Protagonist's name?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
nefferinthia
Regular

Protagonist's name?

#1 Post by nefferinthia »

Would you say you generally prefer being able to name the protagonist, or them having a set name? Or do you really not care either way?

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: Protagonist's name?

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Don't really care either way. Unless it's otome (and even then only sometimes) I just go with the flow ^^ I care much more about the personality of the MC tbh.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#3 Post by Googaboga »

I always go with the default (if there is one) anyways. So either way is fine with me :3.

Having no default name is kind of a downer though :<. In those cases I just pick a random names that seems fitting or that I like.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#4 Post by Shinoki »

It depends on 2 factors:

1. Will there be voicing?

If so, a set name is good. After all, for the most part at least for me, I don't care about naming my character. It's nice to hear the girl/guy actually say my name even if it's a default name. It's still fine to have the person be able to choose a name, but well...that depends on the 2nd factor.

2. How much of a plot will there be? Or what type of game will it be?

Truthfully, it's nicer to have a choice of name if you're going to do a galge/otome game/dating sim.
But if it has a deep story and or background for your character--maybe not a good idea to have a name choosing thing.

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#5 Post by Steamgirl »

I don't really care about whether the name is already set or not, but if the game is replayable with different paths/romance options and character customisation for the protagonist, then sometimes it's nicer to adopt a different persona. :)

Juneberry
Regular
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Deadly Heart

#6 Post by Juneberry »

Depending on the game, having the ability to have a name choice is either good or just sorta 'there'. I think Shinoki explains it well- the type of game helps a lot to decide if it's really a good idea, and voicing can be a pivotal role in the choice as well. I play lots of games with voices, and if you can choose the name, it's mostly bit voicing and altering the text comparatively to avoid the name. If it's a simulation, though, that's fine. But for some otome games where there's a heavy story and a lot of background details and such, usually a set name is best, since you're basically trying to push that the person is playing a specific character, not themselves so much. But it really does depend...

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#7 Post by noeinan »

I also usually go with the default name when there is one. If I get to input a name, and there is no default or I think the default name is bleh, then I will sometimes input my own name-- but I honestly don't care that much.

Aileo
Regular
Projects: Unnamed short project
Organization: [ctrl] + minds

#8 Post by Aileo »

Doesn't really matter, but if the character that I am playing as is a blank slate, it would be nice to choose the name.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »

I'm only interested in changing the name if I can develop the character in strongly divergent directions. That way the name helps remind me what theme I was going for with that character.

nefferinthia
Regular

#10 Post by nefferinthia »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I've decided against having a changeable name, because my protagonist has a set personality and the choices you make don't hugely impact her at all.