Looking for a Writer, BG/CG Artist (Partially Paid)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
Gear
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Tempestus Sum
Organization: Xenokos Interactive
IRC Nick: Gear

Looking for a Writer, BG/CG Artist (Partially Paid)

#1 Post by Gear »

I deleted the last version of this thread, but the individual I got to join up had to leave for personal reasons, so the position is vacant once again.

The art:
I'm looking for a background and CG artist (not necessarily the same person) to work on my project, The Time Stones. In short, it's a rather long VN in Ren'Py that centers around five students who get swept into another world, and have to struggle to survive and find out why they were brought there. If you want the long version, please check out my LSF WiP thread, or head to my Development Blog. At the Dev Blog, you can find images that show what the general style of the game is.

The writing:
I'm also looking for a writer. You have to have strong use of dialogue and experienced in character development, so a sample of script writing would be ideal. You also have to be willing to work via Skype, use DropBox (I'll invite you if you don't have it since I need extra space anyway), and script directly in Ren'Py. You also have to be prepared for A MASSIVE PROJECT. I apparently did not properly convey the scope of this project to the previous four writers who signed on, but they quickly left because it was a huge project with a lot of writing. Please, please, please, be prepared to be writing for the next year or so, because this will be a long project. You also must make sure you have time to write each week, rather than going missing for a long period of time.

General Info:
I call the positions "partially paid" because it's dependent upon crowdfunding, and eventually, sales. For an example, we did an IndieGoGo campaign to raise funds towards the creation of the demo. Each of the artists were paid $75 from that pot at the end of it for their work on the demo. I can't guarantee this - your cut could be more, it could be less. We would prefer to be able to have someone join the project long-term (we anticipate 1 - 1.5 years before completion), but if you only want to work short-term, we can probably work out something as well.

The bare bones:
Game: The Time Stones
Genre: Science Fiction, Drama
Estimated Completion: May 2014
Art style needed: Western (non-anime), not obviously CGI.
Writing style needed: Character development focus, dynamic dialogue focus. Able to work with each of the five characters' "voices."
Payment: Varies depending upon profits and donations.
Length of project: 1.5 years, could extend into later projects from Xenokos if a mutual interest is found.
Number of backgrounds: Hesitant to say, considering I'm probably going to be signing people on to get as many as I can before they get tired of me, but for the full 30-chapter project, there will likely be about 30-40 backgrounds, though some of those have already been made.

Feel free to post or shoot me a message with any questions.
Last edited by Gear on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

orinfitchett

Re: Looking for a BG/CG Artist (Partially Paid)

#2 Post by orinfitchett »

would be happy to help for both, my page is https://www.facebook.com/OrinFitchettVisualEffects

could you email me at orinfitchett@hotmail.co.uk for further talking?

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Gear »

Special thanks to orinfitchett for signing on as our new promotional image/special screen creator! But we still need additional background and cutscene (CG) artists. If anyone's interested, please let me know!
The best reason to get up in the morning is to outdo yourself: to do it better than you've ever done it before. But if you haven't done it better by nightfall... look at your globe and pick a spot: it's always morning somewhere.

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#4 Post by Tempus »

It could help if you include an estimation of how many BGs are needed, since they can take a while to make.

Good luck :)
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Looking for a Writer, BG/CG Artist (Partially Paid)

#5 Post by Gear »

I added it, though my main goal is to get people to make as many as they're willing until they pass out from exhaustion get tired of working with me. I highly doubt I'll get anyone to do them ALL.

As a side note, I've added a position as a writer, though we could probably use two to be safe. IF YOU'RE SURE you can handle a project of this size, post here that you're interested, and prepare a scriptwriting sample. I'll contact you.

Mimrose
Regular
Projects: Bitter Honey (Writer)

#6 Post by Mimrose »

How much writing would you be expecting per week? I love a challenge (but I doubt I have enough writing experience), but I'd be happy to try and advertise to friends of mine who may be interested!

Need a writer or editor? Check out my recruitment page here! (Currently accepting short edit jobs, but closed as a writer)

Visit my tumblr for reviews about otome games, smexy pixel men, random reblogs, and fanfics! :D [/color]

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Gear »

I'm reluctant to ask for a specific figure, but I need someone who's willing to write collaboratively at least once a week. Failing that, half a chapter a week would be nice, though the size of a chapter depends on the chapter itself and where the story takes it.

I'm not specifically looking for experienced writers, but I want experienced readers. I'm of the opinion that true writing skill comes from reading more than writing, and I'm willing to work with less experienced people as long as they have the enthusiasm and interest.

LiveLoveWrite
Projects: Scattered Starlight, Alice and Cursed Wonderland

#8 Post by LiveLoveWrite »

I would love to help with you're project though I am not a very skilled writer, I love to read. If you are still looking for a writer I would love to help.

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Gear »

Wow, didn't expect this topic to be necromancered...ed. *blows dust*

What kind of free time do you have? The last three people interested in writing took one look at the scope of the project and bolted in fear of their lives...and jobs. And weekends.

Omniknight
Veteran

#10 Post by Omniknight »

Hmm no writing project is too big for me... 100,000 word veteran here.
Although I'm probably too busy, what kind of writing will I exactly be doing??

Gear
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Gear »

Eh...we're at 80,000 words and only 1/5 completed. The game is sci-fi adventure with a stark focus on character development.

Omniknight
Veteran

#12 Post by Omniknight »

80,000 words and only 1/5 completed! We're talking now!
*serious face*
Do you have any more details to supply me with if you're still looking for a writer?

Omniknight
Veteran

#13 Post by Omniknight »

I get super excited by big-scale projects. Precisely why all my VN's are a minimum of 100,000 words long.

Shenrai

#14 Post by Shenrai »

I am *very* interested in becoming a writer of some capacity.

That said, there's one rather well-hidden qualification about needing to be able to "script directly in Ren'Py". Does this mean that we just need to know how to insert our writing into the code when told where to put it, or that we need to know Ren'Py well enough to know how to script our written scene into visible functionality on our own?

And, for that matter, is the posted "Estimated Completion" date of May 2014 a current estimate, or has that been pushed back to some degree?

- Shenrai