All the Pretty Flowers [VN] [Apocalyptic] [Sci-Fi] [Slice of Life]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

Re: All the Pretty Flowers [VN] [Friendship, Life-Themes] 12

#61 Post by Starshine »

Is there anything we should look out for in the game? Like for example any hidden Easter Eggs? I took a quick look at the credits and i see you have alot of people that have helped you work on this game, i didn't notice until i read the credits. I will definitely keep track of this game, like a few others on this website that have caught my eye. (It's kinda hard to keep track on this website, because its a different format to other fourms and if someone reply's to you...in a thread it doesn't tell you).
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#62 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Armee wrote:;^; dang both senpais are amazing.
The game seemed great so far! It's kind of sad to not be able to do the GUI for this but I'm happy to see senpai's creation in this!
I know right? Thank you so much for offering though ;v;b Work hard on your project!
Starshine wrote:Is there anything we should look out for in the game? Like for example any hidden Easter Eggs? I took a quick look at the credits and i see you have alot of people that have helped you work on this game, i didn't notice until i read the credits. I will definitely keep track of this game, like a few others on this website that have caught my eye. (It's kinda hard to keep track on this website, because its a different format to other fourms and if someone reply's to you...in a thread it doesn't tell you).
Yeah it is sort of hard seeing as you can't directly reply :0 I press the nifty "subscribe to topic" button and get emails when a thread gets a reply which helps but isn't ideal. Thanks for staying tuned and, yes, I've recived a lot of help so far which has made things so much better. They're are a lot of talented folks out there and now I'm worried about the novel half of this VN more than ever haha...

I've also contacted a voice actor and they said they'd be willing to voice Child! I'll put up a little Q&A section on the first post about it soon!

Hmm that's a good question Star when it comes to Easter Eggs in game and things to look out for. Seeing as all the assets aren't completed, I think any shadow of an Easter egg would depend on your choices. There are three endings planned in game (which I should also add to the first post), with one being my established canon though none are "true" or "false" entirely. Certain endings/choices will unlock some things in the extra screen, and I am thinking about putting in a few convos that break the fourth wall a bit to lighten the mood. In short, I'll try in the demo and a definitely for the full realase.

Things to look out for? Headphones for sure, turn down the volume, everything is pretty light in the color department so might be a bit of an eye strain... ah and do keep track of your choices as they'll affect not only the story but how Man speaks to you, what he reveals and some important info in general. He isn't meant to be a reader stand in, more of the overarching mystery of the story. Plus some reviews from the old demo said he seemed very cold to the Child and generally unlikeable so lol I'm not sure how he'll be recived this go around!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#63 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Just wanted to show off two of the designs Reikun did for our group/for their project :) You can see, and not see some bits lol, on the Tumblr page as well.

Update wise when it comes to AtPF, things are going swimmingly so far. I've almost made enough tweaks to the story to be satisfied for now, people who have helped or are still helping are doing more than enough and yeah. Looking for feedback on the questions posted and should have a working demo to send out for testing come next weekend.
Attachments
Card and Logo
Card and Logo
Card and Double Logo
Card and Double Logo
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#64 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Here's the second CG preview!! Aw Man looks shocked by Child's sweetness don't you think? Just recived the first demo reel for Patch and work on the script is going great. I've decided to break this game down into 5 Arcs/Days so it's made writing a whole lot easier. That and the mini alpha is complete with the template for the game minus the extras screens, rolling credits and waiting for writing to be placed in.

Till the next update, later!
Attachments
CG Preview 2
CG Preview 2
image.jpg (33.87 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#65 Post by Haze »

Happy birthday! Did your exams go well? (you mentioned on Dec.15 that your birthday is in 4 days, and exams in 3, so...wow I sound like a stalker or something :lol:)

Anyway, I was going to wait until after the demo release to answer the voice acting questions, but I'll answer them now.
1). Do you feel voice acting enhances, takes away or neutrally impacts your VN experience?
I'll be honest, I've only played 1 VN with voice acting: the new(er) version of Ripples. The voice acting in that one did enhance the experience, though. I really like the MC guy's voice actor in that one, it really helped with enhancing the experience.
2). What voices (if any) do you imagine the characters having?
I imagine the man having a deep, gentle voice, and the Child having a high-pitched, cute little voice.
3). Do you prefer partial voice over (sounds like sneezing and some lines), full or none at all?
Hmm...well, if you mean do I want little sounds like gasps or "hmmms" or grunts as opposed to full voice acting, I think either can be good. I think it would be cool if you could get full voice acting for AtPF, though.
4). Finally, if voiced, who do you feel should be voice? ex). I like it when the protagonist (let's say The Man) isn't voiced but everyone else is (The Child). Vice versa and so on.
I think that, since this will be divided into books/episodes(I recall you mentioning a while back that this is going to be a series. You're still doing that, right?), the Man and the Child should always be voiced, and the most important characters from each episode should also be voiced. So, if you have an antagonist in episode 1 that is important to the plot but doesn't appear in episode 2, I think he/she should be voiced. But only if you can afford it! If you can't, I think the Man and the Child should be the only ones voiced.

Also, I love the new CG preview! And the music! And the everything about this project so far! The music is really beautiful, though. Whoever you commissioned for that did a great job. Saw the GUI too, and I like it, but the main menu looks like there's a little too much white space on the bottom. Maybe you should put the logo and buttons more in the center?

Nice Cherubim Scribes logo too, btw. Can't believe someone just offered to make that for you.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#66 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Haze wrote:Happy birthday! Did your exams go well? (you mentioned on Dec.15 that your birthday is in 4 days, and exams in 3, so...wow I sound like a stalker or something :lol:)

Anyway, I was going to wait until after the demo release to answer the voice acting questions, but I'll answer them now.
1). Do you feel voice acting enhances, takes away or neutrally impacts your VN experience?
I'll be honest, I've only played 1 VN with voice acting: the new(er) version of Ripples. The voice acting in that one did enhance the experience, though. I really like the MC guy's voice actor in that one, it really helped with enhancing the experience.
2). What voices (if any) do you imagine the characters having?
I imagine the man having a deep, gentle voice, and the Child having a high-pitched, cute little voice.
3). Do you prefer partial voice over (sounds like sneezing and some lines), full or none at all?
Hmm...well, if you mean do I want little sounds like gasps or "hmmms" or grunts as opposed to full voice acting, I think either can be good. I think it would be cool if you could get full voice acting for AtPF, though.
4). Finally, if voiced, who do you feel should be voice? ex). I like it when the protagonist (let's say The Man) isn't voiced but everyone else is (The Child). Vice versa and so on.
I think that, since this will be divided into books/episodes(I recall you mentioning a while back that this is going to be a series. You're still doing that, right?), the Man and the Child should always be voiced, and the most important characters from each episode should also be voiced. So, if you have an antagonist in episode 1 that is important to the plot but doesn't appear in episode 2, I think he/she should be voiced. But only if you can afford it! If you can't, I think the Man and the Child should be the only ones voiced.

Also, I love the new CG preview! And the music! And the everything about this project so far! The music is really beautiful, though. Whoever you commissioned for that did a great job. Saw the GUI too, and I like it, but the main menu looks like there's a little too much white space on the bottom. Maybe you should put the logo and buttons more in the center?

Nice Cherubim Scribes logo too, btw. Can't believe someone just offered to make that for you.
Yes it is and thank you very much :))) My exams are going well and I finish them tomorrow yeah. Lol no worries, the more you stalk the more I'm driven to finish this mwhahaha!

Thank you for all the thoughtful input and I'll take it into consideration for sure :0 I really like what you've answered about the voice acting and I think, once the writing is 100% for the demo, I will go ahead and pursue full voice acting that can be switched off for people who don't want it or toggled to just partial if that's possible. A lot of our ideas match up and I'll see if I can find someone to voice the Man. Cost is always an issue with a freeware game but (blessings abound) I've only had to pay for the commissioned music so far! I'll set up a recruitment thread sometime for the remaining things I want to include in AtPF once I've finished the demo work.

I'm glad and yeah, I've encountered so much talent while working on this VN it's crazy ;o; Good suggestion about the main menu, I'll run it by Luce sometime. And speaking about GUI, ITS ALL DONE HAZAHH~ Extras screens are completed so super excited ;) And Reikun actually posted up a thread a while back saying they were doing a school project so it wasn't out of the blue as much as me groveling haha

Also, yes, the game will have three episodes in total focusing on the Man with a new person(s) each time. Each are interconnected and yup. But I got to take it one at a time for now haha

With finals ending tomorrow, I should have the new demo count in-progress posted by Sunday along with a lint script. Till then!!
Attachments
The Garden: Extras GUI (2)
The Garden: Extras GUI (2)
The Garden: Extras GUI (1)
The Garden: Extras GUI (1)

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#67 Post by Coren »

This game looks really interesting and beautiful! :D The art is just ajdskljfksdfkjsdkfjsdkj I can't wait to play it!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#68 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Kirroha wrote:This game looks really interesting and beautiful! :D The art is just ajdskljfksdfkjsdkfjsdkj I can't wait to play it!
Thanks for the support :D!! Hope you can get your game out soon too and saw the winners of the contest, nice.

Small update with the voice demo reel of the Child :)

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#69 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Hey all! We over here at CScribes (and by we I mean myself lol) are hitting the home stretch towards the next demo :) Barring something that absolutely needs to be shown, I do believe this will be my last update to this thread until then.

I tend to update little bitty stuff anyway and with the new goal being before the end of December (didn't factor in finals starting before Christmas break this year and just general writing/programming eating up time), I think I should focus on getting the game nice and tested before updating anything else. That and I'm helping out on other projects/irl non-VN related things that will need some attention soon enough. I might change the front page but no comment updates or big screenshot spams, etc. till then.

Merry Christmas in case I don't get a chance to say it before then and Happy Holidays/New Years(worst case haha).

I'm still looking for an editor seeing as the other one disappeared ;v; (most likely my fault but eh), maybe one or two more beta testers preferably on a Mac or Linux and, if anyone's interested, a voice actor for the Man. Also looking for more feedback about the voice acting too so fire away if you want. Trina should start recording the few lines plus sounds for the demo next week!

So enough about me, let's get to what's important...

Here's the lint script containing the word count for half of the opening. The actual word count is 4,697 words so far in game with the opening plus two choices but, I didn't feel like coding that all in just yet so #'d it seeing as it's not proofed anyway lol The total demo word count is close to 10,000 as of right now so it's gotten much longer than the first already D: Play time through a single route shouldn't be that long though, I'd say ten minutes max.
Statistics:

The game contains 89 dialogue blocks, containing 675 words and 3,763
characters, for an average of 7.6 words and 42 characters per block.

The game contains 7 menus, 18 images, and 14 screens.
What's been added...
- CTC icon for when the Man is talking and scrolling credits thanks to ZEFK
- All the choices programmed in along with half of the opening text
- Images/transitions that go along with above
- Minor tweaks to the opening post
- Programmed but #'d for now as I don't know if I should keep it, a custom mouse pointer
- Intense abuse of the pixellate transition

What needs work...
- Rest of the text and programming of course
- Weird errors in general
- Making the extras screens work and unlock images/music properly
- Programming, programming, programming
- Writing, writing, proofing, writing
- Compressing all the files to .ogg and so on
- PV-esque mash up using windows movie maker
- Making the demo the best it can be so I can receive some helpful critique moving forward

Screenshots* and guest art by none other than Hapuki below ^^ Do follow Cherubim-Scribes on twitter and tumblr too for more updates!**

Dueces :-)

* Yes my background is still Cardcaptor Sakura, no I am not a twelve year old little girl ;v;"
**More so twitter as I don't pollute that with animal gifs, otome, nature/science pictures, and everything and anything but VNs, AtPF and VN creation ahahahahahaaaah...
Attachments
Till then friends!
Till then friends!
So credit, much wow!
So credit, much wow!
A wild NVL screen appears!!
A wild NVL screen appears!!
My soul--
My soul--
My heart--
My heart--
Melch- is getting real sick of your games Pat- >v>"
Melch- is getting real sick of your games Pat- >v>"
Nothing like some good ole' shoutin'!
Nothing like some good ole' shoutin'!
Look at that lil' ctc ;o;
Look at that lil' ctc ;o;
Just some more info before the game start
Just some more info before the game start
Aww so serious and cute all at once<br />- Hapuki
Aww so serious and cute all at once
- Hapuki

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#70 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Hey guys! Just wanted to make a small update and say that the demo is still coming along. It's even pushed back some due to life and the like. I'll upload a little voice clip montage done by Trina of the Child/ screenshots of the Extras screen later tomorrow ^^

The new date is around Early February at the latest.

EDIT: Such a liar geeze *is shot* I'm not feeling too well so I'll update when I can!!

<><><>

I'm back haha. Feeling a little under the weather do to the cold and just generally ache-y/down, so sorry for the wait. I'm just stressed I think and am feeling better tonight so there you go :D!! The wonders of medincine~

Just wanted to show some more screen shots/audio/guest art/lint script :) Turning all the audio files into .ogg to cut down on the size was a great tip on a random note!

I'm currently coding in what's been edited as of now w/ sound, voice and sprite placement (aka the lint script word count). I want the Child to do somethings like move closer and the like but am too tired to figure that out right now. Plus, I'm still trying to figure out the code ZEFK sent me because haha I'm pretty dumb and keep butchering it despite his detailed notes. That code will fix the new text history feature that has a customized box which is super cool. He's also got it so that when you click on an image in the extra gallery, a slideshow happens. Luce (THANK GOD) has offered to clean up the mess I made of it/I'm hoping to add another screen or so of maps to explain the history, etc. But that's down the road.

I'm also working on getting one of the ends completely edited next as the proofreaders have been doing a great job! A pre-demo, demo, is going out to the beta testers this weekend and I'll post paraphrased feedback then. New Beginnings Jam (I'll be making a thread soon for it) has taken away some time/life issues so sorry for the delay again. Hopefully, after a whole lot of plucking and pruning, it's worth the wait.

And, hmmm let's see, oh yeah! Hearing the lines and sounds when I start the game is still freaking me out lol. Now let me away to edit this stuff for Googaboga, do my home work, write those stories for my writing thread, fill Hapuki's art request for my future hubby, work on that other VN due by the end if this month and get some rest. That way I can stop spamming y'all with screenshots for a second.

That's it for now, will post more maybe next week and will do so regularly till 1). The demo's out and 2). I run out of stuff to show you guys.

Hmm and yes, my screenshots come with 100% more defined booty thanks to Reikun ;v;b no more Card Captor Sakura for me... at least as a background xD!

Link to voice acting mash-up: http://cherubim-scribes.tumblr.com/post ... the-childs
Statistics:

The game contains 230 dialogue blocks, containing 3,031 words and 16,836
characters, for an average of 13.2 words and 73 characters per block.

The game contains 7 menus, 51 images, and 48 screens.

Remember to set config.developer to False before releasing.

Lint is not a substitute for thorough testing. Remember to update Ren'Py
before releasing. New releases fix bugs and improve compatibility.
*Sorry the screenshots are all cut weird!! I don't even know lol
Attachments
Man being pretentious, wordy AND sappy all at once dear God--<br /><br />Will spread out a little more
Man being pretentious, wordy AND sappy all at once dear God--

Will spread out a little more
One of the voiced lines scene
One of the voiced lines scene
Concept art part three
Concept art part three
Concept art part two
Concept art part two
Concept art part one <br />(Looks derpy cause I suck haha)<br />(Ignore the horror that is my &quot;concept&quot; art in the bottom corner)
Concept art part one
(Looks derpy cause I suck haha)
(Ignore the horror that is my "concept" art in the bottom corner)
BG Gallery part two
BG Gallery part two
BG Gallery part one
BG Gallery part one
Horribly aligned music room
Horribly aligned music room
BOOTY TIME!! *slapped*
BOOTY TIME!! *slapped*
Guest Art part two
Guest Art part two
Guest Art part one
Guest Art part one
Pre-Splash image
Pre-Splash image
Cutie Pootie by akemicchi
Cutie Pootie by akemicchi
Last edited by Hazel-Bun on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: All the Pretty Flowers [VN] [Friendship, Drama] [1/14]

#71 Post by akemicchi »

I'm really amused with how the screenshots look, haha. But everything look so nice and clean. I'm super excited for the demo.

I hope you feel better! \o/ Your game is looking great so far!

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#72 Post by ketskari »

This is looking great! I'm loving the snippets of dialogue I'm seeing, too; the writing is intriguing. :)

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran

#73 Post by Hazel-Bun »

ketskari wrote:This is looking great! I'm loving the snippets of dialogue I'm seeing, too; the writing is intriguing. :)
akemicchi wrote:I'm really amused with how the screenshots look, haha. But everything look so nice and clean. I'm super excited for the demo.

I hope you feel better! \o/ Your game is looking great so far!
Thanks you two, and a big thank you ketskari for testing the pre-demo...demo.

I'm feeling much better btw and also figured out why the screenshots were derping like that. New computer problems amg. Good luck with your game as well akemicchi ^^ It'll be interesting to see how the MC plays now seeing as I think they're asexual (hope that's right haha) and I'm a horny hormone driven teenager, so I wonder and am also excited for it!!
<><><>
So on AtPF related news, some demo feedback has come in which is awesome. Critiques I've received so far that I wanted to post (which don't include spelling errors, bugs, and all that jazz) are...
- Pre-splash image is too big.
- Preference screen and Nexa Light (font) is well... too light in general.
- Extras screen(s) is a mess. Mostly me here till Luce fixes things up
- The slideshow is a little too fast and maybe re-sizing all the guest art to fit 1350x950 isn't the best idea.
- Child's VA sounds a little too girly and a-ok to others.* The voiced lines are too low in general/fuzzy but I knew this already orz;;.
- The first transition is a little abrupt.
- Might want to stretch the ADV text box a bit and separate the huge paragraphs in the NVL textbox.

Otherwise, the pre-demo seems to be going over generally well :) The potential VA for the Man is working on revising his lines so I'll show you guys that and get feedback with his permission when those come in.

*To clarify one thing about the Child, they are referred to as they/them because they can be interpreted as a young boy or girl! Should have mentioned this before but there you go. There isn't a gender neutral pronoun in today's English (though I think in the past they/them could be used as a singular form of one), so pardon the confusion if there was any ahaha

I'll be getting the branching choices into the editors by the end of the week and then will have to devote my time to school/new beginnings jam till February I believe. Haze has also agreed to be a ideas bouncer which is awesome so I can stop bugging euphorics at 2AM with random ideas :)

I'm currently trying to program in a nice falling ash animation but my horrid skills are making the animation look pretty bad. That and fix the bug in the save/text history feature with ZEFK's guidance. Rain looks a-ok because they're someone elses (better done) images but, eh, if any one knows where I can score some creative commons black ash images that'd be awesome. Otherwise, what I have is the best I can do for now.

And that about wraps things up. No screenshot spam today ^^ *collective sigh of relief* I'll leave you guys with a song that will be used in a latter half of the game. I'll be going into more history for the game soon but, for now, just know this is kind of the resistance movement's "theme" song if you will. Enjoy and check out this artist other works.

http://www.jamendo.com/en/track/962587/ ... bum-113145

Sayashiro
Regular
Projects: Freak-Quency, Cafe Memoria, Amplitude, Spring Breeze, Escape from Puzzlegate, Project Aivisu, All the Pretty Flowers

Re: All the Pretty Flowers [VN] [Friendship, Drama] [1/22]

#74 Post by Sayashiro »

This VN looks like it's coming along beautifully! I love the soft colors and artsy look. Feels so much like a Hayao Miyazaki work to me, and I'm a great fan of art forms along those lines. Personally, I love Trina's voice for the boy. I find it very fitting, pretty close to how I envisioned the character to sound.
/ Sayaka Mashiro / Voice-Over Artist / Casting Director /
l Website l http://sayashiro.wix.com/sayakamashiro l

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: All the Pretty Flowers [VN] [Friendship, Drama] [1/22]

#75 Post by akemicchi »

Ahaha, thanks! \o/

Whoa! So Child can be a boy or girl! I should have expected that. Would the Man refer to him/her as 'they/them', too? I think-- despite being technically incorrect-- they/them is the most accepted term when referring to the gender neutral.

For the black ash, if you're using the Snowblossom effect, why don't you just make the image a little black dot (small like, 5x5px maybe)? Ash seems to be really small (smaller than snowflakes or cherry blossoms, haha), so to compensate you'd just have to make a ton of them appear on the screen. I guess the problem would be having them appear at different sizes, unless you put a lot in the image...