viewing source code files

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
anndelise

viewing source code files

#1 Post by anndelise »

If given the source code of a game, how does one view it?

notepad will read it, though it's not as pretty
and I just found out that i can open individual files at a time using "scite" which I found in the editor file

but is there a way of viewing this from the launcher itself?

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#2 Post by monele »

There should be a "Edit script" button that opens Scite on the proper files. In any case, Scite is the way to go, wether you open it through the launcher or not ^^

anndelise

#3 Post by anndelise »

monele wrote:There should be a "Edit script" button that opens Scite on the proper files. In any case, Scite is the way to go, wether you open it through the launcher or not ^^
ok, so somehow, the source files should show up in the launcher's "Select Project" area, right? I stuck a copy of the source files alongside the demo files, but it still doesn't show up in "Select Project".

If needed I can make photo clips of how my files are so someone can tell me where i went wrong with them.

(I swear I am not trying to be difficult! :oops: )

anndelise

#4 Post by anndelise »

Ok, I have the Ren'Py in the Engines folder, I play magbou1.2 from the folder shown above, and am trying to view the magbou_source file. To do so, I copied the files (cuz I didn't want to totally screw up the game if I messed up with something...and placed them like so:

From this area, I have access to the renpy launcher, and I can see the tutorial files (demo, dse, the_question) and my own files (my_question, Brewery Draft), so I figured if I took the magbou 1.2 game file (the filed labeled "game") then I might have access to launching it as an option along with the other files, alas clicking on the launcher took me straight to the magbou game without any of the launcher benefits of project selection, etc. So I renamed "game" to "Magical Boutique", thus giving me back the options to pick my projects, etc.

Ok, so according to me and my dimwittedness in all things computer, there doesn't seem to be a difference between the tutorials and either of the magbou files. But when I click the launcer...and Select a Project:

Neither of them show up. :?

What am I doing wrong?
How am I supposed to get them to show up?

#5 Post by Guest »

ok, one problem fixed.

i created a new file, named it Magical Boutique, then placed magbou's game file into it. the game now shows up as an option to launch.
WooHoo! I learned something!! :o

still don't know how to get to the source code from the launcher, yet

not as important though, since I do have a way of viewing them, even if not easily. i'll explore some more though.

btw, this is ann....too lazy to sign in again.

Enerccio
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: My Teacher; Songs of Araiah; Something new; Possible Cross Bomber?

#6 Post by Enerccio »

Copy it into

Code: Select all

magic boutique/game
http://www.bishojo.tk is technically ONLINE!
Songs of Araiah promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CalchucuoDU

anndelise

#7 Post by anndelise »

*dances a little dance*

YES!! 2...count them..2 things learned today!!!

thank you Enerccio :D
thank you monele

this thread can now be closed

*dances away happily*

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

Yeah, any project should be in a directory and then the code should be in a 'game' directory inside it :). I just gave the source, not the whole directory structure ^^;

Brewery Draft, uh?... :3

anndelise

#9 Post by anndelise »

monele wrote:Yeah, any project should be in a directory and then the code should be in a 'game' directory inside it :).
this is what i was trying to get answered in the other thread.
and now i know! :lol:
Brewery Draft, uh?... :3
part of a project that will likely never get done.
I had an idea of a drinking contest system, where you have to build up your ability to drink a lot of alcohol without getting drunk nor puking nor passing out, have to hold up your reputation with at least one of the four bars in town so they would ask you to represent them, etc.....
this idea mutated in a couple of different directions
a) including other bar activities such as pool, darts, cards, "dating", etc
b) having the ability to run your own bar
too complex for a very beginner to even consider!!!!!

lol, so first things first
I'm learning RenPy by playing around with making the first system in which you learn to make the different drinks that will be available to this future bar.
But I'll likely lose interest in even the idea.
But at least it gives me a focus for now as I learn about the different aspects available in RenPy, modifying the tutorial information/demos to fit my ideas rather than trying to learn how to mimic something that doesn't interest me. (Rearranging is how I learn best.)
(Though I wish there was a crafting system tutorial alongside the other tutorials.)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by monele »

I see. Well do keep in mind that Ren'Py is not a "game maker" but really a "visual novel maker". I'm not saying it's impossible to make other types of games (we have a few proof examples) but it's harder....... though maybe not harder than with any other engine actually.

The easiest to begin with is to try and make some "choose your own adventure" type of game. Text and choices that lead to more text. Once you get the hang of this, you can start looking at how to make complex interfaces.
Of course, if you feel comfortable with it right away, go with it :)