What do you wish you'd known sooner?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

What do you wish you'd known sooner?

#1 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

There are many of us who are working on our first VNs, and will probably make a lot of mistakes along the way. I'm hoping some of the more experienced community members could share some of the things they wish they had known before they'd started out.

While things like not making the first project too ambitious, establish your name before going commercial and so forth are useful, they've also been said many times.

What I'm hoping to hear about is problems with distribution, legal concerns, kickstarter experiences, planning faux pas, and so forth. Things that us newbies will probably have no clue about.

PS: If there are any related to problems with team members, let's keep it civil and not use any names.
Last edited by TrickWithAKnife on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: What do you wish you'd known sooner?

#2 Post by SusanTheCat »

A custom UI goes a long way to making your VN look professional.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#3 Post by Blue Lemma »

For those on the business angle:

The difference between a hobby and a business isn't that a hobby is for fun and a business is for money.
The difference between a hobby and a business is that a hobby is for your own self-gratification, while a business is for creating and selling products or services your customers want or need.

Confusing hobby and business and not being honest with yourself about your motivations and the true nature of your operation can be tremendously expensive and demoralizing in the end.

Of course, your first VN probably shouldn't be part of a business anyway ;)
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#4 Post by KomiTsuku »

Have a plan. Follow that plan.

If your marketing plan consists of releasing here and that's it, you've got my a bad marketing plan.

Just because something has been done before doesn't mean that you can't do something similar. Nobody has done a romantic story about the pen and scissors on my desk, and there probably is a good reason.

There are more types of music than just JPop.

Do you have a plan yet? Hurry up on that.

There's a 0.0000000000001% chance that your first VN is good. Don't give up.

Keep drama out of your team.

Ask for help. If only you or your friends have looked at your script before release time, you're gonna miss something that might ruin it for everyone else who isn't as emotionally invested in it.

Get a proofreader. Poor English skills are not an excuse, find someone whose skills are sharper.

Have I mentioned having a plan yet? Know what assets you need from the start, who is going to be doing what, how long you need, and then stick to the bloody plan!

Have fun with it. If it starts becoming nothing more than an unrewarding chore, it is probably time to take a break for a bit.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#5 Post by Samu-kun »

"Everything in war is very simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
-Clausewitz

Has complete application in visual novel development. ;)

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#6 Post by Obscura »

At least for using Kickstarter, as far as I know, you can't change the main page once your Kickstarter ends. Neither can you change the rewards once those are up. If you change them midstream, you will sometimes have to answer the same question 50 times in a row.

Think very carefully about that KS main page, because it's burned in stone after a certain point (I believe after the campaign closes). It's going to be what everyone sees who stumbles upon your project because it was on KS. A day later. Months later. A year later.

Unless you're already known and/or have fabulous art, get a prototype of your game or part of your game built as soon as you can, and get a decent amount of feedback for the prototype BEFORE you launch your campaign. For a visual novel, I think that's more important than everything else, including marketing. Marketing comes second.

Think carefully, in general, about what you want to call your game. I don't like the term visual novel. I don't like the term dating sim. I don't even like the term "game" to describe what I'm making. But I use the term I feel will get the most hits when writing that first line in your KS description (and your blog description.) Do a search on KS for different types of games, you'll see what I mean when you get the search results. Terms are how people find you. Keep that in mind when you start doing interviews and updating your blog.

Be really careful with physical rewards. Mailing rolled-up posters can kill your budget.

Talk to other devs. Other devs are smart and funny and helpful and and will keep you from going insane when you start sleeping 4-5 hours a night during crunch time. And they know your pain.

And have fun.
Last edited by Obscura on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Omniknight
Veteran

#7 Post by Omniknight »

Samu-kun wrote:"Everything in war is very simple. But the simplest thing is difficult."
-Clausewitz

Has complete application in visual novel development. ;)
+1

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Obscura wrote:Talk to other devs. Other devs are smart and funny and helpful and and will keep you from going insane when you start sleeping 4-5 hours a night during crunch time. And they know your pain.
I certainly can't argue with that. I frequent #renpy which is wonderful, but due to time zone differences, there can be lulls in communication sometimes. Curious where the other devs are most talkative, especially with group discussions.

Anyway, appreciating the advice. Have bookmarked this topic for future reference too.
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#9 Post by trooper6 »

What is #renpy? Is that a twitter hashtag or something else?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

The Ren'Py IRC channel.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#11 Post by Fungii »

Even if art is your strength, leave sprites until after the writing is at least mostly done. I guess this only applies to solo projects but it can be pretty handy for working in a team as well.
Also, create all backgrounds on the same perspective grid base. That way you don't get fluctuating planes of reality.

Oh, and with kickstarters, I've only been part of one personally but I can say, don't worry if you don't get pledges flooding in during the first few hours. And don't worry about a mid-run dip in pledges. Apparently it's really common for most of the campaign to be a slow lul and then suddenly a flood in the last few days/hours. We were aiming for 10k in a month, got halfway in 5 days, and then the rest was a slow, agonising plod. We got there in the end with 2.5k extra but most of that was 3k in the last 2 days.
So my kickstarter advice is don't fear the lul, but that doesn't mean you should ever stop plugging it.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#12 Post by Rinima »

The order of things.
Like, want order are things going to be done in, is the art first? Or the music? Or will they be done at the same time?

As a programmer, what I'm expected to do, when I'm expected to do it, and will you give me the bloody work or am I going to be blamed if you don't f***ing give it to me.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#13 Post by PyTom »

trooper6 wrote:What is #renpy? Is that a twitter hashtag or something else?
TrickWithAKnife wrote:The Ren'Py IRC channel.
And just since it's timely, I'll point out that #renpy turned 6 years old today.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#14 Post by fioricca »

I'm still actually on hiatus here, but I want to vomit love on everyone who has contributed to this thread! This is really the sort of thread I've always needed but never knew I actually needed it. Kudos to Trick for starting it.
KomiTsuku wrote:There's a 0.0000000000001% chance that your first VN is good. Don't give up.
^ !!

With a year of dev experience (??) under my belt, I still consider myself a newbie as there's still so much for me to learn. I don't have as much to share as other more experienced devs, but I can share my feelings about my first game, The Dolls' Stories. Dolls was not a game I made for other people, it was a game I made for myself so I could test out Ren'py and get feedback, among other reasons. I did think that people might like it, but I'll be honest and say that I didn't give it my best shot because of my inexperience. OTL One year later it is still the game that defines my VN circle; and while the game I'm currently working on is leagues better in terms of assets, plot and planning, I slightly doubt that it will be as memorable as Dolls was. I really regretted not putting in more effort into polishing art and other assets. I regretted thinking of Dolls as a first game to be churned out, just so I can get over that 'first game' phase!
KomiTsuku wrote:Have a plan. Follow that plan.

Do you have a plan yet? Hurry up on that.

Have I mentioned having a plan yet? Know what assets you need from the start, who is going to be doing what, how long you need, and then stick to the bloody plan!
Again, this -- there's no such thing as too much planning at all. I started by listing out ALL the assets I needed for Lemon (excluding word count, that one's harder to estimate), I got placeholder music and worked out the assets right down to voices. (I skipped sound because that was somehow hard to guess as well.) I got an organiser, set a deadline, and divided asset creation across the time taken. It's the third week of Lemon development and I'm happy to say that our team has more or less been juggling deadlines well! Above all, it's a good way to keep you focused and to track your pace of work.

I've also got something like a business plan at the moment, but I'm not very good with finances so I don't feel confident talking about it. Perhaps the more experienced members of the forum has something to say about budgeting?

Finally, I echo Obscura that support from devs and friends alike has been instrumental in keeping me going. From my experience programmers tend to hang out in #Renpy, and artists and writers are on Twitter and on Skype. (I'm so done with Skype because it keeps crashing on me though.) Veteran devs share a lot of useful resources on Twitter and while looking at them can be addictive be careful that they don't detract you from your schedule at all!

On that note I should crawl back to writing sobs
PyTom wrote:And just since it's timely, I'll point out that #renpy turned 6 years old today.
:D Happy 6th, #Renpy channel!

Tempus
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Ladykiller in a Bind
Projects: StoryDevs
Tumblr: jakebowkett
Deviantart: jakebowkett
Github: jakebowkett

#15 Post by Tempus »

I wish I'd known that concision, in addition to clarity, is important in writing documentation. Every little thing needn't be explained as a lot can be inferred or researched elsewhere. Documentation is rarely interesting to read, so where possible it's important to keep it to a minimum or no one will ever read it. Thorough documentation is important for large teams who have many members performing the same duties. A team of 10 artists might require a style guide they can reference to ensure assets come out looking similar, for example, but can be wasteful when the team is smaller.

I try to keep my paragraphs 3-5 lines. If they get longer than that, I begin to look for irrelevant parts which could be omitted without changing the meaning / causing confusion, first person commentary, explanations stating why (rather than what), or pleonasm. Of those, the whys tend to be the most common offenders. Documentation is a reference for how something works -- whys should really only be listed in cases where someone might be confused by the what without the why.
StoryDevs — easy-to-search profiles for VN devs (under construction!)