Shoujo Attack for Linux!

This is where all the old Lemma Soft-specific posts are (i.e. Tales of Lemma 1, Shoujo Attack!, and some Hanafuda Club). They are here for old times sake ^^
jtux

Shoujo Attack for Linux!

#1 Post by jtux »

And now for a long overdue announcement:

Shoujo Attack has been ported to Linux, which removes the need for Wine(X)/Cedega! :)
Requirements:
- a recent Linux distro (SuSE Linux 8.2 or later will do fine, others hopefully as well)
- Allegro (should come with your distro, otherwise grab it here)

Until the ZIP file on the official website has been updated, you can get it here (contains both the Windows and the Linux version).

Please note that once the official ZIP is updated, the other download will be removed. So if the link is dead by the time you read this, you know where to look...

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

Sorry I didn't post something sooner about this :oops: But yes, jtux took care of a Linux port (thank you!)

I gotta come up with an idea to compress the size of Shoujo Attack! better, though... :?

jtux

#3 Post by jtux »

Blue Lemma wrote:Sorry I didn't post something sooner about this :oops: But yes, jtux took care of a Linux port (thank you!)

I gotta come up with an idea to compress the size of Shoujo Attack! better, though... :?
I noticed you redesigned the website, but the Linux port is still missing...

RedSlash
Veteran

#4 Post by RedSlash »

You need a ToL Linux port too! Please make it an option in ToL2!

Tage
Regular

#5 Post by Tage »

If you want a better compression than .zip format, try using .7z format.
http://www.7-zip.org/
The two best compression formats that I know of are .rar and .7z.
WinRAR costs money, but 7-Zip is free. They're actually pretty much a tie when it comes to compression ratio. A tie in the respect that .rar format sometimes compresses the files a lot more than .7z format and vice versa.

Grey
Veteran

#6 Post by Grey »

Thing is about zip though is that everyone has it.

People aren't put off downloading the file because of the unknown format, which they will then have to identify, and then locate and download a program to open just for a few KB knocked off the original download.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#7 Post by Sai »

.RAR is free and I'd say as widely used as .ZIP really.
Never heard of 7-zip.

Tage
Regular

#8 Post by Tage »

True, but you should try it! n.n It's my second favorite compression tool. It compresses slower than other formats, but the end result is a MUCH smaller file. It can make self-extractable files too, so there's no need for anyone to download the 7-Zip program to extract it. The latest WinRAR program supports unzipping .7z format.

Try 9MBs off the original zip file up there. That is worth it to 56kers. Not trying to be rude; I'm just pointing out that it's not simply a few KBs.

RedSlash
Veteran

#9 Post by RedSlash »

Well since it make self extracting exe, then there isn't much of a problem then. Even better if an installer tools can make use of it.

So 9MB off what type of files? Most games use jpg and pngs for images which are already compressed, and recompressing them won't give you more compression. It really depends on the content you are compressing.

Tage
Regular

Re: Shoujo Attack for Linux!

#10 Post by Tage »

jtux wrote:Until the ZIP file on the official website has been updated, you can get it here (contains both the Windows and the Linux version).
9MB off this file. Actually, looking at the original file again, it's actually an 11MB difference instead of 9MBs.