Free Uploader Sites

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: Free Uploader Sites

#16 Post by Taleweaver »

Even though they don't have the best reputation, I've yet to have a single bad experience with download.com. Only two downsides to that service: they try to make you use their download manager, which smells of spyware, and that they check every file they host, so it can take a few weeks until your software appears after the upload.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#17 Post by fleet »

PyTom wrote:So, hotfile.com was taken down today, in much the same way that megaupload was a year or so ago. As far as I can tell, this breaks links to a lot of fleet's games . . .
I didn't know about this until I saw PyTom's post.
Links to my visual novels in the Completed Games section and Completed Adult Games section have been changed.
very respectfully,
fleet
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

I kind of wonder if the right rule to have is a two-mirror rule - you must have your (free) game on two sites, or the forum and one other site. The idea being that if one goes down, we can deal with that after the fact by making local mirrors or whatever.

The downside is this rule would be difficult to enforce, as an admin. What are we going to do if someone uploads a game that isn't mirrored? Remove the download link? Upload it ourselves? These seem like a lot of work for us to do.

At the same time, I think this is something we need to talk about. The games people make are important, and I think it's a shame when one vanishes from the net, perhaps for good. When lishy asks "I meant, isn't it the uploader's responsibility whether or not they want to maintain their games online, rather than the forum's?" - I think it's not so much our responsibility, as the price we ask for providing the forums. If we're going to host those discussions - for a decade or more - we'd like the visual novels being discussed to still exist.

(I'm using the regal we here, since I haven't discussed this with the other admins.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#19 Post by OokamiKasumi »

AxemRed wrote:The problem with the suggested alternatives (dropbox, google drive, skydrive) is that they have bandwidth limits that make them impractical/unusable for offering downloads.
They also have a file size limit.
-- I went with MediaFire because it's the only site that will take my over 300MB games -- one of them is 500 MB. At this point in time, none of the sites suggested for the Whitelist will take files large enough to hold 'all' my games -- including this forum.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#20 Post by Taleweaver »

OokamiKasumi wrote: -- I went with MediaFire because it's the only site that will take my over 300MB games -- one of them is 500 MB. At this point in time, none of the sites suggested for the Whitelist will take files large enough to hold 'all' my games -- including this forum.
download.com has file size limits?
More about me in my blog

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Taleweaver wrote:
OokamiKasumi wrote: -- I went with MediaFire because it's the only site that will take my over 300MB games -- one of them is 500 MB. At this point in time, none of the sites suggested for the Whitelist will take files large enough to hold 'all' my games -- including this forum.
download.com has file size limits?
Download.Com makes you Wait before anyone can access the file.
Taleweaver wrote:... it can take a few weeks until your software appears after the upload.
That's not good when you need quick responses from Playtesters.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#22 Post by Taleweaver »

OokamiKasumi wrote:Download.Com makes you Wait before anyone can access the file.
Taleweaver wrote:... it can take a few weeks until your software appears after the upload.
That's not good when you need quick responses from Playtesters.
But then you're not entirely correct when saying that none of the uploaders mentioned will takes files large enough to host your games, are you?
More about me in my blog

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by OokamiKasumi »

Taleweaver wrote:
But then you're not entirely correct when saying that none of the uploaders mentioned will takes files large enough to host your games, are you?
Fine, I admit to being incorrect about that. However, it doesn't change the fact that the long waiting period cancels out the benefit of accepting larger files. To use it, I would have to do as mentioned earlier, and load it on more than one site, and that other site would still have to be MediaFire.

Armee
Veteran

#24 Post by Armee »

I would think that DropBox, Google Drive, Skydrive, etc. sound fine enough for being mirror upload page. Or may be, JustCloud? I think it's Unlimited or something. People really should have a mirror of the game stored on this site. It would be sad if anyone's game got down just because of the page went down. Personally, I dislike MediaFire for its ads are always popping up when I download something.

Trixar_za
Regular

#25 Post by Trixar_za »

I'm sorry, but a two mirror rule will be a pain in the ass for big games - especially in countries like mine where we pay for our data usage. Rather recommend services like box.com (who everybody seems to have forgotten) that doesn't limit size and bandwidth or appoint people who's express purpose is to mirror games.
Did you just copy and past this to see what it said?

AxemRed
Veteran

#26 Post by AxemRed »

Trixar_za
Regular

#27 Post by Trixar_za »

Like you'd use more than 10Gb of bandwidth in a month... Also the file size can be bigger if you use the client rather than the website to upload.

Good to know that you spend time disproving parts of my statement rather than adding anything productive to the discussion.
Did you just copy and past this to see what it said?

AxemRed
Veteran

#28 Post by AxemRed »

10GB = 100 downloads of a 100 MB VN. That seems rather limited to use as the primary download source for a new release. If you want a constructive answer, I use Mediafire+MEGA to upload things.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#29 Post by PyTom »

For free games, there's always archive.org. That's the best from a game-preservation standpoint.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran

#30 Post by OokamiKasumi »

PyTom wrote:For free games, there's always archive.org. That's the best from a game-preservation standpoint.
I'm going to try using Archive.Org as a back up. It's a bit confusing to use, and takes Forever to upload, but the rules don't say that we Can't upload adult content, and it didn't even flinch at my 300 MB game. However, this doesn't mean I'll stop using MediaFire as the main download.