Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#3736 Post by Kingv »

I don't know if anyone has been following the news lately but the US has been going through a few winter storms lately. I live in Atlanta and it's a mess right now. It snowed maybe an inch or two on Tuesday and now the city's been shut down since then. Because of ice on the roads cars have been stuck on the highway and many people have no way to restock their supplies. Because schools weren't dismissed before the storm hit some students have had to spend the night at school or even got trapped on school buses stuck on the road and had to sleep their until rescued by the national guard. My state's government is a joke. They knew about the potential danger of the storm a week before it hit and did no preparations at all. And now that the mayor and governor are getting blasted by nation wide media coverage they are just looking for others to blame.

I'll be glad when the ice finally melts and things get back to normal.

aphosphene
Regular
Projects: Between The Raindrops, red & clover

#3737 Post by aphosphene »

Kingv wrote:I don't know if anyone has been following the news lately but the US has been going through a few winter storms lately. I live in Atlanta and it's a mess right now. It snowed maybe an inch or two on Tuesday and now the city's been shut down since then. Because of ice on the roads cars have been stuck on the highway and many people have no way to restock their supplies. Because schools weren't dismissed before the storm hit some students have had to spend the night at school or even got trapped on school buses stuck on the road and had to sleep their until rescued by the national guard. My state's government is a joke. They knew about the potential danger of the storm a week before it hit and did no preparations at all. And now that the mayor and governor are getting blasted by nation wide media coverage they are just looking for others to blame.

It sounds as if Queen Elsa (in a horrifyingly bad mood) has been raging there.
I do hope the storms at your place stop soon. And that your state learns from this.
Hug a pillow in the meantime and grab some hot coco. :D
MY PROJECTS

This isn't vengeance. It's justice. A life for a life
Yes. This is justice. I raise the .45 to his face.
And the rest will be vengeance.

serendipity: (n.) finding something beautiful
without looking for it

Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

#3738 Post by Kingv »

aphosphene wrote:
Kingv wrote:I don't know if anyone has been following the news lately but the US has been going through a few winter storms lately. I live in Atlanta and it's a mess right now. It snowed maybe an inch or two on Tuesday and now the city's been shut down since then. Because of ice on the roads cars have been stuck on the highway and many people have no way to restock their supplies. Because schools weren't dismissed before the storm hit some students have had to spend the night at school or even got trapped on school buses stuck on the road and had to sleep their until rescued by the national guard. My state's government is a joke. They knew about the potential danger of the storm a week before it hit and did no preparations at all. And now that the mayor and governor are getting blasted by nation wide media coverage they are just looking for others to blame.

It sounds as if Queen Elsa (in a horrifyingly bad mood) has been raging there.
I do hope the storms at your place stop soon. And that your state learns from this.
Hug a pillow in the meantime and grab some hot coco. :D
Thanks aphosphene! Looks like it's passed for the most part the warmer weather things have started to get better. Unfortunately I live in a very shaded area on a hill so it's still too dangerous to drive since no one has been by to salt the roads and there's still ice on it. So we're going to walk to the nearest store a few miles away to restock supplies. Hot chocolate is a definite yes on my grocery list for the weekend. I need to unwind from the drama.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

#3739 Post by Fungii »

Been feeling really...lumpy lately. It's hard to describe. I'm in my last term of Uni so I'm just slowly careening towards The Real World and while I'm not, like, intensely worried, I'm still a little scared.
I mean all things considered my chances are looking pretty good art-career wise but euagh, eaugh, euagh moving out and securing the job etc.
My friends say I undersell myself a lot but I'm like whatever I'm a student Imma sell myself short to get myself out there while I can afford to do that.

But yeah, work hasn't fully booted up yet but it's fast approaching get down to business time and me and everyone my class are feeling very unmotivated haha. Here's hoping we get back into the swing of things soon!

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#3740 Post by Stripe »

i've been working on a VN for... over four years now, at least? a stupidly long time. and i'm getting to the point where i'm just so frustrated at myself. i can't seem to do anything, the only things i can write are disjointed scenes that don't connect, i have no idea where the plot's even going, i've developed these characters so much but i've got nothing to actually put them /into/, and it's just... really bringing me down that i feel like i have nothing to show even though i've been working on it for so long haha. i don't know why i keep trying to kid myself that i can write because i obviously can't
uuuUUUGHHHHH
slams head against brick wall

aphosphene
Regular

#3741 Post by aphosphene »

Stripe wrote:i've been working on a VN for... over four years now, at least? a stupidly long time. and i'm getting to the point where i'm just so frustrated at myself. i can't seem to do anything, the only things i can write are disjointed scenes that don't connect, i have no idea where the plot's even going, i've developed these characters so much but i've got nothing to actually put them /into/, and it's just... really bringing me down that i feel like i have nothing to show even though i've been working on it for so long haha. i don't know why i keep trying to kid myself that i can write because i obviously can't
uuuUUUGHHHHH
You are my soul sister. I totally connect with you.
Between the Raindrops has been on my to-do list since high school.

*joins in slamming head against brick wall*
MY PROJECTS

without looking for it

aphosphene
Regular

#3742 Post by aphosphene »

Well technically this happened two weeks ago, but it still frustrates me until now.
My laptop and external hard drive got reformatted because of some file my classmate copied into it.
He had no idea it was infected though. BUT ALL MY PROJECT FILES GOT ERASED.

ALL OF IT.

BYE BYE TWO YEARS OF WORK.

OH LOOK THERE GOES MY SOUL.
MY PROJECTS

without looking for it

Head_Phones
Regular
Projects: Clichéd

#3743 Post by Head_Phones »

aphosphene wrote:Well technically this happened two weeks ago, but it still frustrates me until now.
My laptop and external hard drive got reformatted because of some file my classmate copied into it.

ALL OF IT.

Oh god, I'd die if that was me. If everything I'd written was erased. I'd cry wet hot sexy tears, I swear.

Really hope you'll either recover it or find the willpower to redo it (and maybe even brush up on things you'd forgotten about) <3
Last edited by Head_Phones on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'You may be a cunning linguist, but I am a master debater'
~Austin Powers

Profile pic drawn by the wonderful akemicchi

|| Honest Critique ||

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#3744 Post by Hijiri »

Stripe wrote:i've been working on a VN for... over four years now, at least? a stupidly long time. and i'm getting to the point where i'm just so frustrated at myself. i can't seem to do anything, the only things i can write are disjointed scenes that don't connect, i have no idea where the plot's even going, i've developed these characters so much but i've got nothing to actually put them /into/, and it's just... really bringing me down that i feel like i have nothing to show even though i've been working on it for so long haha. i don't know why i keep trying to kid myself that i can write because i obviously can't
uuuUUUGHHHHH
Welcome to the club, it tends to happen. You just gotta keep pressing on till you finish. Add scenes, remove them, just find a way to bring it all together.
All of us who've invested so much time into our projects owe it to ourselves to finish. After all, if we don't, why did we even bother spending so much time and effort? Make it mean something.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

rakada
Regular

#3745 Post by rakada »

aphosphene wrote:Well technically this happened two weeks ago, but it still frustrates me until now.

ALL OF IT.

that why when i work on stuff i save it on 3 different places computer, external, and on my SD on my phone +if it text only you could just inbox yourself on hotmail (little paranoid something going to go wrong like my computer blows up into an amazing ball of fire)

but yea that really sucks i personally don't think i could do it again i most likely take a break then start something new

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3746 Post by DaFool »

So apparently I need to upgrade from a laptop with Intel graphics to a workstation with 8GB ram and Nvidia card just to run the new Unity 4.3 with the new 2D sprite functionality.

Yes, just to make mobile 2D games that can be sold for at most $2. Hilarious.

On the other hand, gaining Unity experience can only be good for my resume. I have to familiarize myself with the software anyway to provide IT support for the incoming new programming team in my company.

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3747 Post by mugenjohncel »

DaFool wrote:8GB ram
I recommend you make that at least 16... trust me, it's for your own sanity.
DaFool wrote:I have to familiarize myself with the software anyway to provide IT support for the incoming new programming team in my company.
To save you the headache I went through. Make every folder (including the project folders) related to Unity exempted from the antivirus. Avast ate some of my files not once but three times. Normally happens after Avast updated to something wonky and screw up the virus definitions.

"POOF" (Disappears)

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3748 Post by DaFool »

mugenjohncel wrote:
DaFool wrote:8GB ram
I recommend you make that at least 16... trust me, it's for your own sanity.
... to make a smartphone game? Seriously?

There's no server in the office with more than 8GB RAM and several still have 2GB. They're even virtual hosts.

It used to be that you could pool together scripts and open source packages to make your phone game, but apparently the rate that Apple and Google lock down on non-compliant code means that you'd rather just get middleware that keeps pace with the updates in the OS rather than rolling your own extensions every time.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3749 Post by SundownKid »

uuuUUUGHHHHH
Just like art, getting better at writing is mainly based on practice, feedback, and reading a lot of books for experience. Based on what you said, I think you shouldn't be afraid to make new characters to fit the story rather than try to use one cast of characters for a story they may not belong in. Starting from scratch can be helpful sometimes.

As far as plot goes, you can read tutorials on how to outline a plot, in order to lay it out beforehand so you won't be frustrated before you try to write it.

ALL OF IT.

There are some cloud backup services as well, for example, Google Drive, Dropbox and Skydrive, where you can back up your files to. If you don't have an external hard drive or high capacity USB drive.

Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

#3750 Post by Rozume »

...Why did I decide to go commercial? Especially when I hadn't release any games before?

I can't really back out now; I already invested a lot of money and got a lot of people involved. I'll just going to have to work towards making a quality product, and market market market.

*smashes head on keyboard*