XOXO Academy [School Romance] [GxB] [EXO] [Complete!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

XOXO Academy [School Romance] [GxB] [EXO] [Complete!]

#1 Post by pyopyon »

BASIC PLOT

Your parents have been pushing you for weeks, and you finally might be starting to give in-- they want you to go to boarding school and leave everything you know left behind.

Meet up with your favorite EXO member, choose your own love story, and fall in love today at XOXO Academy.
ABOUT

XOXO Academy is an otome based off of the K-Pop group 'EXO' and their studio album 'XOXO (Kiss&Hug)', the concept of which was an all boy's school (complete with uniforms and a school logo, pictured above!) There are currently nine members of EXO, three ex-members (one unofficial) and divided unevenly into two sub-groups... and so I have taken the challenge to create a twelve love interest otome! (Don't ask me if I regret it. I have no words yet on this.)

I began writing and programming XOXO Academy August 23rd, 2013 and aside from me, there are four artists who are either working on or have completely portions of the project’s art!

I hope (dearly) for a November 2015 release, but we are waiting on the final artist’s relining as well as some finishing touch-ups.
GAMEPLAY
The game is split into four parts. Part one is when you arrive at the school and meet your childhood best friend slash self-appointed tour guide. It includes various fun elements-- including character customization and how you choose to dress in your uniform! I don't want to spoil, but there are 11 routes that are easily accessible, and one secret route that's a little more difficult to access! The next part of the game features other characters. The third parts events involves some sort of conflict that is only resolvable by the main character's interaction with her route boy-- varying from hidden rumors, tragic pasts & simpler things like trying to come up with inspiration for a piece in the school art show. The fourth part involves your main ending-- if you've been nice to your boy, it involves a confession, which you may accept or reject!

Side note: The way I made the game, I tried to make it playable by people who are not into EXO, or even into K-Pop at all... hence why I'm using sprites instead of photo renders. That said, there are a few inside jokes... one main one being a character named Kris who is very tall and terrible at art in real life... and in the game, he was the former basketball captain, but he quit the team to become an artist. (And I used his actual art in the game, so it's another humor point) Little things like these are woven within the game.

MAIN CHARACTER

Different main characters made with the customization option. :^)
You! The main character who lets everyone know her name when she fills in the last of her transfer student documentation. You choose your skin, hair and eye color as well as your uniform-- though you're limited to natural hair color, thanks to school rules. (Not that everyone follows them as you'll find out, but I digress.)
How the main character looks in-game. :^)
LOVE INTERESTS

Sehun / Sehun
Baekhyun. A theatre kid if there ever was one. Likes cute things and has a small, fun rivalry with your childhood best friend.

Chanyeol. A tall, cute dork and former delinquent. Your childhood best friend! President of the music club and wonderfully oblivious. A cheerful person who is prejudiced against the theatre club solely because Baekhyun is in it.

D.O. Budding chef who makes recipes that no one wants to try. Wants to use you for a food tasting experiment? Not talkative but surprisingly deep with a lot of thoughts. Not friendly, with a deadpan sense of humor.

Kai. A sleepy person. Rumored to be an alien because of his ability to sleep anywhere. Likes to dance and is surprisingly observant. Somehow. Hard to find.

Sehun. The librarian's assistant who does his job a bit too well. Has his hair dyed contraband colors (rainbow to be exact), but gets away with it because the principal is intimidated by the old harpy of a librarian that Sehun (somehow) gets along with.

Suho. The President of the Student Council. A bit too polite to the point of being bland, but a hard working boy who wants to make sure his fellow students have a good and conducive environment to learn. Stressed out but pretends he's fine because he works well under pressure.
Xiumin / Xiumin
Chen. Driven, yet eccentric president of the cinematography club. A little too manipulative for his own good, but a good soul. Maybe Chaotic Good?

Kris. A passionate artist who used to play basketball. Misunderstood? or something like it. Desperately needs to create a centerpiece for the upcoming art show.

Lay. A spirited dancer with a weak waist. Hates doctors and hospitals and basically being fawned over. Really needs to be careful with his health.

Luhan. The language tutor who speaks Chinese fluently with some Korean language skill. Often bullied(?) into doing Chanyeol's language homework and dreams of being on the soccer team.

Tao. An outcast who practically lives in the martial arts practice room of Rec. Building D3. Soft-hearted despite a cool outer shell. Likes to walk along the beach (which he can't do since this involves leaving campus) and go star-gazing. Secretly wants to start an astronomy club.

Xiumin. The Vice President of the Student Body. Outshown by his older siblings who're both alumnus of the school, Xiumin has accepted his fate and instead focuses on enjoying school life. Captain of the soccer team.

SCREENSHOTS

Just so you know, the game resolution is 1024x768.

Librarian Assistant Sehun tries to check you out of the library, asking for your ID card. When you aren't sure what he means, he shows you his. Of course, it's simply that you haven't been issued one.

This is the art joke one that I mentioned before. As you can see, his art is certainly... interesting. And yes. That's really drawn by him. Seriously.

The middle zoom in portion of an image map in the game and without a doubt the thing I had the most difficulty with as a first-timer. Thank gosh for the Ren'py Wiki! It should be noted too that ironically, I failed the image map portion of my HTML class and even though this isn’t HTML, I still feel a sense of victory, haha.

A note from your tour guide and childhood friend. :^)
GAME PROGRESS

The game is completely finished being written and all the coding for the art has been placed.

I’m waiting on CGs right now-- out of thirteen, twelve are totally completed, and one is waiting to be relined.

Creator Comments & Blah: June 2nd, 2016

This game is done... finally done...

After two years, nine months, and eleven days... I am free... ; w ;

Last edited by pyopyon on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:04 am, edited 36 times in total.
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: XOXO Academy [School Romance] [GxB] [EXO-Fangame]

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

*explodes* Please finish this oh my goodness!!!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by briannavon »

This looks SO wonderful! Please complete this (but make sure to pace yourself!) :D
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

autumnruby

#4 Post by autumnruby »

Holy shit!It's EXO!!I can't wait to play this game!

Chasing Summer
Regular
Projects: unannounced project

#5 Post by Chasing Summer »

I’m a huge EXO fan so I’ll definitely check it out. You seem to be doing a pretty decent job for your first time!

I’d be a little worried about that artist of yours though. I’m understand if she’s busy, but it seems as if she hasn’t done anything at all so far?

Anyhow, good luck with your game! I’m looking forward to Kris art ;o; seeing what you do with the game.
new account: sonnenblumen

pyopyon
Veteran

#6 Post by pyopyon »

Chasing Summer wrote:I’m a huge EXO fan so I’ll definitely check it out. You seem to be doing a pretty decent job for your first time!

I’d be a little worried about that artist of yours though. I’m understand if she’s busy, but it seems as if she hasn’t done anything at all so far?

Anyhow, good luck with your game! I’m looking forward to Kris art ;o; seeing what you do with the game.
@A@ You've tapped into my biggest fear. I'm a little disappointed because I did want to release a demo, but I feel like I can't without any people in it (besides the main character, but you know.)

With the cost of high quality Sprites, I would never be able to get this game done... And it's not really that they have to be perfectly drawn-- it's just that as a fan game, they need to at least have a vague resemblance to the real people. Gyah, thinking about it makes me a little teary, haha. If she does decide to bow out on my and I finish the script, I wonder if I could do a KickStarter just to pay for the character images?

Hahaha, Kris's path is definitely one of my favorites because of the art storyline. Thanks everyone for your interest/support! Trust me, I'll finish this. I've poured way too many dollops of my unredeemable soul to not!
Image ImageImage

Chasing Summer
Regular

#7 Post by Chasing Summer »

@A@ You've tapped into my biggest fear. I'm a little disappointed because I did want to release a demo, but I feel like I can't without any people in it (besides the main character, but you know.)

With the cost of high quality Sprites, I would never be able to get this game done... And it's not really that they have to be perfectly drawn-- it's just that as a fan game, they need to at least have a vague resemblance to the real people. Gyah, thinking about it makes me a little teary, haha. If she does decide to bow out on my and I finish the script, I wonder if I could do a KickStarter just to pay for the character images?

Hahaha, Kris's path is definitely one of my favorites because of the art storyline. Thanks everyone for your interest/support! Trust me, I'll finish this. I've poured way too many dollops of my unredeemable soul to not!
Well, let’s cross our fingers and hope that’s not the case. c:

I totally understand you don’t want to spend money on a fan game. But there are plenty of good sprite artists out there who are willing to work for free, so I doubt a kickstarter will be neccesary. I hope everything goes well with the one you currently have though. Good Luck!

Kiki
Regular

#8 Post by Kiki »

I'm not familiar with the music group, but the customization option is very nice and the mc sprite art is lovely.

May I ask if you are planning to keep the font you're using in those screenshots? It's a bit difficult to read.

silverpikachu99
Veteran
Completed: #Yolo v.s #Swerve (part of worst vn ever)
IRC Nick: silverpikachu99
Tumblr: angelgod2.tumblr.com

#9 Post by silverpikachu99 »

UWAHH!!! Oh my...<3 Please continue this amazingness!! I will be waiting for it to be completed!!
i'll cry if you yell at me

pyopyon
Veteran

#10 Post by pyopyon »

@Chasing Summer -- I'm having trouble finding an alternate artist because there's just so many love interests... and I don't want to ask different people because I admit I am picky and want it to all have a single art style across the board. Thank you though! I'll keep this thread posted, haha.

@Kiki -- Oh! Then I'm flattered that you'd consider playing it! I did plan on keeping the font-- in the game, it's a bit easier to read. I'll talk to my test players and ask what they think.

@silverpikachu99 -- I will! Expect April 2014! That's my goal, anyway. uwu b Thank you for your support!
Image ImageImage

Chasing Summer
Regular

#11 Post by Chasing Summer »

@Chasing Summer -- I'm having trouble finding an alternate artist because there's just so many love interests... and I don't want to ask different people because I admit I am picky and want it to all have a single art style across the board. Thank you though! I'll keep this thread posted, haha.
Good luck with everything! :)

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#12 Post by Donmai »

Interesting idea! Watching with interest.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by try10 »

I've just discovered this band when I downloaded some songs. Most of them are awesome and although I don't know their names ( I'm very very bad with korean names :() I think I'll enjoy playing this game. Good luck and please finish this as soon as you can. I'm so stalking this until it's released. :D

Luminar
Regular

#14 Post by Luminar »

OHMIGOSH! OHMIGOSH! OHMIGOSH! EXO! EXO!
BVSKJDBKADSBDSJBVLSKAJBVKJLBSAKJVBASKJD!!!!!
YEEESSSHHHHH!!!!!YEEESSSHHHHH!!!!!YEEESSSHHHHH!!!!!

Sorry, I'm just SPEECHLESS AND EXTREMELY HAPPY. WOOHOOO!!!! YEAAAHHHH!!!! ROLLL LIKE A BUFFALOOO!!!!! xDDDD
I LURVE YOU FOR EVEN THINKING ABOUT MAKING THIS GAME. ;D

I'm glad there's an exotic here. ;P I'm actually an exotic. My bias' the Happy Virus, Chanyeol. His Smile and Derpness is just SDJBVADVABVSAH. Eyeliner guy and Baozi are the biaswrecker TTATT My feels.

LMAO. Fufufufufufu... insides jokes. xD I hope I can get them. Ohmigosh, Kris' art is gonna be in this game. Kekekeke, our beloved Picasso, you are just simply blinded with your love of art. I really love the main menu's image. ;D

Good luck in the game BTW! You seem to have lots of work left to be done. ;A; Well, I'm sure we have pretty enough time left this year so no need to rush.

I wish I could help you but I'm just simply bad at graphics. Plus, I don't really get what you meant by the yearbook thingy, cause I'm just lame like that. I like writing a whole lot and I'm quite confident of my knowledge of EXO but yeah, you seem to have everything under control. ;D Oh well, I'll just be a supportive fan, then!! xD
'I would like to become the dark,
So that I may hide away and make everyone else shine.'

'You lose yourself trying to hold onto someone who doesn't care about losing you.'

I'm afraid that I'll be a book that no one reads,
Music that no one listens to anymore,
I'm afraid I'll be abandoned like a movie playing in an empty theater

pyopyon
Veteran

#15 Post by pyopyon »

Some updates! Another one of the paths got finished, and some other parts too! I've decided to cut out the epilogues. Short and tedious.... Well, that's 12 less backgrounds I have to make, haha. So it'll end with the confession.

I'll reply in a moment, thank you all for your support! :^)
Image ImageImage