Réadú (Mystery, Modern Fantasy, Drama, Horror) UPDATE 19/7

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Eora
Regular
Projects: Sugar & Massacre, Réadú and Nach Innen

Réadú (Mystery, Modern Fantasy, Drama, Horror) UPDATE 19/7

#1 Post by Eora »

Blog I will update regularly - http://readuproject.tumblr.com/

This project will have slow to now progress for about a year, due to me moving to the other side of the earth and studying Classical Animation for a year.
With that said, I will still keep my Tumblr/Twitter regularly updated with all kind of art things, however it may not be all Réadú related!

Rated M (16+) for some violence, sexual undertones and blood.

PROGRESS SO FAR
Story- 100%
Script- 16%
Sprites- 25%
BGs- 4%
CGs- 15%
Cutscenes - 5%
Music/SFX- 0.5 %

I'll be making a demo version of the first chapter! I only have artwork left to make, so this might just get finished soon.
(Also yes I am the one animating too)

Synopsis of the story
Modern day Sweden. Winter has just ended, but the air is still cold and non-welcoming to the people who live in it. In a seemingly desolate part of the city, Thea lives alone with her parents. In her eyes, the city she lives in is a comforting place, yet she still longs for some form of fulfillment in her everyday life. Even as she was born with a strange gift, she keeps this to herself due to the fear of becoming an outcast… Or so she thinks. She’d rather be left alone than to hang out with the people she sees every day in school. Her almost unhealthy obsession over the myth called Réadú takes up most of her days.

Until the day her closest friend dies.

In a shocking, bloody scenery, she sees her friend lying dead on the floor.

The day after, nobody knows of her friends’ existence.

She brings home a homeless man who doesn’t seem to know exactly where he is, or what he is doing.

Until Thea tells him about her friend, and that nobody seems to remember him. To her shock, he has an idea of what is going on, and decides to help her out – in exchange for assistance on a private matter he has. She shows him her abilities she possesses, and he proceeds to explain to her how important, yet curious her abilities are – and how both of them are connected to the Réadú.
I am the artist and writer of the project, so this isn't anything I expect to finish soon. This is a Visual Novel that will be divided into three parts, each being based on an idea I had for a novel series. However, I decided to make a Visual Novel out of it, and each part is about five chapters each, resulting in each part being around 200 pages in book form.
This will have multiple endings based on choices you make in the game.
Because I don't want to spoil too much, I will not explain everything in detail, but feel free to ask questions and I'll try to answer them as best as I can!
EXPLAINING THE RÉADÚ
The Réadú is a form of wish-granting source of power, where it all started with a man who simply wanted to share a miracle he one day stumbled across.
The rules are the following – If you have a wish, a dream or some sort of goal, the Réadú can help you grant this wish. Once you have that wish clear in your head, you will receive a Gift – a form of power that is connected to the wish you have. The Réadú doesn’t grant any wishes on its own – you have to fight for it to make it come true, and sacrifice some part of yourself as an offering.
Réadú has stayed a myth in the social media, but has been misused many times in the past. The ones who have their Gift usually hide, but don’t always know why.
To be able to receive any Gift though, you must have talked to OR seen someone who already bears theirs with them. Think of it as a ticket, once you have it you are able to receive your gift and start your adventure – but this is something many are not aware of, and thus, it’s seen as a myth, because nobody in public has used this. Once you have your gift, you don’t age at all until you have granted your wish, and when it is granted, your Gift will be gone and you will age as before.
-CHARACTERS-

Screenshots (Previews)
Image Image Image
Last edited by Eora on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:43 am, edited 23 times in total.
-

Current project: Sugar & Massacre

-

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Réadú (Mystery, Fantasy, Drama)

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Interested in seeing how you'll portray current-day life in Sweden. I know distressingly little about what's new and notable there... So as long as it doesn't distract from your story, make sure to give your readers a sense of place.

Eora
Regular

#3 Post by Eora »

I'm Swedish myself and grew up here, and I've always been interested in showing people through my projects how it is here. The story takes place in a city almost identical to where I grew up myself, so I think I have a good image of the place. There is a bit of nature and forests here and I think it's quite beautiful. Hopefully others will think so too!
-

-

Eora
Regular

#4 Post by Eora »

Updated character information!
-

-

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

Re: Réadú (Mystery, Fantasy, Drama) /+Character Info

#5 Post by Reikun »

HI!! (I'm cirquedumarisol from tumblr)

AHH I'M CRYING I LOVE THEA'S DESIGN SO MUCH ;_______________; and I JUST noticed Adela's quad boob haha <3
And I'm really excited for the setting too!! I've never been to Europe before so I'm really curious the different places there!!!

Is there some kind of caveat when you get a Gift from the Réadú? What happens to someone if they get the Gift but then decide they no longer wish for whatever it is they wanted? What if you're never able to attain your wish?
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Eora
Regular

#6 Post by Eora »

Reikun wrote:HI!! (I'm cirquedumarisol from tumblr)

AHH I'M CRYING I LOVE THEA'S DESIGN SO MUCH ;_______________; and I JUST noticed Adela's quad boob haha <3
And I'm really excited for the setting too!! I've never been to Europe before so I'm really curious the different places there!!!

Is there some kind of caveat when you get a Gift from the Réadú? What happens to someone if they get the Gift but then decide they no longer wish for whatever it is they wanted? What if you're never able to attain your wish?
Ah hello there friend!

If someone decides they don't want their wish anymore during the time they have their Gift, or if they suddenly wants to switch gift - you die. The Réadú kills you basically. However this isn't something that would normally happen, but for a few hundred years it's been like this - because of someone.

If someone regrets their wish they themselves made come true - too bad for them. Basically.

And if you never attain your wish - if you someow fail to attain it, the Gift disappears and you won't gain a thing, but in some curious cases you still have it - but that's mostly because you THINK you have failed to attain it, wich means the Réadú has another vision of what the wish is, and because of this one has to be 100% clear with what they want.
-

-

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#7 Post by akemicchi »

The plot is really interesting! I also really like all three characters so far. I'm super excited to see this game finished. :D

I know you've just posted a WIP, but how much progress have you made? Writing, art, backgrounds, etc? :)

wildweasel

#8 Post by wildweasel »

I've sort of skimmed over your premise and character profiles and think that this could really go to some interesting places. The "Readu" could make for a really neat plot device as well as potentially a gameplay element if you're going in that direction. My only real "catching point" is Seth's design; unless he's somewhere in his late teens or very early twenties, I'd sort of expect him to have at least a five-o'clock shadow or some chin scruff, given that you've said that he's homeless.

That said, though, I look forward to seeing what more comes of this project. I do like what I see so far.

Eora
Regular

#9 Post by Eora »

Thank you! I was planning on updating the post later today with a sort of progress list, so stay tuned for more details there.

And if you don't mind wildweasel, I'd love to hear your ideas/vision on how the Réadú could be a gameplay element. Right now I have a story 80% set, so gameplay hasn't come to mind just yet. ~
-

-

wildweasel

#10 Post by wildweasel »

Hm. Actually, it turns out I had been misreading your explanation of what Readu was. I'd thought that you could use it as sort of a "hint" system, or as an augment to examining things (like the pendant in Myst IV: Revelation, if you've ever played that), but I'd completely misunderstood the whole thing. Never mind me, then. =P

angeliza
Regular
Completed: 0
Projects: 0
Organization: Currently free lancing in order to gain experience

#11 Post by angeliza »

This looks so cool! I wonder if the readus of the characters may be used to solve puzzels...that would be pretty cool!
...But then again, it may be difficult to code and stuff in ren'py...
Ah well.^^

Eora
Regular

#12 Post by Eora »

It's definitely an interesting idea, but I don't think I'll use that kind of gameplay for this project. But who knows, maybe in a side story there would be room for it? :3

Also I will be updating the character sketches with more images soon because the ones used are a little old now.
-

-

Eora
Regular

#13 Post by Eora »

Here is a sketch to show how Thea's morphing abilities look in action ~

-

-

Eora
Regular

#14 Post by Eora »

I updated the post with a few questions, please answer the if you have the time c:
-

-

angeliza
Regular
Completed: 0
Projects: 0
Organization: Currently free lancing in order to gain experience

#15 Post by angeliza »

Eora wrote:It's definitely an interesting idea, but I don't think I'll use that kind of gameplay for this project. But who knows, maybe in a side story there would be room for it? :3
I hope so, that would be awesome!^^

Thea has an awesome design, and I look forwards to playing as her...also...
...SETH!!!!
*Huggles*
^u^ ~<3

Sorry, I decided to check on this thread after a bit, and...
...I forgot how cute Seth was...
...I was completely caught off guard.
XD