Visual Novel, Story in days?

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving game writing.
Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

Visual Novel, Story in days?

#1 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Hello Everyone,

I'm just wondering, your average visual novel, how many days does it take up?

I've been writing my story just based on events. So some events could be like 5 scenes for 1 day while others can be like 2 scenes per day.

What's your opinions on this?

How long should a story take overall in terms of days, to have that beginning, climax, end sequence?

(not sure if this is the right place to post)

- - - - -
*note* follow up question
I guess what I mean is, is it weird if you have 7 events in one day, and then 2 in another?
I'm writing a visual novel that isn't very consistent with events in a timeframe so :/

Thanks!
Last edited by Allegra Hughes on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

Re: Visual Novel, Story in days?

#2 Post by noeinan »

Honestly, I don't think the number of days matter at all. The only thing that matters is consistency (like changing the season when time goes by, making characters older if years go by, etc.)

Different stories take different amounts of time to complete, at different paces. (Slice of Life might be more easygoing, stat raisers have more "filler" time, action oriented games should keep tension high and go faster, etc.)

Really, this is a question of pacing the story, which again varies widely depending on what you're trying to do.

Michiyo6918
Veteran
Projects: ╮(╯▽╰)╭

#3 Post by Michiyo6918 »

Well, the number of days is usually not matter in a story. It all depend on how you want the story to unfold.

Like if you want to write a love story. A good example would be Romeo and Juliet which only take place in a few days from beginning to how they fell in love and died. That is a fast paced love story (to me is kind of childish lmfao) Then you have another love story which takes place in months even years for the characters to fall in love. (Event 1 - a few days/month pass - event 2 - etc)

Once again, it's all depend on what kind of story you want to tell.
Tumblr | DA | Honest Critique
“如果那个人是神。
他想渎神。
——【黑匣子】”

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#4 Post by noeinan »

^To me, Romeo and Juliette was a comedy.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Sakura Hughes wrote:Hello Everyone,

I'm just wondering, your average visual novel, how many days does it take up?

I've been writing my story just based on events. So some events could be like 5 scenes for 1 day while others can be like 2 scenes per day.

What's your opinions on this?

How long should a story take overall in terms of days, to have that beginning, climax, end sequence?

(not sure if this is the right place to post)

Thanks!
Perhaps this is a cliche answer but... that depends on the plot. It could be one day or less to several tens of years. For My NaNoRenO, the plot takes 7 days because of story reason and to divide the gameplay into more manageable and reasonable segments. While for other games that I collaborate with, the plot only takes one day (if you don't count the prologue).

You can make several tens of events all happened in one day (if it's plausible). And then at the ending, the protagonist would say "You won't believe what happened to me since this morning, what a hectic day". You can make the title like "One Day Heroes".
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

It's mainly limited by how many places or things your protagonist can do/go to in a single day. So that sort of thing varies widely and can be hashed out in an outline.

Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

#7 Post by Allegra Hughes »

*note* follow up question
I guess what I mean is, is it weird if you have 7 events in one day, and then 2 in another?
I'm writing a visual novel that isn't very consistent with events in a timeframe so :/

Thanks for all the responses so far!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#8 Post by Hazel-Bun »

I don't think so. Just like some days in life are hectic or and generally more exciting than others, having an in-balance in events from day to day wouldn't be to weird. I think what would be more werid would be if one day you went to fight a dragon after a series of epic quest... and then did nothing but work on cooking stats and laze around in a park.

Everyday doesn't have to be extraordinary but, on the very same hand depending on what genre your writing for, each days events shouldn't vary in substance to widely least you give the reader mood whiplash.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Chocopyro
Regular
Projects: Keepsake: Orison of the falling leaves
Organization: Patchwork Novels

#9 Post by Chocopyro »

Hmm, its not really weird to have inconsistency, so long as it doesn't feel too choppy. Games like Persona 3 and 4 definitely flowed faster on certain parts of the year and slower when the plot starts to get pretty thick. (Say, when the full moon gets closer and the tension builds, or when someone new is introduced into the story.)

I personally like break the stories into episodic story arcs. Like in an anime, where some episodes could be paced over several days, and other episodes could spend three episodes on the same day. I like to outline the "episode" before starting it. By analyzing the present situation at the end of a former arc, I ponder what events need to happen to reach the sub plot's conclusion. Once I know what happens, its easier to see the logical pace. "Well, these three days could probably pass quickly so I'll create some lighthearted quick paced filler events for them and create a contrasting gap between the last story and this one. But starting the fourth day, I'm going to want to drop some subtle hints and foreshadowing. Might be smart to have these three events happen here, and that will trigger this one tomorrow, which sets the stage for this to happen, ect."

In short, know what you want to happen, think of how you want it to happen, and think of how much time between each event you need before shifting the mood in a different direction. It could very easily be that comical event could fill an entire day with about 8 scenes where the characters are looking for a lost pet. Then after some fun character developement, the next day may feel like nothing really happens because you don't want to distract from an encroaching, more tense part of the story.
daikiraikimi wrote:^To me, Romeo and Juliette was a comedy.
Oh, I 100% agree. :lol:

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#10 Post by curry nochi rice »

I'm kinda sensitive to detail, so I'll admit this. :v one of my games is like only 3 days long in-game. Though one of my games have at least 30 days... though each day may not be dialogue-intensive since it's a dating sim... each day in my dating sim has like 10+ events though they're mostly optional, and are for raising stats.

p.s.
plan each day out, especially if you have more than one playable character.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.