Asher [Supernatural/Suspense/Urban Fantasy] NEWS, see last page

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

Re: Asher [Supernatural/Horror?/Urban Fantasy]

#16 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Okay! I got through 6 endings so far, but I'll give my feedback.

I loved this game.

Maybe because I am also a library assistant! But I don't get any interesting patrons like the ones in Asher, hahaha. The atmosphere was fantastic. I always had a feeling that someone (or something...) was out to get me. The music really fit the mood well, so props for that. I also applaud you for the monochrome scheme that worked wonderfully,
and made a huge impact when there was the presence of blood. Like Tetrine's nightgown soaked in it. I was like "AHHHH!"
I really enjoyed the banter between Tetrine and Kalevel too. Not that I ship them or anything who would do that what am I talking about lalalalalala
The Nell was fascinating. It's pretty cool that you can use it to travel, encode books, seal off demons, heal people, visit the dead, etc. It's kind of funny that Tetrine's brother knew more about it and was involved in demon affairs while she wasn't. I guess that was just to protect her.

The action commands were fun too. I kind of wish there were more of them, but maybe that would have distracted from the gameplay. Still fun though. Managed to escape Aya and Julius twice! Speaking of which, I actually liked Aya and Julius's characters, because of their "Bonnie and Clyde" dynamic. I wonder how they came to meet each other (since Aya is from a line of demon hunters, right?). They made great villains.

The ninth ending "Haunted" ending was amazing. In a good, scary way, because I was not expecting it. Especially the "NO NO NO" part. Freaked me out picturing our sweet, little Tetrine stumbling into a kitchen full of corpses. And some of those bodies were still alive.

It got hard for me to keep track of Asher's history, particularly all of the names of those who were affiliated with the Empress. I also go confused with the different family/demon lineage over who reigned/served/had special abilities the further the game went along.

Not sure how I feel about the first ending. Markiaus's feelings didn't seem fully reciprocated on Tetrine's part anywhere in the story. Maybe that's because of the memory erase thing, but it seemed a bit out of left field. I know it was meant to be vague...but it was almost too vague.

Lastly, the "fresh out of terror" line was classic.
Art:
Absolutely gorgeous. I don't think I can stress that enough.
Like the CG of Tetrine lying in the the pond was beautiful. You know, even though she was dying.
My only critique is that both Rosemary and Tetrine's clothes seemed to be a bit more polished than a few of the other sprites.

Technical stuff (original download, so not sure if fixed now?)-
- I can't access the Bonus screen? I get an error anytime I try to:
error message.jpg
- When Tetrine talks to Devne at her apartment after she dies, there is a line that reads "If I don't decided to work for Kalevel..." That should be "If I don't decide to work for Kalevel..."
- Kalevel's line when she first asks Tetrine to work for her repeats again after she changes her pose. I think after Kalevel changes her pose, it should only read "Don't answer me now. Come by soon."
-A minor thing (super minor!), but the url for the credits should be freesound.org?...freesounds.org takes you too...someone's empty site! Again, super minor.

On a semi-related note, have you read Jonathan Stroud's "The Bartimaeus Triology"? The line you wrote of "Demons and jinni were not all that different. Names had power of them, according to legend." It reminded me of the Bartimaeus book series because something along that said line is a crucial plot element. It's essentially centered around a young magician who (much to his later misfortune) summons a rather snarky djinn, and the whole plot kicks off because of the mishandling of names. The first book is called The Amulet of Samarkand, and is also an urban fantasy. I think you would enjoy it if you haven't read it already.

Speaking of names, where do the names of the cast derive from? I'm interesting in knowing since a majority of them has unique names.

Anyway, kudos! There is much more I want to say, but I'll save that for another play-through. A very beautiful game you made, so be proud!

Honest Critique

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#17 Post by ketskari »

Ferdokki wrote:I DID NOT KNOW IT WAS FINISHED AND RELEASED!!!!

aljsfioehwfoaiwhEIAFna238u41924803jr i24ntgjkjfefckasf@#$J%Q%!!!!

Must play it!!! Spring break is next week; hopefully I'll get some time to play it then. =)
Awesome xD If you wait a couple days to download you'll get a better version. Gah. :,(
Green Glasses Girl wrote:Okay! I got through 6 endings so far, but I'll give my feedback.

I loved this game.
Yay! So happy to hear that.
Green Glasses Girl wrote:Maybe because I am also a library assistant! But I don't get any interesting patrons like the ones in Asher, hahaha. The atmosphere was fantastic. I always had a feeling that someone (or something...) was out to get me. The music really fit the mood well, so props for that. I also applaud you for the monochrome scheme that worked wonderfully,
and made a huge impact when there was the presence of blood. Like Tetrine's nightgown soaked in it. I was like "AHHHH!"
ProjectTrinity did amazing music! I'm commissioning him for the next project (which will also be a story set in this world).

Asher was originally in color but I think the monochrome had much more impact.
Haha--yes! It's a slightly greenish grey, so it contrasts against the red as a complementary color, too, in a subtle way.

Green Glasses Girl wrote:I really enjoyed the banter between Tetrine and Kalevel too. Not that I ship them or anything who would do that what am I talking about lalalalalala
Haha xD They're a fun pair to write.
Green Glasses Girl wrote:
The Nell was fascinating. It's pretty cool that you can use it to travel, encode books, seal off demons, heal people, visit the dead, etc. It's kind of funny that Tetrine's brother knew more about it and was involved in demon affairs while she wasn't. I guess that was just to protect her.
Yes, Devne fancies himself a patriarch. Unfortunately, he's very seldom deserving of the role.
The action commands were fun too. I kind of wish there were more of them, but maybe that would have distracted from the gameplay. Still fun though. Managed to escape Aya and Julius twice! Speaking of which, I actually liked Aya and Julius's characters, because of their "Bonnie and Clyde" dynamic. I wonder how they came to meet each other (since Aya is from a line of demon hunters, right?). They made great villains.
As for the action commands, yes! I would love to add more (or lots) in the next project. I don't think they would distract as long as they had a purpose. For Asher they were more of an experiment.

Aya and Julius will be in my next VN, so we should learn more about them then. ;)
The ninth ending "Haunted" ending was amazing. In a good, scary way, because I was not expecting it. Especially the "NO NO NO" part. Freaked me out picturing our sweet, little Tetrine stumbling into a kitchen full of corpses. And some of those bodies were still alive.
Yay! That was one of my favorites to write.
It got hard for me to keep track of Asher's history, particularly all of the names of those who were affiliated with the Empress. I also go confused with the different family/demon lineage over who reigned/served/had special abilities the further the game went along.
Hm, that's good to know. I'll keep that in mind for the next project.

Perhaps it's helpful to note that few of the characters want to tell Tetrine the truth. Frequently, they lie or evade. And Tetrine, the POV character, is more familiar with the myths and legends... which are frequently wrong.
Not sure how I feel about the first ending. Markiaus's feelings didn't seem fully reciprocated on Tetrine's part anywhere in the story. Maybe that's because of the memory erase thing, but it seemed a bit out of left field. I know it was meant to be vague...but it was almost too vague.
Did you get this ending despite skipping the second dream? If so that may be an error. There is a LOT of additional dialogue between them that is only accessible if Tetrine has seen the dream. Otherwise... I don't know what to say. I spent a good day or so going back and trying to fix the vague-lack-of-reciprocation thing. Ah, well. Next time.
Lastly, the "fresh out of terror" line was classic.
Huzzah!
Green Glasses Girl wrote: Art:
Absolutely gorgeous. I don't think I can stress that enough.
Like the CG of Tetrine lying in the the pond was beautiful. You know, even though she was dying.
My only critique is that both Rosemary and Tetrine's clothes seemed to be a bit more polished than a few of the other sprites.
Thanks! xD And yes, much of the sprite art was done first, while I was still figuring out what the heck I was doing.
Green Glasses Girl wrote: Technical stuff (original download, so not sure if fixed now?)-
- I can't access the Bonus screen? I get an error anytime I try to:
error message.jpg
- When Tetrine talks to Devne at her apartment after she dies, there is a line that reads "If I don't decided to work for Kalevel..." That should be "If I don't decide to work for Kalevel..."
- Kalevel's line when she first asks Tetrine to work for her repeats again after she changes her pose. I think after Kalevel changes her pose, it should only read "Don't answer me now. Come by soon."
-A minor thing (super minor!), but the url for the credits should be freesound.org?...freesounds.org takes you too...someone's empty site! Again, super minor.
Thank you for pointing those out! I will definitely fix all of that in the next version. I also had no idea that some people couldn't access the bonus, since it worked on both the Windows/Linux computers I tested it on. Which OS do you use?
Green Glasses Girl wrote: On a semi-related note, have you read Jonathan Stroud's "The Bartimaeus Triology"? The line you wrote of "Demons and jinni were not all that different. Names had power of them, according to legend." It reminded me of the Bartimaeus book series because something along that said line is a crucial plot element. It's essentially centered around a young magician who (much to his later misfortune) summons a rather snarky djinn, and the whole plot kicks off because of the mishandling of names. The first book is called The Amulet of Samarkand, and is also an urban fantasy. I think you would enjoy it if you haven't read it already.
Names having power or influence over mythical creatures is common in mythology (Rumpelstiltskin, fairies, demons), and jinni is just another word for "demon." Names are definitely important here, too. But anyway--cool. xD So the answer is possibly? I've always loved to read. I'll look it up! :3
Green Glasses Girl wrote: Speaking of names, where do the names of the cast derive from? I'm interesting in knowing since a majority of them has unique names.
Some are from a made-up culture called Mevayre, others are corruptions of Celtic names and others are inspired by Roman names.
Green Glasses Girl wrote: Anyway, kudos! There is much more I want to say, but I'll save that for another play-through. A very beautiful game you made, so be proud!
Hey, thanks! I appreciate your feedback! Thanks for putting the time in for a lengthy response. :) And I'm very happy to hear you enjoyed it. In a couple of days (hopefully less) I should be able to sort out the bonus screen and other errors.
Last edited by ketskari on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran

#18 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

ketskari wrote:Which OS do you use?
I'm using Windows 8 Home Premium, 64-bit. It's weird because the Bonus screen actually loads, but then the error appears before I get a chance to click anything.

Hmmm...I'm still missing three more endings, so that might explain some of the questions I raised. :lol:

Honest Critique

ketskari
Veteran

#19 Post by ketskari »

@ Green Glasses Girl- Hm... that is weird. One person played it on Windows 8, but he might not have checked out the bonus. Anyway, 0.95 is up. Things should be fixed.... I hope. :)

Maybe!

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran

#20 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

^Whoops, I meant to say Windows 7. Not sure why I typed 8. I'll download the new version.
Last edited by Green Glasses Girl on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Honest Critique

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#21 Post by Googaboga »

Congrats on completing your project :]. I was looking forward to it. I'll let you know what I think when I have a chance to play C:
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

cool99

#22 Post by cool99 »

This game was amazing! :D It really grabbed my attention and well, I am ALMOST done.
I got all of the Marcus (I am not even going to try to spell his real name) endings. I have true death :shock: , escape :| , and haunting. :shock: I am having an extremely difficult time with one ending.(or endings that fall under one category) DO I have to be mean to everyone? Because escape and dying are my only choices if I am not with Marcus. :x Besides, even though this is a game I find it hard to be mean to anyone. :oops:
I loved the art, I don't know why but I just love the effect of colorlessness with red and green popping against the snow. :D I liked how the endings kind of let you imagine the outcome.
Like how (I hope I spell this right) the Markaius ending finishes with a kiss and then the credits. That way 1. the game was short and sweet(?) 2. It seems really romantic, I mean he got his girl back and everything is perfect. Meanwhile we all know that if the story went on then they would be running from place to place when people realize. :idea: "THEY ARE NOT DEAD!" Unless Markaius(?) decides to unleash some ultimate magic and destroy the shadow once in for all.
I think way too much.... Anyway, great game! *applause* :mrgreen:

ketskari
Veteran

#23 Post by ketskari »

Haha... xD here's your hint for the last ending:
You're right. Choosing more mean and violent options helps.
Part of the open-endedness is because I have more stories planned for this series, too. :)
Your comment made my day! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

@ Googabooga - Hey, cool. Looking forward to hearing what you think. :)

cool99

#24 Post by cool99 »

Woohoo! Thank you! I now have all of the endings, but why is something still locked? Do I have to click on something special? Sorry! I like getting 100% of the game, especially when the game is this incredible.

ketskari
Veteran

#25 Post by ketskari »

cool99 wrote:Woohoo! Thank you! I now have all of the endings, but why is something still locked? Do I have to click on something special? Sorry! I like getting 100% of the game, especially when the game is this incredible.
Hm... that doesn't sound right. Could you send me a screenshot of your bonus screen? My email is []. Or could you list everything you've unlocked except for the locked one? It could be a bug. Thanks! :)
Last edited by ketskari on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cool99

#26 Post by cool99 »

----------
Endings
Car
Asher Post
Soundtrack
River Nell song
Main Menu
----------
Thank you for trying to help!

ketskari
Veteran

#27 Post by ketskari »

cool99 wrote:----------
Endings
Car
Asher Post
Soundtrack
River Nell song
Main Menu
----------
Thank you for trying to help!
Ah-ha! I was wondering why nobody had mentioned the extra credits sequence. I think I found the problem, too. It will be fixed in the next update. Thanks for finding that for me! :)

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran

#28 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Downloaded the newer version. Bonus screen works perfectly. Awesome.

Oh, my goodness the art for the soundtrack screen is stunning~

Honest Critique

Shio_Fuu
Regular
Completed: Deadly attachment
Projects: My father's apprentice
Organization: Dotama Studio

#29 Post by Shio_Fuu »

I didn't get all the endings so far, but let me say that I already love it!
The game is just beautiful! The story is very intriguing, I hope you'll continue it!
You have a wonderful art style, it really suits the story perfectly. Some sprites and BGs are a bit less polished than the others, but it doesn't ruin the picture. I love the way you animated sprites and their poses, they're so creepy!
The music is very nice, but I especially loved the song. I think, you could make some kind of an opening or ending with it!
Image Image Image

ark99k
Regular

#30 Post by ark99k »

The art was amazing! The writing was perfect! Overall perfection!
Um, how do you get the bonus screen? Like cool99 I can't seem to get it, I have all of the endings and played it through again after downloading the game again.