Get that thing off your chest... Now...

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
briannavon
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Get that thing off your chest... Now...

#3781 Post by briannavon »

Morhighan wrote:I went to the ER in January due to pain and a distended stomach, and the doctor blew me off and told me that I was just menstruating.
I just went back to the ER on Wednesday because the pain was so bad that I couldn't hear or walk or talk. It was like a bomb had gone off...in my body. Specifically, I thought it was my ovary. The tests they performed showed that nothing was wrong--but that my appendix was dilated at 11cm rather than the normal 7cm, so they decided to keep me for 24 hours to watch me. My pain didn't die down, but they decided I was healthy enough to go home. I asked for my appendix to be removed because I didn't want to have stayed in the hospital for three days for no reason.
I had surgery on Saturday. The surgeon visited me on Sunday and explained that while they were looking around, they had noticed what the tests did not reveal: my right ovary had indeed ruptured. They believed it to be cysts that had ruptured. They are going to have me come back to see if I need another surgery to remove one or both of my ovaries.
Had the doctor in January done her job and actually examined me, this wouldn't have happened. She barely talked to me and never once touched or looked at me as part of her examination. I was in her care for three hours.
I have been considering getting a lawyer, but the ones that I have talked to say it's pretty pointless because I'm not dead, I don't want a lot of money, it's "only" my ovary, and I "should" be able to pay the $5,000+ that I owe the hospital. I've lost both of my jobs due to this issue, and I am unable to find new ones while I recover. I am also afraid that I might have to undergo another expensive surgery. The anxiety is making it so that I don't even want to get the care I actually deserve. I am tempted to act like a giraffe: dig a hole and wait to die. I won't, though. Things will just be tough for a while.
Anyway, thanks for letting me get that off of my chest!

Aww....Even though I am young, I think you should keep looking for a good lawyer (and mention the losing jobs part!)
Join Me At LivingGame Productions!

http://livinggameproductions.blogspot.com/

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#3782 Post by Morhighan »

Aww....Even though I am young, I think you should keep looking for a good lawyer (and mention the losing jobs part!)
I'll keep looking!

On my chest today:

Today I have to go for my post-surgery check up. However, they are also going to check to see if they have to do more surgery.
Also my surgery wounds are infected and seem to have internal bleeding. (Sudden bruises forming.)

I hope this goes well.
._.

ALSO I have to go get screened for Cancer, which I am at risk for now. And on top of that, if the condition comes back, I'll have to have surgeries fairly frequently or have my entire reproductive system taken out. Which I don't mind, but if that happens, my family and my fiance's family are going to have a couple of COWS because they won't have grandchildren or whatever.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#3783 Post by Michiyo6918 »

My external hard drive broke down on me all of the sudden. Just like that, out of the blue, BAM!!

I lost all of my file, all of my novel I have ever been written for the last four years, all of my drawing, all of my music, every effin thing! //flips a table//

Since my laptop was getting quite buggy, I thought it would be safer to transfer most of my file to a 500GB external hard drive. But apparently nope! Life hates me! My laptop still works just fine until now, didn't break down on me, but my external hard drive did! OTLLLLL my life is a mess I can't seem to find back my motivation for writing sobs. (I stopped writing novel, I stopped translating novel, just stopped everything LMFAO)

I got a little better lately but I still agonize over all the lost file in that hard drive. I mean all of the novel I have ever written (finished or not) in the last four year ever since I started writing OTL over 40 file words OTL just disappeared like that. I tried to recover the file from my laptop with hope they were still there, only got one or two novels back, the rest had been corrupted or rewritten over ///sobs//

//Jumps down a hill now bye bye world
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#3784 Post by noeinan »

Morhighan wrote: I'll keep looking!

On my chest today:

Today I have to go for my post-surgery check up. However, they are also going to check to see if they have to do more surgery.
Also my surgery wounds are infected and seem to have internal bleeding. (Sudden bruises forming.)

I hope this goes well.
._.

ALSO I have to go get screened for Cancer, which I am at risk for now. And on top of that, if the condition comes back, I'll have to have surgeries fairly frequently or have my entire reproductive system taken out. Which I don't mind, but if that happens, my family and my fiance's family are going to have a couple of COWS because they won't have grandchildren or whatever.
Oh, no, I hope it goes well! I can sympathize-- doctors are really weird about female reproductive organs. (You're just menstruating, suck it up! etc.)

If your in-laws freak out, you can remind them that you can still adopt. :)

Again, good luck and I hope your follow up goes well!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3785 Post by SundownKid »

Michiyo6918 wrote:My external hard drive broke down on me all of the sudden. Just like that, out of the blue, BAM!!

I lost all of my file, all of my novel I have ever been written for the last four years, all of my drawing, all of my music, every effin thing! //flips a table//

Since my laptop was getting quite buggy, I thought it would be safer to transfer most of my file to a 500GB external hard drive. But apparently nope! Life hates me! My laptop still works just fine until now, didn't break down on me, but my external hard drive did! OTLLLLL my life is a mess I can't seem to find back my motivation for writing sobs. (I stopped writing novel, I stopped translating novel, just stopped everything LMFAO)

I got a little better lately but I still agonize over all the lost file in that hard drive. I mean all of the novel I have ever written (finished or not) in the last four year ever since I started writing OTL over 40 file words OTL just disappeared like that. I tried to recover the file from my laptop with hope they were still there, only got one or two novels back, the rest had been corrupted or rewritten over ///sobs//

//Jumps down a hill now bye bye world
They call it a backup copy for a reason, it should be in two places at once. Which reminds me, I have to back up my own data.

In the future though, you should copy your files to an external drive while leaving them on the computer. There are probably programs that do that automatically.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#3786 Post by Rinima »

Welp, was planning on looking for an artist again (since mine went awol -_-), and paid for the music, to find, crap, I'll have to wait till summer to get any art. My funds just dropped ;~;

Ah well, just need to get a summer job :)
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Michiyo6918
Veteran

#3787 Post by Michiyo6918 »

SundownKid wrote:They call it a backup copy for a reason, it should be in two places at once. Which reminds me, I have to back up my own data.

In the future though, you should copy your files to an external drive while leaving them on the computer. There are probably programs that do that automatically.

Yeah I understand what you mean. But since my laptop was really buggy and took almost 15 minutes just to start up, moving the file to an external hard drive seemed to help the laptop's speed somewhat. (I couldn't even listening to music while drawing because it was too lagging haha) OTL Well, trying to outsmart my laptop seemed to backfire on me //cries a little inside
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3788 Post by LVUER »

Michiyo6918 wrote:My external hard drive broke down on me all of the sudden. Just like that, out of the blue, BAM!!
Ouch, it's scary to hear that a HDD can just fail out of the blue like that... How old is that HDD anyway? And what brand? Perhaps there's some external factor that cause the break down?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#3789 Post by Caveat Lector »

Is there anything else you can do to recover the files? Perhaps you could take it in to a computer shop and have an expert go in and do something? Barring all else, do you at least have any written notes for your story lying around somewhere? In any event, I'm really sorry to hear that.

For future protection, maybe you could get a USB key and update it roughly once a month/week?
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Michiyo6918
Veteran

#3790 Post by Michiyo6918 »

LVUER wrote:Ouch, it's scary to hear that a HDD can just fail out of the blue like that... How old is that HDD anyway? And what brand? Perhaps there's some external factor that cause the break down?

That is the part that bugged me the most. My HDD was brand new, I just bought it off of Ebay not too long ago (Like a month or so and I hardly used it) it was just fine the day before it broke down though. Then came the next morning when I wanted to look over some of my old fictions, I plugged the darn thing in and it didn't work. The light was still on, but nothing popped up on my screen. I tried to plug the HDD into other computer and laptop, same thing, the HDD's light was on but nothing popped up on the screen OTL When I brought it to the store, they said it was broken (WTF)

I can't quite remember what brand it was. (I think Toshiba?) Aa my poor memory sobs

Caveat Lector wrote:Is there anything else you can do to recover the files? Perhaps you could take it in to a computer shop and have an expert go in and do something? Barring all else, do you at least have any written notes for your story lying around somewhere? In any event, I'm really sorry to hear that.

For future protection, maybe you could get a USB key and update it roughly once a month/week?

I intended to do that, but the guy at the store I went to said it was going to cost a lot so my sister told me to give up on it o(╥﹏╥)o There was over 40 different file words in that HDD (aka 40 different story finished or not) so it was really the end of it haha I couldn't do anything (I remember how some of the novel go but there was no way I would sit down and retype everything OTL It wouldn't be the same anymore) I was glad that some of my longest novel was posted and updated regularly on my blog, so I can still go there and copy paste it down into a new word file. But for the rest of it--- I will be fine soon (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Haha djskad thank you for all of your concerns you guys are too nice 。゚(TヮT)゚
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3791 Post by MaiMai »

That sounds a lot like what happened to my HP except it was the motherboard that was fried and I was able to have a laptop/computer repairman salvage most of my important data. How much did the guy at the store say it would cost to recover what's on your harddrive? For me, it was 80 USD.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3792 Post by SundownKid »

Some HDD and other computer parts can arrive DOA or break down fast, due to a defect or some problem during shipping. But in that case it should be under warranty, if you can't return it to the store.

I don't think hard drives USUALLY fail instantly though.
MaiMai wrote:That sounds a lot like what happened to my HP except it was the motherboard that was fried and I was able to have a laptop/computer repairman salvage most of my important data. How much did the guy at the store say it would cost to recover what's on your harddrive? For me, it was 80 USD.
I had an HP laptop where the motherboard melted for no reason, right after it came out of warranty. After that I will never get another HP product and I recommend no one else does either. Their printers aren't much better - the HP printer I got had a failed screen after a year.

Michiyo6918
Veteran

#3793 Post by Michiyo6918 »

MaiMai wrote:That sounds a lot like what happened to my HP except it was the motherboard that was fried and I was able to have a laptop/computer repairman salvage most of my important data. How much did the guy at the store say it would cost to recover what's on your harddrive? For me, it was 80 USD.

OMG //pats u too

I have almost 80GB of stuff in that HD (ノ´Д`)ノ and the guy said to recover all of my word file it would cost us at least $50 or something. And that was a lot of money for an international student like me. I didn't want to burden my family more than I already have (My parents take care of my and my sister's school tuition at the same time) so I decided to just give up on it OTL

SundownKid wrote:Some HDD and other computer parts can arrive DOA or break down fast, due to a defect or some problem during shipping. But in that case it should be under warranty, if you can't return it to the store.

I don't think hard drives USUALLY fail instantly though.

I think that might be the case. I was just unlucky then haha Sobs
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#3794 Post by azureXtwilight »

IT'S RAINING AAASH EVERYWHERE. VALENTINE IS RUINEDDDD. I am an evil evil person for being somewhat happy.

Due to Kelud mount explosion our city turned into a zombie movie setting. This is taken in the morning.
In the downside... I can't go out and look for food X_X
Attachments
BgZE5WpCUAAEWO5.jpg large.jpg

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3795 Post by PyTom »

azureXtwilight wrote:IT'S RAINING AAASH EVERYWHERE.
How do you even clean up from that? With snow, you just pile it up somewhere until the weather gets warm. Do you have to just throw the ash away?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom