3rd Person VN?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

3rd Person VN?

#1 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Hello,
Can someone give me an example of a 3rd person Visual Novel choice and story? (like a bit of the story leading up to a choice).

Would this mean the story still follows one person's perspective though? or how does this work?

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: 3rd Person VN?

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Here's a list of VNs with third-person narration, filtered by partial/full English availability, and arranged in alphabetical order. Some have NSFW content, so keep that in mind.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

Usually a third person story still follows the perspective of one person, as they are still the protagonist of the story. If you're writing the story about Nick, you wouldn't suddenly switch to Sarah. That's how a whole ton of novels are, anyway.

Third person is less popular in VNs as it leads to a bit of a disconnect between the story and visuals. But that doesn't mean it's not possible. The Stanley Parable is a first person game with a third person narrator.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#4 Post by Michiyo6918 »

Maybe it's just me but most novel I have been reading up until now (Not visual novel) are written in third person, and they switch POV quite often between character to character. The definition of the main character in these kind of novel only goes as far as the character that the story begins with. In my personal opinion, I like these kind of novel because it reflects a deeper feeling in each and every character in the story + help the readers get a better grab of all the character. (An evil character in Nicole's POV might actually turn out to be a nice guy when the reader get a chance to look into that evil character's thought and feeling, etc)

Then again most novel I've been reading are either in Vietnamese or Chinese so I don't know if there would be any different LMFAO.

Out of the topic amg -- sorry
Can someone give me an example of a 3rd person Visual Novel choice and story? (like a bit of the story leading up to a choice).

Choice and story are all depend on how you want to handle it. If you wrote your story in third person but still strictly stick to one character's perspective, you can always do the choice like how a normal first person visual novel do. (What should he do? | 1. Do this | 2. Do that)
I thought of another way to approach this by making your visual novel appear to be a flashback or a story telling time with the choice be like "He remember that time she: 1. Kiss him | 2. Slap him"

I still agree with SundowKid about the whole disconnect between the story and visuals thing. But if you know how to handle it nicely, I bet it's gonna be a master piece~~

Then suddenly I remember something-- isn't Absolute Obedience a third person visual novel that switch POV quite a lot too? LMFAO Innocent lambs beware when you go google for that title okay

Yush, all of this is just my poor opinion hahaha (╯°□°)╯

Since I'm making a visual novel in third person so
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”