Positioning of characters issue [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Kindynos
Projects: Artist's Heart

Positioning of characters issue [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Kindynos »

So, when working on my VN, I usually want when two characters appear for them to be next to each other.
I use the "at left" and "at right" statement, like

Code: Select all

show girl at left
with dissolve
show boy at right
with dissolve
Thing is, they appear waaaaay far from each other, like this
I need to fix them so they appear next to each other in a rather centered position, I don't know if I make myself clear, I just don't want the characters to be so far away from each other.

Also a bit unrelated that I don't really mind if it's solved, but is there a way on making a character interrupt another in the VN?
Last edited by Kindynos on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm probably the most nervous game maker you'll find, it's a fact

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

Re: Positioning of characters issue

#2 Post by akemicchi »

If you're never going to have them stand that far apart throughout your game, you could redefine left and right so the positions are closer together.

transform left:
    xalign 0.25 #0.0 is on the very left the screen
transform right:
    xalign 0.75 #1.0 is the very right of the screen

Keinart
Regular
Completed: One Thousand Lies
Projects: Lotus Reverie
Organization: Keinart Lobre
Tumblr: keinart
itch: keinart

#3 Post by Keinart »

You could also just define two new positions so you can put them wherever you want

define left2 = Position(xalign=0.3)
define right2 = Position(xalign=0.7)
Just change the xalign to the position you see the be more fitting, and use left2 or right2 (or whatever you call them) instead of left and right.

For the second question you can use {nw}, like in the Documentation
The no-wait tag is a self-closing tag that causes the current line of dialogue to automatically dismiss itself once the end of line has been displayed.

g "Looks like they're{nw}"
show trebuchet
g "Looks like they're{fast} playing with their trebuchet again."

Kindynos
Projects: Artist's Heart

#4 Post by Kindynos »

akemicchi wrote:If you're never going to have them stand that far apart throughout your game, you could redefine left and right so the positions are closer together.

transform left:
    xalign 0.25 #0.0 is on the very left the screen
transform right:
    xalign 0.75 #1.0 is the very right of the screen
This method would have worked amazingly if the pictures hadn't gone lto the top of the screen ; w ; But it still worked, and I might use it for something else!
Keinart wrote:You could also just define two new positions so you can put them wherever you want

define left2 = Position(xalign=0.3)
define right2 = Position(xalign=0.7)
Just change the xalign to the position you see the be more fitting, and use left2 or right2 (or whatever you call them) instead of left and right.

For the second question you can use {nw}, like in the Documentation
The no-wait tag is a self-closing tag that causes the current line of dialogue to automatically dismiss itself once the end of line has been displayed.

g "Looks like they're{nw}"
show trebuchet
g "Looks like they're{fast} playing with their trebuchet again."
This one helped me a lot!! Thank you, I already fixed both issues I had, and I had looked in the documentation and for some reason I couldn't make it work? I think I found out why, in any case. Thank you a lot!!
I'm probably the most nervous game maker you'll find, it's a fact