How do I track points?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
m_evergreen

How do I track points?

#1 Post by m_evergreen »

If I want to keep track of something in my game as a number and add and subtract from it what is the proper method? Would this be right?

$ dex = 10

menu exercise:
"dance":
$ dex = dex + 3
"walk":
$ dex = dex + 1
"sit and watch people":
$ dex = dex - 2

Would that set dex to 13, 11 and 8 respectively? Or will it just give me a bunch of errors? If it won't work what's the proper format?

Thank you,
-M

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

That'll work when indented properly:

Code: Select all

$ dex = 10

menu exercise:
    "dance":
        $ dex = dex + 3
    "walk":
        $ dex = dex + 1
    "sit and watch people":
        $ dex = dex - 2 
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

#3 Post by Guest »

That woudl work, you could use this also. It does exactly the same thing so it's just a matter of preference

$ dex = 10

menu exercise:
"dance":
$ dex += 3
"walk":
$ dex += 1
"sit and watch people":
$ dex -= 2
and you'll get the same effect.

On another note if you ever want to check the value in game you can use this in the game and it will read out the value as dialoge.

'%(variablename)s'
so for example

'I have %(dex)s points'

m_evergreen

#4 Post by m_evergreen »

Thank you PyTom, I thought I'd indented it but my spaces disappeared when I posted. But I've forgotten to indent properly several times since starting to use Ren'Py, and the colons...

Thank you too Guest, that's great to know! I'm pretty sure I'll need your other code as well.

-M

Jake
Support Hero

#5 Post by Jake »

m_evergreen wrote:Thank you PyTom, I thought I'd indented it but my spaces disappeared when I posted.
It's a quirk of HTML - which web pages are marked up in - that any amount of whitespace in the source document is displayed as a single breaking space when rendered. This allows people to write indented and easy-to-edit HTML without it looking weird when people see the document.

Thus, if you want to display carefully spaced text (such as indented code) on the web you need to use something like the 'preformatted text' element (<pre>), which is accessed on the forum using the 'code' tag.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#6 Post by chronoluminaire »

Just to note: the code Guest provided is used for string variables. For numeric variables, you need to use this version:

'%(variablename)d'
- the "d" is short for "decimal". But actually you often won't need that, for internal counters - you can include any amount of Ren'Py code in the branches of your "if" statement, including "jump"s to special bonus bits of script :)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!