NaNoRenO Cheat Sheet & FAQ

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
allurious
Regular

NaNoRenO Cheat Sheet & FAQ

#1 Post by allurious »

(note: I wrote this thread in response to discussion that there isn't really one centralized 'page' where you can go to get a good idea of what NaNoReNo is if you're not a member of the Lemmasoft/VN community. This is supposed to be a page where people can go to get an overview of the event info and some background, rather than piecing it together-- so please feel free to suggest any additions to this!)

What is NaNoReNo?

NaNoReNo is a month long game jam/event in which developers are challenged to make a visual or kinetic novel from start to (hopefully) finish, held primarily on the Lemmasoft forums. It was originally inspired by the more famous NaNoWriMo (National Novelist Writer's Month, which takes part in November).

What dates does it run from and until?

March 1st 2017 until March 31st 2017 - the whole month.

Do I have to sign up anywhere to participate?

No, you do not have to sign up to participate in NaNoReNo, though you will more than likely get more out of the experience by joining the Lemmasoft forums and sharing the journey with the fellow participants there!

Is there a prize or any sort of judging?

There is no prize or judging in NaNoReNo - the event is a challenge that the developers set themselves and the prize is the magnificent sense of gratification you get after finishing your final build at the end of March. Mmmm.

Why should I participate in NaNoReNo?

Sometimes we need a fire lit under our butts. It's hard enough to get through making a game from start to finish without a time limit, let alone with just a month to get through everything. Having a deadline will motivate you, help you prioritize your time, let you work on a project you know will be (again, hopefully!) finished by a certain point and let your explore something outside of what you usually do. The same reason developers participate in game jams, it's a bit of fun with some time management thrown in and if there's ever that one visual novel idea you've had lurking at the back of your head forever but never had the kick to go explore it - do it now!

I heard NaNoReNo used to only apply to ren'ai (romance) games. Is this true?

This was indeed true back when the event was young in 2006, but as it has progressed the rules no longer particularly apply and you are free to create whatever genre of visual novel you wish - not just bound to romance.

Where do I post my novel when I've finished it?

Feel free to post it in this subforum when you're done, though you can also have your own thread while you work on it as well. Post pictures, share what you're up to - the visual novel community is an extremely supportive one.

Other useful information

2017 NaNoRenO Recruitment Thread
Last edited by allurious on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

Re: NaNoRenO Cheat Sheet & FAQ

#2 Post by noeinan »

So, when we're finished we post the game in the WIP thread for NaNoRenO? :/

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3 Post by MaiMai »

Nah, completed games go in the Completed Games section and usually labeled with NaNoRenO [Current Year].
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#4 Post by noeinan »

Okay, cool. :) Thanks for clarifying.

Under "Where do I post my novel when I've finished it?" the word "subforum" links to the NaNoRenO WIP section, thus my confusion.

#5 Post by Guest »

Edited! (: Thanks for the clarification.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

Sticky'ed for usefulness.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

The Scribbler

#7 Post by The Scribbler »

Hmm, the Completed NaNoRenO 2013 list is just a very short list of the Otome games made last year, isn't it? The link title is a bit misleading worded as it is.

Author X

#8 Post by Author X »

I have a burning question: what does NaNoRenO stand for? I know it's based on NaNoWriMo but that actually stands for something. Where does the specific arrangement and capitalization of NaNoRenO (or NaNoReNo) come from? It's driving me crazy reading about it and looking at resources/games and not being able to expand it in my head, but I can't find the answer using google or looking through this forum.

Alte
The Great Organizer
Github: nualte
itch: alte

#9 Post by Alte »

Author X wrote:I have a burning question: what does NaNoRenO stand for? I know it's based on NaNoWriMo but that actually stands for something. Where does the specific arrangement and capitalization of NaNoRenO (or NaNoReNo) come from? It's driving me crazy reading about it and looking at resources/games and not being able to expand it in my head, but I can't find the answer using google or looking through this forum.
Description from NaNoRenO 2005.
NaNoRenO was inspired and modeled after the idea of NaNoWrimo (write a 50,000 word novel in 1 month) and NaNoMangO (make a 30 page comic in 1 month). NaNoRenO challenges developers to create and finish their own Ren'ai game within a designated month's time from concept to final product.
I assume it stands for National Novel Ren'ai. NaNoReNo where the third N capitalized could be a typo.
Ren'Py Cookbook Directory

I'm not affiliated with Ren'Py/ itch.io/ Steam/ etc.

Author X

#10 Post by Author X »

So it's modeled after NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and NaNoMangO (National November Manga mOnth) but doesn't actually stand for anything?

I guess that's as good of an answer as I'm going to get, thanks. (the origin does make more sense knowing it came from putting Ren'ai in NaNoMangO)

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#11 Post by Katy133 »

Author X wrote:So it's modeled after NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and NaNoMangO (National November Manga mOnth) but doesn't actually stand for anything?

I guess that's as good of an answer as I'm going to get, thanks. (the origin does make more sense knowing it came from putting Ren'ai in NaNoMangO)
Can't we just say that it stands for something else National (Visual) Novel Ren'py(-Writing) Occasion?
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

SparkyRailgun
Regular
IRC Nick: SparkyRailgun

#12 Post by SparkyRailgun »

You can say it stands for whatever you like, but that doesn't make it correct. :P

Author X

#13 Post by Author X »

Katy133 wrote:Can't we just say that it stands for something else National (Visual) Novel Ren'py(-Writing) Occasion?
Actually, that's fantastic, thank you! Very satisfied and feel better about the name now. Unironic gold star for you. (it does kind of make me want to call it NaVNoRenO, though)

korova
Veteran
Completed: Ivy, Chocolate, Time, Clair Obscur
Projects: Writing exercises, The House [Nano18]
Tumblr: korova08
itch: korova

#14 Post by korova »

A big doubt has just hit me.
For NaNoRenO, do you have to write your visual novel in english, or can you write in another language ? (and eventually translate it).
I ask because english is not my native language, so I write first in my language and translate afterwards, but writing and translating in one month might be overwhelming, not to say nearly impossible.

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#15 Post by Lesleigh63 »

korova wrote:A big doubt has just hit me.
For NaNoRenO, do you have to write your visual novel in english, or can you write in another language ? (and eventually translate it).
I ask because english is not my native language, so I write first in my language and translate afterwards, but writing and translating in one month might be overwhelming, not to say nearly impossible.
I don't see why you couldn't initially write it in another language (you may get less people playing it though until a re-release in english is available).