NaNoRenO - Make a Ren'ai Game in 1 Month!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#16 Post by chronoluminaire »

No, there's no way to enforce that people don't start on it before the month. But the idea of NaNoWriMo isn't any kind of competition against each other, but encouraging one another to all finish the novels within the constraints. To quote from the NaNoWriMo FAQ:
I have a lot to do in November. Can I start in October and end early?
No. One of the best things about NaNoWriMo is the way it spreads the agony of creation throughout a large community of co-sufferers. For the pain to be properly distributed (and thereby diminished), all participants must be working on the same deadline.

Do I have to start my novel from scratch on November 1?
Yes.

Does that mean I can't use an outline or notes?
Outlines and plot notes are very much encouraged, and can be started months ahead of the actual novel-writing adventure. Previously written prose, though, is punishable by death.
I think the extension to NaNoRenO (NaReWriMo? IntReProMo?) is fairly natural. You can plan, toss around ideas, do concept sketches and brief outlines; but absolutely no actual script, programming or graphics that you created before the month. Make sense?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#17 Post by PyTom »

I would suggest, at the very least, that we allow non-game-specific programming in advance of the month. There is quite a bit one can code that isn't specific to any game, and it would be silly to deny people use of these engines and libraries.

I'm really not sure how rule-intensive this should be. I think that a month should be a month in which many games are released, rather than a month of rules that prevent people from participating.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#18 Post by rioka »

I agree it shouldn't be rule intensive but so far, I don't think it is. If we stick to what Chrono said, it's basically...
chronoluminaire wrote:* You mustn't start the work before the month starts (parallel with NaNoWriMo)
* It must be a ren'ai game that you create: i.e. a computer game or piece of interactive fiction, themed around romance or ren'ai
* It must have at least two endings

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by chronoluminaire »

And I suggest these clarifications to the first restriction on "start the work":
* Sketching outlines of plot or scenes is allowed; writing any actual dialog or text that gets used in the final game isn't
* Similarly, planning and designing characters is fine; concept sketches are fine; actual drawings that get edited into something used in the game isn't
* Similar guidelines for music and any other creative aspects
* Programming is the hardest to specify. If the programming restrictions are too strict then people using an engine will have a big advantage. My instinct is to say something like it's okay to code general libraries or routines that could potentially be used by multiple other games, but not start on any programming that's clearly specific to this game.
All of these are of course unenforceable; the idea is, like NaNoWriMo, to stimulate creativity and force people to put aside perfectionism for the sake of getting something actually released.

I'm really looking forward to it now :) I'm enjoying working on Elven Relations, but it does drag a bit. To switch focus to something small and to have a deadline would be rather good.

BlackSpider
Regular

#20 Post by BlackSpider »

...and I will wish you all good luck and impatiently wait for the results as a spectator :)...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#21 Post by PyTom »

BlackSpider wrote:...and I will wish you all good luck and impatiently wait for the results as a spectator :)...
Now, if that isn't volunteering to make a game, I don't know what is.
Last edited by PyTom on Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackSpider
Regular

#22 Post by BlackSpider »

The truth is that I can't really plan in advance what I'll do in February. Besides I'm really stuck with my current game project. That's what happens when the creator is overambitious :). Anyway, I know I'll feel much better if I finish whatever game project I started first.

RedSlash
Veteran

#23 Post by RedSlash »

Programming is the hardest to specify. If the programming restrictions are too strict then people using an engine will have a big advantage. My instinct is to say something like it's okay to code general libraries or routines that could potentially be used by multiple other games, but not start on any programming that's clearly specific to this game.
I think that if you're going to program it from scratch, you are accepting the challenges that come with it, even it being at disadvantage. Yeah, I think coding libraries shouldn't count since they are reusable components for anything.

I think sketching and outlining the plot shouldn't be allowed since that is part of the process of creating the project, whereas thinking about it s okay. Same with concept sketches.
...and I will wish you all good luck and impatiently wait for the results as a spectator Smile...
*sits right beside BlackSpider*

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#24 Post by rioka »

RedSlash wrote:I think sketching and outlining the plot shouldn't be allowed since that is part of the process of creating the project, whereas thinking about it s okay. Same with concept sketches.
Hmm, it sounds more honorable but they allow it on NaNoWriMo so why should we make our rules differently? Anyways, here's a compromise - every participant has two options, either
1) not allow themselves to do concept sketches or outlines before the appointed month or
2) opt to do them before the chosen month.
I think that's fair.

Anyways, we should settle on a month so we can at least plan on freeing up time for that period. So far I've been hearing February and March. Either one is fine with me - how about you guys?
Last edited by rioka on Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler
Regular

#25 Post by Tyler »

RedSlash wrote: *sits right beside BlackSpider*
*can't find the auditorium*

#26 Post by Guest »

eclipse wrote:Anyways, we should settle on a month so we can at least plan on freeing up time for that period. So far I've been hearing February and March. Either one is fine with me - how about you guys?
March. If everything goes well and I have time, it would have to be march.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#27 Post by mikey »

mikey wrote:
eclipse wrote:Anyways, we should settle on a month so we can at least plan on freeing up time for that period. So far I've been hearing February and March. Either one is fine with me - how about you guys?
March. If everything goes well and I have time, it would have to be march.
Yes, me. Login, login...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#28 Post by rioka »

Is everyone okay with March? Speak now or forever hold your peace. =P

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#29 Post by Sai »

I may have to back out. The only break I get is in February I think. And well there's no way I can have a full month without work cutting in one way or another. So I best leave the deadline rushes to all my Uni projects ^^;;;

Good luck to anyone who participates.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran

#30 Post by chronoluminaire »

Aww, that's a pity, Sai. If things lighten up, do tell us. It would be cool to see what a game you created was like :) But if work imposes, then that's what it does. Ganbatte with the uni work! :D (And a Merry Christmas in the meantime :) )