Number of CGs

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
lemonokashi
Regular

Number of CGs

#1 Post by lemonokashi »

How many CGs do you want to see in a route? Is there such a thing as too many CGs? Would you prefer a cutscene over a CG?

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

Re: Number of CGs

#2 Post by chocojax »

The amount of CGs I'd like to see would just depend on the amount of important scenes there are in the route. I'm perfectly fine with seeing none/a fraction of those, though.

There is such a thing as too many CGs, in my opinion. If you have too much, it dilutes the impact of the more important ones.

I'd prefer a CG over a cutscene, but that's just because I've never played a VN with a cutscene instead of a CG. (Just seems pretty weird to me.)

Chocopyro
Regular
Projects: Keepsake: Orison of the falling leaves
Organization: Patchwork Novels

#3 Post by Chocopyro »

I've seen cutscenes work out pretty well in some some visual novels, like Rewrite for example. (Go ahead and look at the Yoshino song on Youtube if you want a fun example) XD

But yeah, I do prefer CGs. How many I would like to see? Well, at least one per ending. I'm not really picky when it comes to them. Infact whenever one pops up, I'm probably immersed enough in the story with the sprites that I don't really anticipate one. So I like the surprise. As choco (Darn, there's another choco. Now I can't use that nickname. o_o ) said though, there should be a balance. I don't always notice a lack of CGs, so I won't say games absolutely NEED them. But they definitely do a good job at highlighting a pivotal scene of a character's route, creating a memorable synergy between art and writing. So their presence is noted.

But as you throw more and more in, you kinda loose the magic of it. I mean I think you could get away with CGs more if you save the quality ones for the best parts, then have chibi styled CGs in a higher abundance if you really want you're game filled to the brim with CGs and you want to keep the impact of the ones that matter more.

I wish I could give an exact number. I can't. As far as I know, there's no real formula to figuring how many is appropriate to enhance the player experience. :\

rakada
Regular

#4 Post by rakada »

i think you only need CGs for important parts or the things that are hard to show in normal sprite. Like if someone start playing the guitar, seeing someone sleeping under a tree or a guy trip and fall into a girl etc. Situations that would be enhance from showing it in a cg rather then no cg, but they not needed for a game to be to a good game

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#5 Post by chocojax »

Chocopyro wrote:(Darn, there's another choco. Now I can't use that nickname. o_o )
Hahh, just go ahead and use it, man. I'm pretty sure people just call me chocojax. At least, if I remember correctly.
lemonokashi wrote:Would you prefer a cutscene over a CG?
Actually, scratch what I said earlier. Dangan Ronpa is a good example (or, the only example that I know of) which has good cutscenes, instead of CGs. They're really well done, and the music is great too, so. It's really weird to imagine DR without the cutscenes! So... it depends, but if the cutscene is really important and is well done, then yeah, I'd prefer it over a normal CG.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

I don't care. There could be 0 CG's or lots of CG's. There could be CG's or cutscenes. All that matters to me is that the author made decisions based on deliberate artistic choices.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978