lordcloudx »

Mikey: heh!
Of course you can add it. Umm... anything is fine with me actually. :D
Since I'm not too happy with the art for old one, you can replace it. I don't really mind if you treat it as a new version either though.