Flight of Memory [Fantasy/Friendship] [KN] NANO14

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

Flight of Memory [Fantasy/Friendship] [KN] NANO14

#1 Post by MaiMai »

a kinetic novel collab from Paper Stars & DLS
STORY: This is a tale that takes place in a world where magic thrives and the strength of friendship is tested.

Brisa, a blackbird who can shapeshift into a human girl, has been traveling for a few months with her long lived warlock companion, Zephyr, a mysterious man who fulfills odd jobs around the continent with his magic. While she is content with wandering with her friend, Brisa still wishes to regain her lost memories since she cannot remember anything prior to meeting Zephyr. Their travels lead the duo to Whitehaven, a city on the verge of a conflict in which Zephyr will try to curb the massive damage that will most likely ensue. What Brisa isn't aware of is the unraveling of her past is about to play a part in the larger picture...
CHARACTER CONCEPTS
CHARACTERS:

BRISA: Our protagonist; a blackbird that can shapeshift into a human girl and suffers from missing memories. Brisa is a rather blunt and sharp-tongued individual who doesn't like staying still for long and prefers to keep herself busy. Her attitude and behavior towards most things can be described as childish although she's more observant than one thinks. She treasures Zephyr strongly as he was the one who freed her from captivity.

ZEPHYR: A warlock who seems to be well-known around the continent and goes around doing odd jobs that require a magic touch (or a big magic shove). He is sought after for his skills and due to the scarcity and elusive nature of magic users in general. Outwardly, Zephyr appears to be a cheerful and flirtatious goof all the while being a brother-figure to Brisa. The blackbird notes that sometimes he has a habit of not admitting what's really on his mind and seems to be suffering from some sort of guilt...

ANIL: A kestrel, who can shapeshift into a human like Brisa. Anil and Brisa first meet in Whitehaven and for some reason he recognizes her and is immediately suspicious of the blackbird and of Zephyr. He appears to be a loner, preferring to keep to himself and observe humans from afar instead of engaging with anyone. Beneath his cold and aloof behavior, there is something sage and even warm in Anil that starts to emerge as he gets to know Brisa, taking an interest in her friendship with Zephyr.

AND EVERYTHING ELSE
Story/Character Concepts by MaiMai
Writing by pyopyon
Art/UI/Programming by MaiMai

OKAY wow, haven't written a WIP thread in so long. This will be my first NaNoRenO and hell, the first project I'm putting significant work on in years along with pyopyon as the writer! I may need help on programming sooner or later, but everything else has a solid outline. Even if I don't make the time limit, I will use this year's NaNo to push myself into making this KN and will continue to do so even after NaNo ends. I'm happy to make VN art and I hope everyone else will enjoy this simple (sorta) story. As for WIP you can keep track of this thread or most likely you'll find sketches and in progress stuff on my Twitter and my art Tumblr.
Last edited by MaiMai on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

Re: Flight of Memory [Fantasy/Friendship] [KN] NANO14

#2 Post by pyopyon »

Whoo~ so excited to work on this project, as this is my first NaNoReNo as well.

Thank you for letting me be on board-- and I am extremely excited to begin working on this project straight away!
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Ophelia
Regular
Completed: tobag
Projects: Kajima

#3 Post by Ophelia »

Wow, a bird protagonist? I have to say, this sounds pretty awesome and I'm definitely looking forward to this!
How much of her as a bird will we see? :D

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

Goodness Brisa's sprite is lovely :0. And the premise sounds really great too :].
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

MaiMai
Yandere

#5 Post by MaiMai »

Ophelia wrote:Wow, a bird protagonist? I have to say, this sounds pretty awesome and I'm definitely looking forward to this!
How much of her as a bird will we see? :D
Quite a bit actually. I'll have to draw a separate bird sprite for her as part of the workload, but probably after I work on Zephyr and Anil's sprites.

MaiMai
Yandere

#6 Post by MaiMai »

Updating with content. Story writing will start tomorrow and Zephyr's sprite has been roughed out.

(fun fact, he is a very deliberate expy of an older character of mine :P )

MaiMai
Yandere

#7 Post by MaiMai »

Oops, another update, 95% done with Zephyr's sprite! I just need to do one more pose and several expressions, but I'm set to work on Anil next.
Attachments
[complete]vnzsprite.png

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#8 Post by sake-bento »

Ahh, so excited to see more work by you! The art looks lovely, and the plot sounds interesting. Looking forward to this. ^o^

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#9 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Saw this on tumblr and everything looks great so far ^^ Can't wait to play!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#10 Post by Mad Harlequin »

I have to say, I'm really looking forward to this. The concept sounds really interesting and fun (woo, a non-human protagonist!), and I love friendship stories.

Just a note: kestrel, not kestral.

I wonder how a bird of prey like Anil will get along with a tiny little blackbird. I'm expecting him to refer to eating her at least once---though of course he can't because they're both human. (I assume Brisa's and Anil's natural habits will still be present in some form.)

Best of luck with the project! :)
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

MaiMai
Yandere

#11 Post by MaiMai »

@sakevisual: Thank you for your kind words. Coming from you, they really mean a lot. :oops:

@Hazel-Bun: Thank you! It's been a while since I've done VN sprite work, but I'm doing okay so far, especially since I'm coloring only on one layer. (Expressions and the lineart are on different layers of course)

@Mad Harlequin: Oooh, thanks for catching that for me. See, this is why I need a writer.

And to answer your question, yes, some of their animal/natural habits are intact when in human form, but as for how it plays out... Well, it'll be interesting hopefully. c:

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#12 Post by pyopyon »

I've been astonishingly quiet for no reason--

As far as the question of using their natural habits in human form, for the most part you'll hear lot of language that a bird would be more familiar with from Brisa's end-- little things like calling human children 'fledglings' and the like. In addition, Brisa doesn't really eat seeds and insects in her human form because they're too small to be filling, but she does enjoy fruit regardless of what form she's in.

Although Anil is a bird of prey, he's not much bigger than Brisa is so I don't think he'll be eating her XD If anything Anil might have to more to worry about, since I read that female Blackbirds can be more violent then their male counterparts. Doesn't mean they won't peck on each other, though.

(pats self on the back)

In any case, it's pretty fun to write, haha!
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Applegate »

I am oddly interested in this, if only because I like the outfit Anil is sporting.

MaiMai
Yandere

#14 Post by MaiMai »

I'm having a little trouble figuring out Anil's color scheme, but things should get done today. :)

MaiMai
Yandere

#15 Post by MaiMai »

Just an update to let people know that this project is still on, but I haven't been able to do art assets due to putting university work as a priority over NaNo. I mean, only 6 days left, but there's nothing stopping me from working on this after NaNo is officially done. :P