The Guardian's Spell[GxB] [Trailer + Website + Demo up]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

The Guardian's Spell[GxB] [Trailer + Website + Demo up]

#1 Post by SilverxBlue »

Winged Cloud, the makers of the art assets of Pyrite Heart, has another otome game in development and it's going to be thrice (Or 4x. It depends.) as long as their first project. It's still currently in the works. o3o

We bring to you....

Official Website.
Demo Here!

Characters:
Main Character: Haruka Yokokawa
Our MC. A seemingly ordinary girl that has a weird sense of humour and an even weirder thought process due to the multiple websites she frequents in. Her two principles; "They'll come when they'll come.' and 'The lesser attention you get, the lesser drama and trouble you deal with.' have caused her to live life to its not-so fullest.

She plays the ordinary, nondescript school-girl persona quite well and seems to love taking full advantage of it whenever she can. Her best friend has insisted that she really was an interesting person all out and that she doesn't understand why she's so insistent on not being more outgoing. She then retorts with 'It's a drag.' or 'I don't really aim high'.

But now she has to make a quick drastic change in her life lest she'll have three guys fawning over her forever and ever and ever...

You're my best friend whether you like it or not! Ehehe.
The polar opposite of the MC who's also her best-friend: Aiko 'Rai' Mariano
A charismatic Filipino girl who migrated to Japan to live with her mother and new step-father. She may be a rowdy, childish tomboy, but she’s been through a small number of relationships with guys back when she lived in the Philippines. She's also cheerful to a fault, according to Haruka. She also has the kind of fashion sense where she likes to stand out and look unique, hence her un-natural hair and eye colour.

She’s quite popular at school, having gotten a few confessions from both boys and girls… but she always looks out for Haruka, hangs out with her and generally gives her good advice. She’s been held back a year due to her having to adjust completely in the country.

I'm your Guardian... Fairy! Let me help you out!
The annoying little pet who ruined everything: Koneko

Haruka thought she was just adopted a cute, innocent little cat, but boy was she wrong… Imagine her shock and surprise when she found out that it could turn into THIS boy. He claimed to be a genie at first… then cupid… then a fairy godparent. He said he came into Haruka’s world because he had heard her innermost pleas and he wanted to grant her wish. Whatever he is though, he is obviously far from a normal human being.

To Haru's dismay, he doesn't assume his cat-form all that much and doesn't hide his ears and tail, so she introduces him to people as Wakahisa Koneko, a cosplayer friend she met online.

"Ahahaha. It's funny how I always don't know what to say when I'm around you."
The Casanova dude that's secretly a dork--able: Aki Kaiser
A Half-German and Half-Japanese teen model. He is the desire of almost every woman in the campus and most likely the town. He likes to flirt with women, but never enters an actual relationship. He would have had his own fan club, but he kindly and most likely seductively asked the supposed founder to not push through with it because that’s not really the kind of thing he wanted. He seems to have had some sort of past with Haru.

"Will you ever stop looking at me like I am about to massacre you and your cats?
Intimidating and violent???!!?!??! dude Haru is really scared of: Ryouta Akamatsu

Aiko's step-brother who’s famous for being a guitarist and vocalist of a popular band. He goes to school because he said he doesn’t want to forget about his education. He used to have so many bodyguards before, but now they’ve all disappeared. His fangirls are usually afraid of him… what with the rumours of his hair-trigger temper and him hitting and shouting at everyone and everything that annoys him, regardless of gender… Plus, there’s that scary look he always has which causes even the teachers to get intimidated by him.

Haruka is kind of scared of him and despite her best friend saying he’s a nice guy deep down, she’s still terrified of the thought of interacting with him. Haru has also noticed that Aiko has a soft spot for him, but she seems to blatantly deny it whenever she tries to bring it up.

"I doubt I'll be able to... oh, wait no-- It's completely fine! Don't mind me!"
The foreign yes-man gentleman: Cato Bennett

A guy who hails from the UK but has moved countries so many times with his travel writer dad who raised him all by himself. He’s been held back in High School by two years due to moving in the middle of a couple of semesters. They settled in Japan when he was eighteen and he has finally continued his studies then.

Since he’s the eldest student in school, he’s referred to by everyone as Big Brother Cato. He’s one of the smartest students in Haruka’s class and often gets the highest rankings in tests… and to top it all off, he seems like he’s not even trying to get the top spot. He’s clumsy and almost always late or absent in class due to unfathomable reasons.

Features
Four obtainable guys
Fifteen endings which include Friendship endings and a Canon one~
4-6 hours of gameplay

WE ALSO HAVE A TRAILER NOW!

Support us on Kickstarter!

Discussion Questions thing You don't have to answer them all. ^^
1.) Who's your favourite character so far and you'd most likely pursue first?
2.) Are you okay with fifteen endings? Will you be trying to see them all?
3.) What do you think of the best-friend character so far... She will be some sort of rival on one of the dude's paths but it's not a full blown out bitch-fest rivalry... They'd still remain their friendship over anything else.
4.) What do you think of all that characters in general? Are you interested in their stories and will you really really play the game? o3o
5.) Lastly, you can say anything you want! Ask a character a question if you must. ^^;;

A couple of screenshots are attached. ^^
Attachments
screenshot0019.png
screenshot0020.png
screenshot0014.png
Last edited by SilverxBlue on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:43 am, edited 19 times in total.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Kyra10
Regular
Projects: My Heart's Flame
Organization: Amaraluna: Otome Game Productions

Re: The Guardian's Spell [GxB] [School Life] [Rom-Com]

#2 Post by Kyra10 »

Koneko~
Yes, I'm okay with fifteen endings. I'll certainly try to see most of them!
3.) What do you think of the best-friend character so far... She will be some sort of rival on one of the dude's paths but it's not a full blown out bitch-fest rivalry... They'd still remain their friendship over anything else.
I really like the best friend, and I also like that there will be some rivalry.
4.) What do you think of a stat-raising sim feature added to the game?
I'd prefer the game without one, but I wouldn't mind if such a feature was added.
5.) What do you think of all that characters in general?
They all seem like really interesting characters. I can't wait to see how their personalities are portrayed in the game~ >w<
6.) Lastly, you can say anything you want! Ask a character a question if you must. ^^;;
Oh, so this game is by the same makers of Pyrite Heart. I liked that game, even if it was a little short. I'm glad this one is going to be much longer. The art is beautiful, and the plot is interesting. I'm looking forward to playing this! ^_^

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#3 Post by SilverxBlue »

@Kyra
Thanks for the feedback and your interest~ ^^

Ohh that's interesting. I didn't expect Koneko to be the first guy who will be getting a fan... XD

For number 6, a bit of a disclaimer... Pyrite Heart was some sort of collaboration VN with another studio: IDHASstudios. This one isn't anymore, so the writer for that one and this one are two different people now... Just had to put that out to avoid trouble/confusion. ^^;;
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

Cato and Haruka are my favorites so far. But the cat guy sounds like he'll be really fun too. I'd probably pursue Aki first since I don't like starting a VN with my most or least favorite character's route. That way I can save the best for later but my first time out with the game is still pretty good.

Yeah fifteen is fine and I'll definitely have to get em' all X3.

She seems cool. But I can't say she's one of my favorites right now ^^;. I personally do not like seeing close friends fight especially over a guy. It is really something I cannot relate to nor can I sympathize with much so unless it is played for comedy and or done in a really lighthearted way I doubt I'll like those moments even if they do still keep their friendship. However I do appreciate that they'll stay friends.

I personally really enjoy stat raising in games. I just find it to be a lot of fun XD.

5.) What do you think of all that characters in general? Are you interested in their stories and will you really really play the game? o3o

I like the majority of them and I am interested in seeing what is going happen since I'm guessing there is more to some of or all of these characters than their bios convey. I would really really like to play the game. But if it is commercial whether I'll be able to play it or not will depend on whether I have money when the game comes out ':D.

6.) Lastly, you can say anything you want! Ask a character a question if you must. ^^;;
Will tell me what the canon route is before I play the game so I can save it for last ;v;? Also Haruka isn't average looking. She's hot XD.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by SilverxBlue »

@Googabooga

Ohh, long feedback~ Yay~! XD

1.) That's an interesting way of starting VNs. I usually tend to play the least favourite guy's route. XD So, I take it Ryouta's the least right now, right? XD
3.) Oh, no... It's not really a rivalry. They won't have fights and stuff... mostly misunderstandings and stuff. I'm trying to be vague here, lest I start spoiling stuff. So no need to worry about fights between best friends. ^^
6.) Hmmm... Well, canon route involves Koneko and Aiko... but mostly Koneko. XD I hope that made sense. orz
And hahaha... Glad you think Haru is hot. XD

By the way, Cato is pronounced 'keito' not 'Cat-o', I remember the artist getting confused with what to call him, so there's that.
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#6 Post by Googaboga »

1.) I used to do that too but then I played a route that I thought would be pretty lame and it turned out to be pretty high on my favorite list and it really helped my overall impression of the game to start the game on a good note. Yeah if I had to pick a least favorite it'd be Ryouta. Sorry man but everyone else sounds more fun XD.

3.) Well that's good. I still can't see myself enjoy it much though. Sorry ;o;.

6.) I see. That makes sense since Koneko is one of the main driving forces of the plot so it's understandable that he has a big role in the canon route.

Okay cool. "Keito" it is :3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#7 Post by akemicchi »

1.) Aiko/Rai. But I probably can't, so... Aki. He seems like a nice guy.
2.) I like getting all the endings when I play a game, so yes.
3.) THAT'S AKI'S ROUTE, HOHOHO. But I like Aiko from what I've read. I'm interested in seeing how her relationship with Haruka changes as they both get closer to that secret boy.
4.) Hmm... While I love stat-raising games, I think this would be better as a VN. I don't think dating sims should have numerous endings based on the stats you end up with. I mean, not unless your stats are low by the time you finish. It feels like a punishment when you get a bad ending for raising them wrong, haha. ;;;
5.) They seem like a fun bunch. The names are throwing me off, though. Some are Japanese, but others are mixes and it's really difficult to remember who's who even if it should be easier. Can't only one person have a foreign name? Is it important that there are so many foreigners? Also, Ryouta doesn't look intimidating or scary at all. He looks like a normal guy. :s
6.) It's a little confusing that you're using both 'Aiko' and 'Rai' for Aiko/Rai. (I saw an Aiko and Rai were being mentioned and I was like, "Who's Aiko/Rai...") I think you should just stick to one name. They're both so different from each other anyway.

Good luck with your game! \o/

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by SilverxBlue »

@akemicchi

4.) That's what I've been thinking too.... and in a player's POV, I personally think they get a little too tedious sometimes. orz
5-6.) Ahahaha. It's because Aiko's a Filipino who often refers to herself as 'Rai' because it sounds more boyish. (Aiko is also a name that's used in the Philippines by the way), Aki Kaiser (The model guy) is Half-German and Half-Japanese... as for Cato, well, he's a complete foreigner and doesn't really have a nickname of his own. ^^
;
Also, half of Ryouta's expressions are a variety of Angry, Unamused and Pissed-off, so they'll show on the game itself. XD

I hope that lessened the general confusion somehow. I was thinking of more variety since I thought it'd be too uh... 'normal?' to have them all as Japanese students. Now I think they might have been too much OTL.

Thanks for the interest and feedback~! ^^
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#9 Post by akemicchi »

5-6) It'd be easier for the player if she didn't do that because we'd only have to remember one name instead of two, haha. She should just stick with Rai and everyone should call her Rai! And I know; I read it and I'm still having trouble figuring out who's who. "orz Unless their nationalities are actually important to their story, (which I don't think it is other than to show they're foreigners?) I don't think it's important to mention it at all. Maybe during gameplay, it would be easier to figure out who's who, what with easier association of their sprites and their personalities to their names.

It would be easier if most of them were Japanese, at least for me. Not that Japanese names are easier, but having so many foreigners makes me wonder why the school was even set in Japan in the first place.

Crenshaw6
Regular

#10 Post by Crenshaw6 »

Ryouta. I love the 'nice inside but looks like a demon on the outside' type. Aki also looks good, but the 'flirty' was enough to put me off the dorkiness I love. But I'd probably save Ryouta for last and play Koneko first. I have a feeling playing Koneko first will help with backstory and understanding.

Yes. Definitely, as long as I can keep track of them in the extras. I lose motivation when I have no record.

I think she'd be very interesting - I never really see much of a best female friend in an otome game (and if they do show up, you just bounce off relationship complaints off her). Glad their friendship remains intact.

I prefer my VNs straight, as I find stat-raising frustrating mostly because it's frustrating to replay with).

5.) What do you think of all that characters in general? Are you interested in their stories and will you really really play the game? o3o
I would play the game (unfortunately less likely if commercial). I love the art and am quite interested in learning more about the guys. I quite like the sound of them all.

Umm...Aki...I believe your buttons should be the other way round. Sorry, I was staring for a long time (ooo... what nice hair and thig...where was I...) and noticed it...

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by SilverxBlue »

@akemicchi
Everyone does practically call her 'Rai'... XD The same way everyone in Harry Potter called Nymphadora Tonks, Tonks because she insisted it and hated her first name. XD

Their being foreigners is kind of a driving force to their own backstories. It explains some unanswered questions as to why this and that happened on their routes... and I think it's just two of them, anyway. o3o Aki Kaiser is still half and he grew up in the country... His German side kinda explains his height and looks and a bit of... more stuff on his route... maybe we'll change it accordingly. I'm still torn on his surname anyway. ^^;

@Crenshaw6
1.) I assure you though Aki's dorky side will show more on his route than anything else. He will be that one annoying wannabe-casanova character at first, but in the end... XD
3.) Yeep... I created her character thinking exactly that as well. I want everyone to know that the MC's life didn't revolve around her obtainables and all that.
6.)
Aki: "Hmmm, yes I know my hair is fab and you can stare all you want, dea-- wait, what? My buttons? Oh, that... that's intentional. Hope that didn't bother you."
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#12 Post by Hazel-Bun »

*will comment in full when it's not 12PM* Everything looks so beautiful ;o; Been following this on tumblr for a while so am super excited to see it posted here!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Iwako

#13 Post by Iwako »

I can't decide between Cato and Koneko. I think I'll go for Cato first, because he's those gentleman type that practically doesn't exist anymore irl xD And he's from UK...British accents! Koneko is cute...I can already tell his path will be completely adorable xD Oh, one reason why these two wins out over the other two guys is because in their summaries, there seems to be hints about at least one of them with Rai, and that got me visualizing Rai together with Ryouta in particular, so he wouldn't be one of my first choices because I already ship him with the best friend.

Yes! Considering there are 4 obtainable guys, assuming there will be multiple good endings and then bad endings for each, 15 sounds reasonable. I'll probably try to see them all, but I'd have to abuse the save feature unless there's a walkthrough because of the generous amount of endings.

She sounds sweet! I love how she's more popular and accepted than Haru but she looks out for her like an older sister ^^ Adorable dynamics there. I'm interested to see how they will clash on one guy's paths. (And which guy?! Ryouta?! -crosses fingers- xD) Which one will back down first because they value their friendship more? Hm.

I personally prefer otome games without stat-raising (like Pyrite Heart! I loved that game), with menu choices only, since stat-raising tends to become a bit repetitive and tiring after a few playthroughs. And there are 15 endings, so if we want to get it all, it'd be at least 15 playthroughs. Also, most games adopting the stat-raising sim feature tend to become more stat/inventory-oriented rather than event-oriented, and I think since all 4 guys have such rich backstories, it'd be a shame if it ends up that way. Then again, I think I'm going to be pleasantly surprised since I'm already very interested in the story so far.

I think they're interesting! A bit of everything...the flirty smooth but adorkable guy, the scary bad boy and the brainy gentleman. And of course, the one of a kind cat-boy, aka her self-proclaimed genie. It seems very lighthearted and fun. Yes I will really really play the game if possible, but since you guys mentioned you're still discussing whether it will be commercial/free release, unfortunately I'm just a broke student so if it's commercial I probably have to wait a while before getting it D:

The art is absolutely gorgeous! I spent way too long staring at Koneko's sprite, completely fascinated by the art. Those ears...that tail...so cute ><!

riiko08
Regular
Completed: Locked Heart, Cinderella Phenomenon
Organization: DICESUKI
Deviantart: kooriiko

#14 Post by riiko08 »

Woah! This is definitely interesting! Plus there's a Filipino character so I'm sold! *w*b

The art is gorgeous and the storyline caught my attention. I don't know why, but Aiko feels more like the MC than Haruka. Well, that's just a personal thought. ^^;

I'll probably go after Koneko and Ryouta (because I have a thing for bad guys lol)

I'll be watching out for more updates \^o^/

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#15 Post by pickle131 »

I love the art style!
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]