Lucente ╰ children of afterlife ╮ [KN]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Armee
Veteran

Lucente ╰ children of afterlife ╮ [KN]

#1 Post by Armee »

Check for updates at our official blog!

Synopsis:

Lucente is a mysterious world, the afterlife of children who were taken from life at an early age. Kori is one such child. Though he knows not what it is, he regrets what business he left unfinished in the mortal world and desires to return there once more. The other children still hold their memories at heart, but Kori has none, only the nagging sensation that he needs to return to his old world. He has nothing left to hold on to other than that single wish, that single desire. Thankfully, the world of Lucente is not unforgiving, and Kori sets off with his friends—Annie and Xenos—to achieve his wish.

To return to the world of the living, Kori must accomplish a thousand good deeds and be chosen by the Blue Moon on the day of the festival. The problem is: the Blue Moon only appears every eight years. Kori has waited three years, utilising his time to accomplish his task when finally, he catches wind of another opportunity. The annual festival of the Blue Moon is being held at the Caprice Temple, far from where he is now, and so his travels begin, hoping to meet the Blue Moon this time.

Overview:

That thing above need to be proofread.

Characters

Annie was the first to find Kori when he entered Lucente. Calm and reserved, she took him in with Xenos to aid her and welcomed Kori into their "family". Despite being the youngest, at least physically, she's very much a mother figure to Kori and Xenos. Her appearance is quite a contrast to how knowledgeable and witty she is, though at the same time, she can also speak nonsensically.

When Kori appeared in Lucente, his memories had vanished. All he had left was the wish to return home and thus it became his only driving force in the afterlife. His focus means he lacks strong observational skills, resulting in a more airheaded or childish persona, but he's tender at heart. A little pessimistic, but neither unfriendly nor dishonest, he provides a sense of safety to those he's near. Though he may be insensitive and come across as dense, he's more intelligent than people give him credit for.

Xenos comes across a sparticularly odd among his peers in Lucente. Always grinning, smiling, laughing, whatever his actions he always appears ecstatic to be doing them. Though his external appearance is care free, he remains very realistic in his views. He keeps those he considers important near and safe, and treasures his friendships dearly.

Pepe, the boy at the Caprice Temple seems incredibly level-headed for the children of Lucente. He's also a friendly individual who can make anyone his best friend. Evidently it's not just for show, as he supports all those who come to him and is always ready to help his peers.

Teddy died when he was around fifteen, making him among the physically older residents of Lucente. His love of plants is hindered by the lack of a sun in Lucente. Without the sun, there are no real plants for Teddy. Apparently, he wasn't mute when he first came to Lucente, though given his grumpy nature, most people prefer that he doesn't talk anyway.

Mun is... the Mun. A powerful entity in Lucente with a comically unintimidating physical form. It's unknown whether it's Mun's true form or not, but for as long as Mun has been around, it has taken a rabbit-like appearance. Mun is exotic: a bizarre sense of humour and a lack of understanding of its surroundings. Mun seems entirely incompetent as a guardian, though at the same time, nothing turns disastrous in Lucente, so maybe it does more than people realise.

Ki is an androgynous being just like Mun. Mun and Ki come across as rivals with how little they get along. Similarly to Mun, Ki is also an unusual being. Apparently lacking intelligence, but making up for it with extreme power and durability, Ki's stubbornness can make it quite a hindrance to the people of Lucente. Ki always babbles incoherently about time, or perhaps a person by the name of time, it's uncertain which.

Previews:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Progress:

Writing - Prologue / Chapter 1 (finished/edited) | Other (ahahaha...)
Graphic - Character Design (finished) | Sprites (ahahaha...) | CGs (ahahaha...) | GUI (almost done | waiting for Extra)
Programming - GUI (as above + quick menu) | Script (ahahaha...)

For full update see here
Team:

Project Leader / Lead Writer / Programmer / Concept Artist - toyo
Game Designer / Web Designer - kuro/shirosalva5
Sound Engineer / Music Composer / Editor - Terra/Terracottapie
Editor / Proofreader (Prologue / Chapter 1) - milkcarton

Guest Art:
xxxxxxxxx

BOOTIEST OF ALL. @ LJumble
ImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by Armee on Sun May 18, 2014 5:21 am, edited 51 times in total.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Re: Lucente [Humor|Drama|Tragedy|Friendship?]

#2 Post by Coren »

Oh wow, this looks nice! :) I'm really flattered, heh! Looking forward to it.

Luce Jumble
Regular
Projects: By Angelic Invitation, ...

#3 Post by Luce Jumble »

Ooh my!!! This looks interesting!! I'm going to have to finish playing those games in preparation for this xD

Almost forgot the questions o.O
1, What do you think about the GUI design so far? Is it suitable to the game theme? (It's my first time doing UI design)
It's so nice! I think the fonts and placement of everything is beautiful jeeze
Just a personal irk, I feel like the logo on the main menu should be a lighter shade of grey or plain white because right now it looks dull against the starry background. Also, maybe add an outer glow effect to it? Idk I just feel like making it "glow" would fit the theme a little better—otherwise everything looks perfect to me! ❤

2, What kind of creature do you think the Mun is? Which is Mun's gender?
Maybe it's because of the little icons next to the name (or the overall cuteness of your post omg), but I feel like it'd be somekind of bunny-like creature; or something soft and poofy xD //this is awful I'm sorry// As for gender, I feel like it's a he.... /hides

3, Opinions on the game's concept idea?
I love the concept! "New soul" stories are so fascinating to me, and this is something that I haven't quite heard of. I'm really curious to see how this turns out!

4, Korin, black or white hair?
White maybe? Because it'd shine as brightly as he did when he was a star? I'm corny ok idk
Moved to Aurehan

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#4 Post by merdeamour »

1,What do you think about the GUI design so far? Is it suitable to the game theme? (It's my first time doing UI design)
-I love the GUI. I really do. That font is just lovely, and the design itself suits the game.
2,What kind of creature do you think the Mun is? Which is Mun's gender?
-Hmm. I'm thinking he's a, er, a ball of light. Idk. Somehow he makes me think of pure energy (from your chara description...)
-I quite like it. I wonder why Korin wants to become human, though, despite being happy... I'm speculating on his background story xD
4, Korin, black or white hair?
-Hmmm, black. I love contrasts, and 'black star' sounds like the most contrasting thing ever. Okay now I'm just rambling..

Anyway, good luck with this~! I'm so excited to see the character art. You have my support xD (You had it at 'Lucente'...)
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Madii

#5 Post by Madii »

Ok, first off, your emoticons are awesome. Really. I spent like a half hour looking at them. :lol: I especially like the teddy bear with the mustache.

"What do you think about the GUI design so far? Is it suitable to the game theme? (It's my first time doing UI design)"

I absolutely love the design. So pretty.

"What kind of creature do you think the Mun is? Which is Mun's gender?"

Hmm... "It" would definitely be a "he" I don't know about what kind of creature he is. Maybe a ball of light/energy like merdeamour said?

"Opinions on the game's concept idea?"

Sounds like a really nice story so far. The premise is cool and the characters seem pretty interesting.

"Korin, black or white hair?"

I like the idea of Korin having white hair. It would look so nice.

This game has my absolute support. Can't wait to play it! :wink:
"Success is an achievement, while failure is a lesson. One cannot celebrate one, without learning from the other." ~ Somebody. I'm sure of it.

Armee
Veteran

#6 Post by Armee »

Okay lame update that problaly nobody care:
+ Outline is done :D (No applause? Okay...)
+ GUI is done (This is more than lame...)
+ Mun's appearence is decided! It will be a surprise for everybody later on.
+ So since Halloween is near. I decided to finish everything first so I can meet the deadline and add the bonus story about Korin's backstory.
And because I'm too indecisive. Korin's hair will remain as white. Or may be not?
I don't have any new art except thanks for Luce's wonderful help, I managed to make the logo looks better. I'm designing Korin's appearence since Mun's done.
Will be feature in the game:
- Chibi art is everywhere [Thanks Shirosalva5 for the suggestion :P My semi-realism art doesn't suit the game at all]
- Original art with pastel colors [囧rz so lame but the game have about 10 CGs →_→ ]
- Mikeala from Crimson Rafflesia as a side-character.
- Two endings.
- 8+ wonderful soundtracks.
And for the bonus story:
- Korin and Mun's past. Appearence of a character who have huge influence to Korin's past life.
- Brief appearence of some non-related character from another KN for fun.
- Tragedy? Drama? Or Heartwarming? Three story to choice from. A drama for Mun, a choice to read the heartwarming for Korin. And a real past behind them.
Add two more questions in the survey.

merdeamour
Veteran
Projects: Taleweaver's Curse

#7 Post by merdeamour »

You have the outline done? That's great! That's my hardest stage when writing xD

I can't comment on everything you've done 'cause I'm getting ready to go somewhere, but those stuff you did aren't lame at all (: I'm glad that you're chipping away at the work ahead of you~ I'll answer the two new questions later xD
What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?
-Vincent van Gogh
I manage a blog, Another Otome Diary where I give my two cents on otomes I've played. Check it out, or let me know if you want a game of yours reviewed!

Armee
Veteran

#8 Post by Armee »

Hehe thank you. I'm bundle with joy since you're still interest in my crappy lame thing. So I have finished both design for character. I will update once I finished the lining and reach my computer. So while drawing random doodles, suddenly a random image appear in my mind and next thing I know, Mun looks like a dashing prince of . . . pervert ⊙﹏⊙ My dense character just become a horny rabbit ● 3● Such bad creator I am ●△●C:。ミ
Attachments
Oops sorry for your eyes. Have a sneak peak on Korin (no that's not Mun...⊙▽⊙ may be ...)
Oops sorry for your eyes. Have a sneak peak on Korin (no that's not Mun...⊙▽⊙ may be ...)

Armee
Veteran

#9 Post by Armee »

+Finished Korin's sprite
+Script reach 1k+
+Working on Mun and chibis
+Coding for GUI

euphorics
Regular
Tumblr: niraniranegi
Deviantart: euphorics

#10 Post by euphorics »

wishing you luck~~~ u v u AND MUN IS SUCH A CUTE CAN I SQUISH HIM-

1,What do you think about the GUI design so far? Is it suitable to the game theme? (It's my first time doing UI design)
- TRU BEAUTY. Everyone said this before, but I love the dreamy/wispy font you chose!! I agree with Luce Jumble on the higher contrast for the menu/glowy effect for the text~ For the save slots/loading page (??), if you were going with a more dreamy feel I would probably go for something like constellations for the background instead? The one right now is really nice, but it has more of a modern/pop-ish sort of feeling to it; if that's what you're going for, then just ignore me lol//

2, Do you think chibi art and pastel color will suit the game?
- Yes, I think it'll fit perfectly * v * EVERYTHING IS SO CUTE ARGH.

- Again, amazing ;_; The whole premise is super romantic and dreamy and- It's really interesting that they have to tell their stories to the blue moon, and it's nice that not everyone wants to become human u v u Makes me wonder what the setting/time period of the game is, but it'll probably be explained in the other games so I'll take a look at those first haha~

4, Would you like a sequel of this just to know about two characters's past?
- YES. It'd be interesting to learn about why/how Korin became a star, and presumably why/how the blue moon is chosen, replaced and so on~
bring on the shotas
tumblr devart

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#11 Post by silverpikachu99 »

I really like the gui!
i'll cry if you yell at me

Armee
Veteran

Re: Lucente ◆ Complete Edition ◆ [Horror|Psychological|Trage

#12 Post by Armee »

#Update 28/11
- Revamping thread
- Revising new plots
- Finished with character designs.
- Finished Prolouge
- Demo is coming up!

Luce Jumble
Regular
Projects: By Angelic Invitation, ...

Re: Lucente ◆ Complete Edition ◆ [Horror|Psychological|Trage

#13 Post by Luce Jumble »

Aahhhh!! OMG ;_; I love the new logo!! Good luck getting the demo out, I'll be looking forward to it!
ahdjdgajfb humble jumble hahahahahaitrhymeshomg

Also, Xenos' hair... OMG yes
Moved to Aurehan

Qrii
Projects: Patchwork ; Lucente ; Mafiesta
Organization: Leveretta Studio

Re: Lucente ╰ children of afterlife ╮ [Friendship|Fluff|Fabl

#14 Post by Qrii »

The script for the demo is partially done!
Only the art left. Since it's the exam season for all of us so it will take a while to up it. If I calculate it right, it will be out around next year Tet holiday!
We finished the web's ucs so now all we need is a real design and a page for Lucente! Keeping update folks!.

Armee
Veteran

Re: Lucente ╰ children of afterlife ╮ [Friendship|Fluff|Fabl

#15 Post by Armee »

It have been awhile since the last update. I have redone some of the GUI and I will start working on the character sprites and CGs next week. We are working hard on this to try to make this demo happen on time <3 The script for the demo is around 4637 words with the full story scrip around 15k+ words not include the extra! As I thought the script is almost finished, but because of plot conflict, we have to rewrite the endings of the story...I need a proofreader...oh no, a beta-reader...
Here are some previews!:
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot01.jpg
screenshot00.jpg
mm.jpg