RPG Battle Engine - Alpha 7.5, downloads in first post

A place for Ren'Py tutorials and reusable Ren'Py code.
Forum rules
Do not post questions here!

This forum is for example code you want to show other people. Ren'Py questions should be asked in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Jake
Support Hero

Re: RPG Battle Engine - Alpha 7.5, downloads in first post

#226 Post by Jake »

PeterTehDumb wrote: Am I allowed to place a donate button to cover up some image material's funds for a VN?
This VN will be free to play though.
Strictly speaking? I have no idea, that would be a question for the Creative Commons people. I certainly can't pretend to speak on behalf of all people using the CC-NC-* licenses!

So far as I'm concerned? I have no problem with it so long as it's not a requirement. So long as people can get at the battle-engine-based game without donating, it's fine by me. (And if and when you release, let us know!)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#227 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Sorry: this is a rather basic question, but:

Is the default "Magic" stat "Magical Attack Power" or "Max Mana Points?"
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Jake
Support Hero

#228 Post by Jake »

Tsundere Lightning wrote:Sorry: this is a rather basic question, but:

The default "Magic" stat as used by the example magic skills is "magical attack power", while the "MP" stat is "magic points" or "mana points" or whatever you want to call them. If you check the PerformAction methods of the various Magic*Attack skills in engine_skills.rpy, you'll see that they reduce the fighter's MP stat by the skill's cost, and perform an attack with strength (skill strength * fighter Magic stat).

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#229 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Jake wrote:
Tsundere Lightning wrote:Sorry: this is a rather basic question, but:

The default "Magic" stat as used by the example magic skills is "magical attack power", while the "MP" stat is "magic points" or "mana points" or whatever you want to call them. If you check the PerformAction methods of the various Magic*Attack skills in engine_skills.rpy, you'll see that they reduce the fighter's MP stat by the skill's cost, and perform an attack with strength (skill strength * fighter Magic stat).
Okay, good. That means that one of the steps I'd have to make is COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY UNNECESSARY.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

DesertFox
Regular
Completed: Over The Hills And Far Away
Projects: My Little Dictator
Organization: WarGirl Games

#230 Post by DesertFox »

---
Last edited by DesertFox on Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#231 Post by Jake »

DesertFox wrote:Hi, I receive the following error when I exit from the game to the Main Menu through the game menu screen.
Without a proper repro case, I can only give you generic help: the cause of this error is that you're trying to display a battle displayable without a battle in progress - the battle displayable needs a battle in progress because it looks up things like the camera position from it in order to decide where on the screen to display.

Off the top of my head it looks like you have a transition between the game and the main menu which is trying to render things from the interior context (the game) in the exterior context (the menu). If that's the case, I'd personally suggest that's a Ren'Py bug... but it may not be, I'd need to see more of the code in question.

As an aside, I notice you have a Kickstarter campaign for your game "My Little Dictator" in progress. I trust that the demo you've promised won't include any of the code from this battle engine, since I've already told you that I'm not amenable to granting you a commercial license under the conditions you've described?

DesertFox
Regular
Completed: Over The Hills And Far Away
Projects: My Little Dictator
Organization: WarGirl Games

#232 Post by DesertFox »

---
Last edited by DesertFox on Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jake
Support Hero

#233 Post by Jake »

DesertFox wrote:I will need to create a version for testing and for you to see and approve.
I hope for the sake of your KS backers that you have a backup plan in case I don't. Ultimately my bottom line is that if you're not willing to put your name to your own project, I don't want anything to do with it... so if that isn't going to change before release, neither is my answer.

Alitza

#234 Post by Alitza »

Hi
i have another question about Battle engine .

inventory and variables not saved while i using renpy save/load functions.
how to fix it ?

Jake
Support Hero

#235 Post by Jake »

Alitza wrote:Hi
i have another question about Battle engine .

inventory and variables not saved while i using renpy save/load functions.
how to fix it ?
The most common cause of this is that the inventory (or whatever isn't saving) is created in an init block - all your game-state variables (including things like fighters or inventories) should be created immediately after the 'start' label, and never in an init block.

Could that be your problem?

Alitza

#236 Post by Alitza »

.. i really don't know where are init inventory (I am very weak programmer) but i used your libs so some stuff declared in assets.rpy

init char stats placed in true position - after start label but not saved anyway.

Code: Select all

label start:

$ money = 100
    $ fighter = "Jack"
    $ stats = ['Look', 'Charisma', 'Mind', 'Endurance', 'Lewd', 'Fatigue']
    $ testEquip = None
    $ testRemove = None

python:

jack = PlayerFighter("Jack", portrait="gfx/jack.png", Look=1, Charisma=1, Mind=1, Endurance=1, Lewd=1, Fatigue=0)
        jack.Equipment = FighterEquipment(limits={'bodyfull':1, 'underwear':1, 'legs':1, 'shoes':1})
        jackinv = BattleInventory()
        shopInventory = BattleInventory()

shopInventory.AddItem(Library.Equipment.SilkDress)
        shopInventory.AddItem(Library.Equipment.PlainDress)

Vaendryl
Regular
Projects: Sunrider
Organization: Love in Space
IRC Nick: vaendryl

#237 Post by Vaendryl »

Just wanted to say thanks for not just creating your engine but putting all the code out there. I've learned a *lot* by studying it and I still regularly look at how you get things done when I'm stumped writing my own (basic) combat engine.

I did notice that there was a bug in the equip screen where mousing over the - button next to equipped items do not show you the stat changes, even though there seems to be code to handle this. haven't really had time to dig into why it doesn't work though.

Jake
Support Hero

#238 Post by Jake »

Alitza wrote: init char stats placed in true position - after start label but not saved anyway.
Sorry, I'd missed this post earlier - apologies for the slow reply!

Your code snippet looks fine, but that doesn't mean that there isn't a problem elsewhere - are you sure there's no other places where - for example - jack.Equipment might get assigned to?

Ideally, if you could take a copy of your project and remove any Ren'Py scenes or anything which are unrelated to this bug, and make sure that the bug still occurs, then I could take a look at it for you if you upload it somewhere and PM me the link.

Jake
Support Hero

#239 Post by Jake »

Vaendryl wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for not just creating your engine but putting all the code out there. I've learned a *lot* by studying it and I still regularly look at how you get things done when I'm stumped writing my own (basic) combat engine.
You're welcome - I'm glad it's useful!
Vaendryl wrote:I did notice that there was a bug in the equip screen where mousing over the - button next to equipped items do not show you the stat changes, even though there seems to be code to handle this. haven't really had time to dig into why it doesn't work though.
Aha! Yeah, I don't know how I missed that. It's a careless mistake on line 148 of battle-screens.rpy; it says "testEquip" but should say "testRemove"! I've fixed it now - thanks for letting me know!

Jake
Support Hero

#240 Post by Jake »

As I've been receiving an increasing number of requests for commercial licensing, I've taken a few minutes to write up some details about commercial licensing on the battle engine site, you can find it here:

http://www.eviscerate.net/article/licensing

Obviously if you're making a non-commercial game there's nothing to worry about, it's still available under the same CC-BY-NC license that it's always been under. If you're interested in commercial licensing, then go and read the above and then feel free to get in contact.

(I've edited the same link into the first post, of course.)