Broken Dawn: Thermopylae - Game Development Thread

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#46 Post by Nafai »

Ack, I always get gender pronouns mixed up for some reason. Too much Ranma :P

IAh Tenchi :P Yeah I'll keep the possibility for humor in the action scenes ^_^ I just needed to give the characters more situational variety before it all becomes run and gun and make ou- er, run and gun :P

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#47 Post by Watercolorheart »

Oh ... um ... did I miss the announcement of the second demo in this thread?

... I don't see it ...
I'm not even the same person anymore

Nafai
Veteran

#48 Post by Nafai »

Nope. no 2nd demo yet - just a rehashed script so far. Haven't gotten feedback from Sno yet on the latest iteration of the story... Havent heard from him in a while actualy, though for the latter half of September I was incommunicado...

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'

#49 Post by Watercolorheart »

Nafai wrote:Nope. no 2nd demo yet - just a rehashed script so far. Haven't gotten feedback from Sno yet on the latest iteration of the story... Havent heard from him in a while actualy, though for the latter half of September I was incommunicado...
Ditto ... (I'm waiting on coloring assignments, but I don't like to "pester." I just check my in-box every day.)

Do you want to use me as your proofreader in the interim?

Nafai
Veteran

#50 Post by Nafai »

Wow, thanks for the offer BCS - but it might spoil the story for you, and that'd be a shame considering you're Broken Dawn's biggest supporter, if you ended up spoiled as to the story ^_^

It's really a mess right now though since I'm concentrating on finishing the story proper first (I'll add 'flavor' choices to the script later) and so I'm writing it in word in hybrid script-prose form :P

If you're still game to read the script let me know - help is always a good thing. But I thought it'd be good to warn you of spoiler-ness :P

Nafai
Veteran

#51 Post by Nafai »

*sigh* Well Sno has jumped ship so its back to me for the art - which pushes things back considerably, and also places things in the realm of black and white for now. Little progress this week, but hopefully next week will be better ^_^

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#52 Post by monele »

Aw, sad news :(...

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Watercolorheart »

*nod*

Sno-dove wiped his hard drive by accident somehow, I believe, a lot like how I did ... or something happened ...

Anyway, I was basically told that I would be coloring my own stuff too. >_>; I think I need to ask him how he colors, because I'm not 100% sure how he acheives some of his effects ...

Nafai
Veteran

#54 Post by Nafai »

Just checking in for a bit ^_^

October was... much more hectic than I'd expected. Also took me a hell of a lot more effort to make my deadlines for some short story publications I wanted to submit to, so no progress on the game in what was supposed to be the month I got the most work done :(

As it is I'm torn between finishing the script or trying another project a bit [which, being set in the odern day, would make BGs a simple matter of taking pictures with a digicam Id guess]. Well, I'll think on it...

Just letting everyone know that neither I nor the project was dead :P

Boch

#55 Post by Boch »

Nafai wrote:Just letting everyone know that neither I nor the project was dead
That's nice to know :)
Just one more try...

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#56 Post by monele »

or trying another project a bit
Beware, it's risky ^.^; *has been there*. Good to know it's still running though :)

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran

#57 Post by Watercolorheart »

I had to dig for this thread, but is the next update nigh?

Eagerly awaiting it ...

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#58 Post by DaFool »

Nafai, is this project defunct in favor of The Elect?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#59 Post by monele »

Gyah, I never realize it was Nafai's ^^;... Aw, I suppose it's on hold indeed ô_o... I hope it's not abandoned though... I remember it was pretty fun ^_^

Nafai
Veteran

#60 Post by Nafai »

Ah Broken Dawn, how I miss thee...

Well, unfortunately it *is* on hold, but not really because of the Elect. I have no real problems working on two stories concurrently (I do that often) but the real problem facing BD is the fact that... I realized I really can't draw technical stuff. People are fine, but machines and the like are beyond me - a large handicap in a sci-fi game. Especially with the backgrounds that'd be a major problem, since its not like I could use the CG placeholders I had in the demo (whoever made Critical Point might sue my ass).

So I suppose I'll have to wait around/ scout around for an artist who is comfortable with sci-fi drawings (and who would be able to commit to the project). [I'd ask BCS but I want Controlled Chaos done quicker :P Maybe if bluepencil comes around the forums again...]

The problem with a collaboration with an artist though is that if the artist leaves mid-way, you are kind of in a bind - its not like you can just get another artist to continue the work, you'd basically have to start again from scratch - so that's also what's keeping me from actively recruiting.

So anyway that's the status for now. Its not abandoned really, and with the right artist, it could see the light of day. I have around 33 pages of the rewritten story on hand, but I have the story mostly outlined - I expanded it from the original concept in the demo, when I realized I just couldn't do a short game :P Back then 33 pages for an intro seemed pretty long - but then of course the Elect came around and I realized how wrong I was :P