The Memoirs of Genesis [NaNoRenO 2014] [GxB] [Fantasy]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

The Memoirs of Genesis [NaNoRenO 2014] [GxB] [Fantasy]

#1 Post by broken_angel »

- Click for bigger version -

"The Memoirs of Genesis," A Prequel
Fantasy Visual Novel - Freeware

Description
As the dust starts to settle following the rebellion, Zuleika must get used to her new position as Empress of Tyraca.
Unsure of herself, she seeks out the wisdom of the last empress, Lady Genesis, who helped to build the empire from the ground up and whose influence can still be felt in every corner of Egea.
What Zuleika finds is the loose pages of a journal long thought lost to time, written by the very woman herself, but as the angel begins to sort through them,
it becomes clear that the truth is nothing like the tales the bards sing.

The pages reveal the story of Ceres, a young priestess of Nalan dealing with being fathered by an outsider in the stoic and increasingly isolated society of the Nalani elves.
She finds a kindred spirit in Dimitrius, a shipwrecked sailor from Eliador, and they fall in love and even start a family together. Life is wonderful...until tragedy strikes.
Forced out of her homeland, the young Mother must embark on a long and epic journey across Egea to rescue her husband and avenge her son,
vowing to do whatever it takes to take back her home...even if she has to conquer half of Egea to do so.

--------------------------------------

"The Memoirs of Genesis" is a companion piece to the Memoirs of an Angel remake that is currently in production, and will probably be a lot more meaningful once I get around to finishing making that game (sorry, sorry), but it works as a stand-alone piece as well. It details the extraordinary life of Lady Genesis from childhood until death, as seen through her eyes. For fans of Memoirs, it offers a valuable look at the other nations of Egea (Nalan and Pyralis) that are only briefly mentioned in the main game, and gives important insight into the pasts and motivations of several characters, including the two main antagonists of the remake, Nefferon and Menorrhi.

Though there is romance (GxB), this is not a dating sim and there are no branching decisions. There's only the occasional dialogue choice and one major choice at the end which determines the "ending."
Also, it should be noted that since the game takes place more than a decade after Genesis' untimely death, it can be safely assumed that there are no happy endings here. Consider yourself warned.

Once the main game is released, Zuleika's scenes in this game will be updated so that they reflect the choices you made, like whether you spared Nefferon or who you romanced.

I'm doing all the writing, programming, and designing the GUI.
The writing is coming along really well! I expect that the finished game will have a playthrough length of at least 1-2 hours. It has 26 scenes/chapters and 4 "endings."

Thank you for your interest and support. To everyone else working on NaNoRenO projects, I wish you good luck~

EDIT 3/11/14: I finally have an artist, yay! Unfortunately, the likelihood of getting everything done in time for NaNoRenO is looking very slim, since the art assets are getting a ridiculously late start.
Ah well, lesson learned for next year. Expect this game to come out in a couple months instead.
Last edited by broken_angel on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: The Memoirs of Genesis [NaNoRenO 2014] [GxB] [Fantasy]

#2 Post by Googaboga »

Memoirs of an Angel was one of the first VNs I've played. I have fond memories of it. So I'm exited to learn more about the world :>.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

Re: The Memoirs of Genesis [NaNoRenO 2014] [GxB] [Fantasy]

#3 Post by broken_angel »

Googaboga wrote:Memoirs of an Angel was one of the first VNs I've played. I have fond memories of it. So I'm exited to learn more about the world :>.
Thanks!

I just finished the rough draft today (~20,000 words, but it's really rough, so I expect the final script to be at least twice that length) and I believe it'll be quite the epic tale with romance, adventure, and some badass ladies!

And yes, I am still looking for an artist. If you would like to look through the outline to determine if this is a project you would like to work on or not, just let me know and I'll be happy to send that your way.