Chill [Beta Updated]

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Baka Chikara
Regular
Projects: Chill, Addendum

#31 Post by Baka Chikara »

Ok, for viewing pleasure! I'm going to upload a demo version of the game. I think it's about 10.9 MB. Also, I'm going to upload just the script and options files zipped up. I'll do that in the first post, at the bottom. I'll also put the announcement in the title of the thread.
Red: Together...!!
Blue: ...we are...!!
Yellow: ...the Prism Rangers!!
[All three pose together. Lights flash in the background.]
Laharl: ...Please, someone normal come out.

Baka Chikara
Regular

#32 Post by Baka Chikara »

Monday is my last day of holiday non-work. After today (Memorial Day), I'm going to start work again. I did a little bit of work on Saturday, but nothing since. Anyway, hope to finish before the end of the week, like I said.

Ciao!

Baka Chikara
Regular

#33 Post by Baka Chikara »

I have hopes to finish everything by the end of this week, or at least the beginnings of next week. However, I have a bit of a problem. I'm not sure how I'm going to draw the character I use in the epilogue... I could just not have a character... but that would be a little odd.

But, then again, I could have the epilogue be completely black, and it just be the two characters that are present talking, with the text to be the only visual cues. I guess that would work.

Because, I can draw simple clothes fairly easy, but I'm positive that the clothes the epilogue character would be wearing would be a complex getup of survival-gear type stuff. And I don't think I can draw that...

Anyway, the first post has my 1.3 beta version of the game, the basic script+options zipped folder, and now has the screenshots and drawings from the game. I added a new drawing, a PNG file that is the first three of Karin's emotions I've done so far. It's not the complete final, since there are a few blaring errors, but I think it's... fairly ok for nothing more than Paint. It is supposed to be Karin at her basic level: the rock hard stony look of complete resignation to fate.

Tips on drawing with paint? Tips on how to make the emotion a little more real or powerful? Anyways, hope you enjoy.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by DaFool »

Baka Chikara wrote: Tips on drawing with paint? Tips on how to make the emotion a little more real or powerful?
Uh, use something else besides paint? Seriously though, there are freeware art programs out there (check Resources listings), and if you buy a scanner or digital camera, they should come with some photo editor that may do better than Paint.

But I must say, not bad at all. I also just tweak eyebrows, eyelids, and mouths to get different emotions. Only recently, I also started to dilate pupils to indicate shock / fear / surprise.

Baka Chikara
Regular

#35 Post by Baka Chikara »

DaFool wrote:
Baka Chikara wrote: Tips on drawing with paint? Tips on how to make the emotion a little more real or powerful?
Uh, use something else besides paint? Seriously though, there are freeware art programs out there (check Resources listings), and if you buy a scanner or digital camera, they should come with some photo editor that may do better than Paint.

But I must say, not bad at all. I also just tweak eyebrows, eyelids, and mouths to get different emotions. Only recently, I also started to dilate pupils to indicate shock / fear / surprise.
Well, I have a few other things I could use, I guess. I have the first version of OpenCanvas and Inkscape, but I haven't tried to learn how to use them yet. The scanner I use for things is on the other computer in the house, and it came with some kind of odd HP stuff. I could start using other things, but then I would have to learn how to use the program. I guess I'm a little lazy that way.

But it's kinda hard to be learning how to do 10 different things at once, and trying to follow them all. I know a little about OpenCanvas, so I guess I could start there. After I finish this. I want to do it all in the same style, so I guess for this I'm stuck in Paint unless I redid Karin. I'll admit, that wouldn't take long to do if I knew how to use the other programs better. I really want this project to be finished, and I'm afraid if I started doing that, then I would lose interest.

After all, that's already happened once. Project REALLY started back in December, but then I lost interest because I didn't want to do any of the art myself, and the music. I just enjoy doing the stories a lot.

Art is the expertise of a friends girlfriend at school. I've tried contracting her, but that would require me to pay a little money. She's a businesswomen like that :D .

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#36 Post by EwanG »

As far as free editing programs, I'd suggest Paint.NET as being somewhat Paintshop compatible (has layers, select by color, etc) and it can be DL'd from:
http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html

Another choice that has a lot more features, but is somewhat harder to learn since it does things it's own way is GiMP:
http://www.gimp.org/windows/

FWIW,
Ewan

Baka Chikara
Regular

#37 Post by Baka Chikara »

Thank you. I'll see if I can use either of those two easily :wink: .

Baka Chikara
Regular

#38 Post by Baka Chikara »

Sorry about the huge delay. I've had a few family problems and various internet problems (like not paying the phone bill....). Anyway, I don't know when I'll finish the thing now, since the family problems are still persisting. Hopefully I'll be able to resume work soon, but don't hope too much.

It's so close too, but I don't have the time to dedicate to it right now. Sorry. :(

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#39 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Don't worry about it. :3 We have all commitments. You'll just keep me on pins and needles even longer. XD You tease!

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#40 Post by monele »

Hey ^.^. I tried the demo labeled "1.3". Got the bad ending on my first try... YEAH.. I know... >.>... and then got a crash in what I think might have been a good ending ^^;...

Code: Select all

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 197, in bootstrap
  File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\main.py", line 303, in main
  File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\main.py", line 98, in run
  File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\execution.py", line 171, in run
  File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\ast.py", line 489, in execute
  File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\python.py", line 860, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "D:\Work\Self-driven\Visual Novel\Ren'py\renpy-6.2.0\Chill - A Short Story/game/script.rpy", line 546, in <module>
TypeError: stop() got an unexpected keyword argument 'Fadeout'

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.2.0c
Even with all the placeholder stuff, it's still a short yet sweet story (even the bad ending I had didn't feel *that* bad).

Actually, I would even refrain from drawing the girl.
I totally forgot the example from this thread and since she isn't seen in the demo, I just imagined her. She's supposed to be the *perfect* girl... so it might be better to let the player imagine what she looks like, maybe ^^...

Baka Chikara
Regular

#41 Post by Baka Chikara »

monele wrote:Hey ^.^. I tried the demo labeled "1.3". Got the bad ending on my first try... YEAH.. I know... >.>... and then got a crash in what I think might have been a good ending ^^;...

Code: Select all

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 197, in bootstrap
  File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\main.py", line 303, in main
  File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\main.py", line 98, in run
  File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\execution.py", line 171, in run
  File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\ast.py", line 489, in execute
  File "D:\Jeux\chill_b1.3\renpy\python.py", line 860, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "D:\Work\Self-driven\Visual Novel\Ren'py\renpy-6.2.0\Chill - A Short Story/game/script.rpy", line 546, in <module>
TypeError: stop() got an unexpected keyword argument 'Fadeout'

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.2.0c
Even with all the placeholder stuff, it's still a short yet sweet story (even the bad ending I had didn't feel *that* bad).

Actually, I would even refrain from drawing the girl.
I totally forgot the example from this thread and since she isn't seen in the demo, I just imagined her. She's supposed to be the *perfect* girl... so it might be better to let the player imagine what she looks like, maybe ^^...
Errrgh, an error, just what I need, eh? Well, I can look at that when I get some time. Thanks for that. When I played through, it never gave me that error, lint didn't say anything for me.

That is an interesting thought. I wasn't sure though, if people might think that I was being lazy and not adding in a character with that as an excuse. I could do that though. I would still need the one character at the end, unless I just made it a completely empty ending, like I thought of before......

Thanks monele! Thanks anyone who is waiting for being patient.

[Edit] Yeah, I found what the error was. Odd lint didn't catch it. Though, I'm not exactly sure how lint works... anyway, I fixed it. Simple capitalization problem. Maybe I'll work on it a little today, since I have some free time?

Baka Chikara
Regular

#42 Post by Baka Chikara »

Ugh, I probably shouldn't have done this, since I'm dead tired now. Anyway, I stayed awake for a few hours longer than I should have and worked on the game a little. I added in some NVL style stuff in the endings just to change it up, and added quite a few new emotions for the Karin character. Honestly, I don't WANT to get rid of her... since I've worked a bit on her already, but if anyone wanted a character free version, of course I would consent to giving you one.

Updated to 1.5, various things changed, so close to finished, but I just haven't had time. Hope you enjoy the new stuff if you try it out. Ciao... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Baka Chikara
Regular

Re: Chill [Demo+Script/Options File on first post!]

#43 Post by Baka Chikara »

Haaaa........ hahaha, well, I can't exactly upload my newest and pretty much finished version (unless someone finds something wrong somewhere), since I'm actually pretty excited I can actually even get on the internet now. So, for the VN, I can't say that much has changed. I added in a nicer ending. Nothing much, since I don't have much to put in anyway. But better than the abrupt flash back to the beginning.

Ok, for the update. I changed a few more things at the end to the.... oh crud, I forgot the name of the style. Oh, NLV mode. Now it looks a bit nicer and fills up the empty area that otherwise is pretty much bare and uninteresting. I decided to stick with an empty special ending, to let you completely visualize the surroundings. And I can't draw it well and I can't get a picture to fit the circumstances. I went back through the script to try to catch all the grammar and spelling errors, change sections that didn't quite make sense the way they were worded, and maybe fix the coding of the background working to work better (right....).

Oh, and just for the information, I had my wisdom teeth taken out a week ago (I want to eat REAL food! I hate eating just soft stuff.), and college for me starts in about a week. Woot!

Since I'll be in college, I'll have access to their internet in their apartments. So if I can't get my internet to work and upload by then, I should have the finished thing up by a week or so from now. I know, I know, I said the story would be completely finished a long time ago. It was finished, but things with family and the internet connection kept coming up. Not that that should be any real excuse.

On the writing side: I've almost finished one side of a double-sided "short" story (I looked at the word count for just that one side, and I was amazed that the word count came up to 1/9th the size of some of my favorite largish sci-fi novels :shock: ). And the story would be ideal for a visual novel type of game. I would of course have to change the story some (and add different people and situations) unless I wanted it to be a kinetic novel, but it could work.

Also, I have various stories that I think I'll turn into kinetic novels. Named "Addendum" and "Following," both are very short and wouldn't allow for anything more than a kinetic novel unless I changed the stories completely, which I don't want to do. But as I have said, school is coming up, so that might not happen for a long time.

Maybe this post isn't supposed to have all that extra stuff, but I wanted it down so I wouldn't forget about it and show a taste of how hectic it's all been.

I'll have the finished "Chill" here soon, I almost promise. I have to give leeway for computer crashes and unforeseeable accidents, but if it all goes as expected, I'll upload it soon.

Baka Chikara
Regular

Re: Chill [Beta Updated]

#44 Post by Baka Chikara »

Bah, lazyness and problems abound! :evil:

Anyway, that little rant is in the first post, under "Problems." I'm posting this to tell everyone that there is a new version (not too terribly different, except for taking out the Karin pics and doing a bit of work on the true ending. Hope you like. Download on first page.