NaNoRenO is coming again! Who's excited?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

NaNoRenO is coming again! Who's excited?

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Every year I look forward to NaNoRenO, probably the only "game jam" I know of dedicated to visual novel creation. It's fun to push yourself to make a VN in only a month, whether using assets or creating your own. My first try was too ambitious, and in fact I'm still making that project (64,000+ words now, near completion o.o) and the following year my other project didn't finish, however I was able to participate in the group effort of Funnyguts' "Reverse Robin" and I hope to join another little thing like that. It was nice to at least have participated in a completed project, so with that I am satisfied that this year, I can pull this off! Looking back at previous NaNoRenO's, my problem was too many characters; my goal this year is to have very few characters and while I still like to be ambitious, I'm going to do my best to restrain myself. I'm also considering doing my own sprites this year, if I have the time (I should). I have been practicing and I won't get any better if I don't just force myself, and NaNoRenO is always a place to start pushing your limits.

So what about you? Do you plan to jump into NaNoRenO this year, whether to add another game to your belt, actually try to complete one, or join a collab? How many of you are veteran NaNoRenO's or first timers? Since the time is near, I thought a little discussion thread would be fun to do! I know we can't really start planning until the 2014 NaNoRenO board is up, but making a stragety early I think is never a bad idea. Just looking back at previous years, I already know what needs to be done if I plan to complete. What's your battle plan, if you have one?
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

Re: NaNoRenO is coming again! Who's excited?

#2 Post by Fungii »

If only I had the time to participaaaaate!
I'd love to do sprites for someones game but I'd only be able to do something that was super lightweight; simplified style, few characters, one pose/outfit.

Ah well, next year I'll be out of university and maybe able to actually think of a short little game.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#3 Post by Googaboga »

Woo NaNoReno is awesome :mrgreen:. I'd like to take part one year but this probably won't be the year. I don't think I'm ready to make a game all on my own and I also don't think I'm skillful enough to be a worthwhile team member ^^;. Oh well maybe next year X3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

I definitely want to try for this year; I haven't made a project since my first kinetic novel made with very amateurish art. And over the years, I've tried to start various projects that ended before any real traction could be gained, mostly because of my insecurities as an artist.

I've improved a lot since then so I hope I can find a writer who could work with me and we could motivate each other to finish a VN even if I don't make NaNoRenO's time limit.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#5 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Yeah I'm super excited for it :) Last years NaNoRenO (which kick started my group and interest in creating visual novels on my own) was a blast even though I didn't finish. Well, I could of put A Simple Act out but chose not to to improve on it haha.

Now I feel that I can get something out on time, even if it's not the masterpiece I picture in my mind. I've already started outlining and design work for it and will probably get some help from my friend Alex/recruit some after I can show I can hold up my end of the bargain. March will be a very busy month for me but I want to at least attempt NaNo if I can ^^
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Hyraculon
Regular
Projects: Goetia Club

#6 Post by Hyraculon »

I'd like to give it a try myself! I think it'll be nice to work on a short-term project instead of the monster I'm working on now (which was also supposed to be a short-term project, once upon a time...)

No idea what I want to do, though.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#7 Post by Caveat Lector »

Do you have to make a game from scratch-scratch, or can it be something you've been toying with for a while and are starting to take the first steps towards making the idea a reality? Realistically, even if I do take part this year, I probably wouldn't finish the whole thing in one month, but it might at least help me get a large bulk of it done writing-wise. I'm not sure if I will or not because March will also be the time when I'll have to dedicate most of my time to my major assignments due at the end of the semester, but it might be worth a try at least.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#8 Post by Laiska »

Perhaps I'll make something short on my own. It would be fun to work with someone else on one, but I wouldn't want to disappoint anyone by being busy with other things.

ShippoK
Veteran
Projects: Eyes of Gold (In-Progress)
Organization: (Red Moon)

#9 Post by ShippoK »

I still have that NaNoRen0 project I've put on-hold from last year. I really would love to get back to it, but, not right now.
I don't know how people can work on more then one project at a time, it's quite the hassle too do.

Anyway, I'm excited to see what projects people make this year. Good luck everyone!
Much Appreciated for those who took the Survey!

Image Image
Eyes of Gold [BL (Suspense) (+18)] IN-PROGRESS
Alternate Online [(Friendship) (+10)] ON-HOLD
DeviantART• •[Honest critique] - 'Honesty is its own reward.'

rakada
Regular

#10 Post by rakada »

it seems like a pretty interesting challenge to partake in, so i decided to join in the fun and make a little something when the time comes.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen

#11 Post by Laiska »

Is there a set of official rules around?

MaiMai
Yandere

#12 Post by MaiMai »

Laiska wrote:Is there a set of official rules around?
I don't think so. There's never been a set of written rules for as long as I've been here and the most people abide by is putting their WIPs for NaNoRenO in the section dedicated to it. No one's gonna flay people for not being able to finish a game in a month.

Laiska
Veteran

#13 Post by Laiska »

Ah I meant more in terms of general guidelines, i.e. what should/shouldn't be completed before the month starts, whether it should be a new project, etc.

MaiMai
Yandere

#14 Post by MaiMai »

The goal has always been to try and finish a game in a month.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... =13&t=9995 there's this old thread that might add some insight.

EDIT: http://www.mangatutorials.net/renaigames/nanoreno.html oh and there's this, although I highly doubt anyone's been actually constrained by these guidelines (this was written back in '06 it seems where ren'ai was more common if not expected, but it generally doesn't apply anymore; make any story you want, romance or not, etc)

Aisserium

#15 Post by Aisserium »

I've been waiting since last NaNoRen0 to participate in one, but I don't know if I'm ready... All the stories I think about are not that good, and I think "if it will be something that they will forget soon, it doesn't make sense". I'll try to think in a better story, and if I found it, this will be my first NaNoRen0
Every child in Valoran...