Emma: A Lady's Maid [GxB/G][Steampunk Romance] DEMO OUT NOW!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

Re: Emma: A Lady's Maid [GxB/G][Romance][Steampunk Adventure

#16 Post by Steamgirl »

Thanks to amazing help from Greeny, who created custom choice code for Emma, the game options are now 200% more awesomesauce. :)

Greeny has really been an amazing help - check out Greeny's Ren'Py Services if your project needs some awesomesauce too!

---
Mad Harlequin wrote:You're probably right about that. At that point, neither of them has grown enough yet to realize the merits of the other. Your example reminds me of Jane Eyre, now that I think about it. If Jane had accepted Mr. Rochester's invitation to elope and be his lover, she'd be throwing away her honor and her common sense in pursuit of completely unrestrained passion.
Precisely! I think in a game it's important to give the player the option to throw away the protagonists honour or throw themselves onto a love interest too soon - it creates a more meaningful experience when you do decide to restrain passion.
Mad Harlequin wrote:I'm just as inexperienced, but I hope that, as the owner of a second pair of eyes, I'm able to help you in some way.
I am certain your insights will be incredibly valuable, Ms Editor!
Last edited by Steamgirl on Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#17 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Ooh, love the choice screen!

Damn and blast! I just realized that I made a disgusting error in my previous post. "Neither of them have" should be "has." I've gone back and corrected that now, but it's been immortalized in the quote. :oops: :lol: *hangs her head in shame*

Have you ever played any interactive fiction by Emily Short? She's really great about offering the player dialogue choices and actions to take in her work. I seem to remember seeing an interactive fiction version of Mr. Collins's proposal from Pride and Prejudice wherein the player, as Elizabeth, can choose how to respond to his silly overtures. I believe one can play from his perspective as well. I haven't played it yet because it's commercial, but I think I will pick it up eventually.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Steamgirl
Veteran

#18 Post by Steamgirl »

News - Release Date Delayed
I had to delay the release date of chapter 1 until next Sunday, as I underestimated the size of the chapter - and to be honest - added quite a few more choices. The current stats are 7,438 words and 29 menus (including tutorial) - a choice dense game with about 250 words per decision. Not bad, right? :)

On the upside - two endings have been implemented as a result of this, and they have taken me by surprise. One of them is a pretty "bad" ending, and the other is... Well I don't want to spoil it too much!

-----------------------------
Mad Harlequin wrote:Damn and blast! I just realized that I made a disgusting error in my previous post. "Neither of them have" should be "has." I've gone back and corrected that now, but it's been immortalized in the quote. :oops: :lol: *hangs her head in shame*
Don't worry I do that all the time! So I edited it out of history. ;)
Mad Harlequin wrote:Have you ever played any interactive fiction by Emily Short? She's really great about offering the player dialogue choices and actions to take in her work. I seem to remember seeing an interactive fiction version of Mr. Collins's proposal from Pride and Prejudice wherein the player, as Elizabeth, can choose how to respond to his silly overtures. I believe one can play from his perspective as well. I haven't played it yet because it's commercial, but I think I will pick it up eventually.
No, I haven't! But this sounds right up my street so I'll definitely have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Thanks for catching the mistake-that's-not-a-mistake. :lol:

I should note that most of Emily Short's work is free. You just need an IF interpreter. :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Cith
Regular

#20 Post by Cith »

A browser is all that's required for 'First draft of the revolution'.

http://lizadaly.com/first-draft/

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Yes, I know about that one, and you're right. :)
— Mark Twain

Steamgirl
Veteran

#22 Post by Steamgirl »

News - Release Date Delayed Again
Okay, Chapter 1 is definitely going over budget in terms of wordcount! I expected somewhere between 8-10k, but it's looking more like 12-15k. Then add the fact that I'm in crunchtime at my day job at the moment...

So the release date is moved yet again - this time to the 16th. However, I think I'm pretty close to finishing and if I work hard I might even do some additional art for the game. I'd like to make the front end menu prettier. :)

-----------------------------

@Mad Harlequin & Cith
Thanks for the recommendation & link! Very interesting read - great inspiration.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Mad Harlequin »

All right. I'm ready to go on the draft when you're finished. :)
— Mark Twain

Steamgirl
Veteran

Re: Emma: A Lady's Maid [GxB/G][Rom][Steampunk Adventure]

#24 Post by Steamgirl »

Update!

I am resuming work on this game, but I want to take it into a different direction.

1) I am scrapping huge parts that have already been written. The introduction of "the problem" was taking too long and the scope of the project grew to epic proportions - beyond control!
2) The original plan was to make the game episodic so I could release something every month. But with my current lifestyle, I think I'd rather write a single, larger, self-contained story.
3) It's going to be less Adventure and more Romance.
4) There are going to be less/different romance options.
5) The plot is going to change significantly. I'm not 100% sure yet how, but each romance option will have their own thread rather than being interwoven as originally planned.
6) Love interests will be introduced much sooner (currently they barely make it into chapter 1!)

But most importantly - this project is back in action!! Yay! :D

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

Re: Emma: A Lady's Maid [GxB/G][Steampunk Romance]

#25 Post by Laiska »

Ooh, congrats on getting back to this! Hit me up if you need any assist!

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#26 Post by Seigetsu »

I noticed that the female scientist part is crossed out...does that mean we don't get a female scientist as a romance interest? Personally, I'd be a little sad about that, because I was really looking forward to it...but anyway, glad to see that this is back in action. Best of luck to you!

Steamgirl
Veteran

#27 Post by Steamgirl »

Basic plot structure finished! Each of the elements has their own flow chart, so this is not really representative of choices you make inside the game or anything. Where the plot splits into four, it's basically a whole storyline with a specific love interest, where depending on your actions, you may or may not progress your romance with them. One of the four routes doesn't involve romance, so you can play through the game without pursuing any love interest, if you want. This route will build a friendship with Miss Eveline instead.
Laiska wrote:Ooh, congrats on getting back to this! Hit me up if you need any assist!
Hehe, thanks! :)
Seigetsu wrote:I noticed that the female scientist part is crossed out...does that mean we don't get a female scientist as a romance interest? Personally, I'd be a little sad about that, because I was really looking forward to it...but anyway, glad to see that this is back in action. Best of luck to you!
I wasn't sure about the female scientist (or any of the romances) when I decided on the overhaul, but now that I've come to grips with the plot she's firmly back on the radar! Watch this space!

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#28 Post by Seigetsu »

I wasn't sure about the female scientist (or any of the romances) when I decided on the overhaul, but now that I've come to grips with the plot she's firmly back on the radar! Watch this space!
That's good to hear. I was just reading through the backgrounds part of your introduction. Personally, I don't really care too much about backgrounds, but in the case that a single background might be a little bland, I think you can probably find some public domain or creative commons resources to use. I just did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.oldbookillustrations.com/

...not sure if this would be any use, but it'd probably be pretty easy to colour behind the line-art of these old, public domain illustrations for some simple backgrounds or objects to use for the game. Like the other person who commented above, I'd be happy to assist if you need it :D

Writer16
Regular
Projects: Shades (GXB/Romance/Short/Silly/Freeware)
Tumblr: my-allisondiamond-world
Deviantart: allisondiamond1

#29 Post by Writer16 »

Ooh, this looks nice. From what I've seen, the writing looks good, and the art looks wonderful. Decisions determine outcome? Count me in!
"You can fix anything but a blank page." -- Nora Roberts.

"An intelligent person can rationalize anything, a wise person doesn't try." -- Jen Knox.

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition." -- Abraham Lincoln.

Steamgirl
Veteran

#30 Post by Steamgirl »

Seigetsu wrote:That's good to hear. I was just reading through the backgrounds part of your introduction. Personally, I don't really care too much about backgrounds, but in the case that a single background might be a little bland, I think you can probably find some public domain or creative commons resources to use. I just did a quick google search and found this:

http://www.oldbookillustrations.com/

...not sure if this would be any use, but it'd probably be pretty easy to colour behind the line-art of these old, public domain illustrations for some simple backgrounds or objects to use for the game. Like the other person who commented above, I'd be happy to assist if you need it :D
Ohhh that's super duper useful, thank you! I will pillage what I can! :)
Writer16 wrote:Ooh, this looks nice. From what I've seen, the writing looks good, and the art looks wonderful. Decisions determine outcome? Count me in!
Ooh, thanks Writer! Welcome aboard! :D