Review Blog

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Mr. E
Regular

Review Blog

#1 Post by Mr. E »

I changed the name of the topic because it could mislead the people who read it. This topic is now mainly dedicated to a weblog that will contain reviews for the Lemmasoft forum's games. Anyonw that wishes can get either reviews, which are in-depth and a bit spoilerish or synopsis which describe the game's general outline and may be useful for those that haven't played the game. The weblog's adress is currently the one below:

http://blogs.cjb.net/mremre/
Last edited by Mr. E on Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mr. E
Regular

#2 Post by Mr. E »

Post deleted due to thread inadequacy.
Last edited by Mr. E on Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. E
Regular

#3 Post by Mr. E »

Last edited by Mr. E on Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

I will out myself as the one who encouraged you to post the reviews... and let me encourage you to go one step further, and get a blog or website to post them on, separate from the forum.

Why? Well, when you post here, your post will eventually get buried, or else get comments stuck onto them (like this one). That kinda makes it more difficult for people to find the reviews. Also, having a blog will get you things like RSS feeds, which help people find out when you've added a new review.

I think having independent reviews of these games is important. We now have at least 70 games, of varying quality and qualities. Having reviewers is important, insofar as it helps someone new to the community find the games that they will like the best.

Although this is neither here nor there, I always liked Roger Ebert's stated approach to reviewing:
Roger Ebert wrote: Not at all. What it means is that the star rating system is relative, not absolute. When you ask a friend if "Hellboy" is any good, you're not asking if it's any good compared to "Mystic River," you're asking if it's any good compared to "The Punisher." And my answer would be, on a scale of one to four, if "Superman" (1978) is four, then "Hellboy" is three and "The Punisher" is two. In the same way, if "American Beauty" gets four stars, then "Leland" clocks in at about two.
Full context is here, in a review of "Shaolin Soccer". (I got this via wikipedia.)

I'm not saying this is the only style for a critic, or even that anyone should embrace it, but it is one that appeals to me on a theoretical sense. I do think that there needs to be a place for critics and reviews at our table, simply because they will help people new to our community find the games they want to play.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mr. E
Regular

#5 Post by Mr. E »

Last edited by Mr. E on Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. E
Regular

#6 Post by Mr. E »

Response to Py'Tom

I have no problem putting all my reviews in a blog... I'll rumage around until I find out a good place and I'll put the web adress here. Until then this thread will work as a (short) temporary place for these reviews.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#7 Post by F.I.A »

Heh, as for that scene where Rosetta commited her second suicide(Sounds funny, I know.), I tried to work around that slit part with some comments from others. So, rest easy, for you are not at fault.

Well, you are one of the hardworking beta-testers I ever had. Making a Renairody out of your first title is the only way I can do to repay. :P

If any time you want to do the volunter work again, I will surely reserve one place for you. Period.
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

Haven't read yet but mm... I'd like to read these, except the game names should be made more obvious (in bold is only the author name). And if they're really spoily, it might be nice to have non-spoily versions for people who are trying to find a game to play ^^.

Mr. E
Regular

#9 Post by Mr. E »

Ok... I've set up a blog and I will start adding the reviews bit by bit. I'll be busy lately so I can't promise regular updates, but I'll try.
Please comment on what you think of it:
:P
http://blogs.cjb.net/mremre/

Mr. E
Regular

#10 Post by Mr. E »

Posted in the blog the Synopsis and review of Embraced by Green, done by Ignosco. I guess his help will save the blog from rotting away while I am busy. :P

Ignosco
Veteran

#11 Post by Ignosco »

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions/comments/criticisms (particularly with the format of the reviews). And please point out anything I've said that is misleading or wrong.

Hopefully I should be able to write another review in the next few days for one of the more recent games.

I guess my overall reviewing style leans more toward the positive features of each game - I find it difficult to make comparisons even between games of the same genre/style/relationship type etc. For me, I guess the overall experience of the game is the most important thing - and hopefully what I've written will give the reader a feel for what the game might be like.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#12 Post by mikey »

I think the idea is very nice, even taking existing reviews or well-formulated paragraphs from the existing complete game topics to create a kind of "best-of" would be interesting.

I second focusing on positives - I found that especially with these games it's counterproductive to think negatively - sure criticism can help the maker, and it probably makes good sense in the topic, but being overly critical in "public" reviews won't help - probably the goal should be to try to make people understand the mindset with which to approach them, because that's the only good way of enjoying the work of fans.

Technically, there really should be an index of games, where you could choose the title. Probably some screenshots later on, and it could be a really nice face for the fandom. Renai.us is sterile and archive-only (and so it should stay), and this site could be a good addition.

Provided, it's actually kept in shape and updated. That's critical.

Ignosco
Veteran

#13 Post by Ignosco »

I've sent a synopsis and review for Starlit Sky to Mr. E - probably for the next one I'll do Lucy's Revenge :twisted:.

When The Nettestadt Troll and other 18+ games are released, do you think there should be a separate blog for their reviews?

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by mikey »

Not really. I think that it's perfectly doable to make a review for an 18+ title that doesn't need to be in a special section. If you avoid screenshots of sex scenes, and avoid explicit descriptions, there should be no reason not to have it with other reviews.

But of course, when seen from the POV of the content of the games, that's another story, since 18+ should have an 18+ section.

It depends (the ever-helpful answer ^_^).

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by mikey »

One more thing - I noticed the blog service that's being used has these ugly ads, underlining words.

Also, for some reason, apostrophes and hyphens don't show... see marks.

:(