Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#1 Post by Aleema »

Win The Game
Horror, Battle Royale/Hunger Games Sim, BxG Theme

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

HappyBackwards Presents ...
As the character Shinobu, put yourself into your very own Battle Royale-inspired murder game.
You will start the game with some food rations and a random weapon. You can get anything from a shoe to a flame thrower.
Try to kill everybody within the set time limit, or find if there's another way off the island.

Game features a simplistic battle system, inventory & map system, branched campaign with 3 endings, and is open source.

This game was designed to be a framework, and the campaign included is meant to be an example of what you could do. You are free to use the system to make your own stories.
Game is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial. For details on how you're allowed to use the files in the game, please read this post on our website.
The game contains 2,522 dialogue blocks, containing 25,095 words and 131,571
characters, for an average of 10.0 words and 52 characters per block.

The game contains 86 menus, 392 images, and 65 screens.
Download 97mb, .ZIP, Win/Mac/Linux

Thanks to everyone who helped me find bugs. I'm not sure the game will ever be bug-free, but we can try!

Warning: Not for children. I'm not into heavy gore or torture. You will find neither in this game, though you are welcome to do so in yours. There will, however, be uses of blood, extreme violence, and other adult themes.
Last edited by Aleema on Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

sorani
Veteran

Re: Win The Game [Battle Royale Sim]

#2 Post by sorani »

Wow this looks really cool! The GUI reminds me of Metal Gear Solid in the earlier games XD Thanks for making this open source, this seems like something really cool to look into~

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#3 Post by Arowana »

Oh god, I just spent the last half-hour playing this game instead of working on my report. This is incredibly well put-together and way, way too addictive. I'll try to give more detailed feedback once (if) I actually WinTheGame, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm loving it so far. :D

And major kudos to you for making the code open source! I'm a big fan of the survival game genre, so I'd love to see more games like this in the future.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#4 Post by azureXtwilight »

As a fan of battle royale, my inner psycho is squealing in delight. Thanks for making this an open source, you're so awesome Aleema!

Also haven't seen you in a while, this makes an awesome comeback :')

Btw I got an error at the start of the game where I first met my friend and agreed to find Mari:
Attachments
ScreenShot254.jpg

nijikomori

#5 Post by nijikomori »

Same here, I got an exception when I choose to apologize to Kenji instead of explaining the situation to him. :/ Had to click the 'ignore' button twice or thrice before the game continues. Just thought I'd let you know, hopefully I won't encountered any other exception. :)

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/campaign.rpy", line 264, in script call
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 473, in script
File "game/campaign_events.rpy", line 1203, in python
NameError: global name 'show_north' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\execution.py", line 294, in run
node.execute()
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\ast.py", line 464, in execute
renpy.exports.say(who, what, interact=self.interact)
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\exports.py", line 925, in say
who(what, interact=interact)
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\character.py", line 812, in __call__
self.do_display(who, what, cb_args=self.cb_args, **display_args)
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\character.py", line 678, in do_display
**display_args)
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\character.py", line 481, in display_say
rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='say', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\ui.py", line 237, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 1993, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 2119, in interact_core
self.compute_overlay()
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\display\core.py", line 1771, in compute_overlay
i()
File "game/campaign_events.rpy", line 1203, in cheat_overlay
if show_north and not north_loc.forbidden or show_north and sanity <= 20:
NameError: global name 'show_north' is not defined

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.17.1.309
Win the Game 0.6.6

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Aleema »

Try updating the game for the quick fix to that (should be a button in the config screen). I'm currently working on more bugs. I'll let you guys know when to update again.

Also, I'm aware of a saving bug where if you play the game for a while, your saves will no longer work (they will teleport you to the wrong point). No idea what's going on there.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#7 Post by SilverxBlue »

I've always loved Battle Royale and any forms of media that uses that theme, so I'm definitely giving this a go... and thanks so much for making it open source. *A*

Downloading it now~!
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

nijikomori

#8 Post by nijikomori »

Uhh, I've updated the game but apparently another exception occured. :/ This time's when I tried to go to House#1, after clicking the 'ignore' button, the next dialogue told me that I was trying to go to a forbidden zone (even though it's not).

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 790, in script call
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 608, in script call
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 586, in script call
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 616, in script call
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 544, in script call
File "game/engine/event_dispatcher.rpy", line 306, in script call
File "game/campaign.rpy", line 1408, in script call
File "game/campaign.rpy", line 1770, in script call
File "game/battle.rpy", line 284, in script call
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 620, in script call
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 612, in script call
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 735, in script call
File "game/battle.rpy", line 203, in script call
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 337, in script
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 337, in python
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 265, in python
File "game/engine.rpy", line 210, in python
File "game/engine.rpy", line 365, in python
File "game/engine.rpy", line 523, in python
AttributeError: 'RevertableList' object has no attribute 'drop'

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\execution.py", line 294, in run
node.execute()
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\ast.py", line 732, in execute
renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
File "C:\Users\user\Downloads\Compressed\WinTheGame-all\renpy\python.py", line 1358, in py_exec_bytecode
exec bytecode in globals, locals
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 337, in <module>
$ move_to_grid(east_loc)
File "game/2_locs.rpy", line 265, in move_to_grid
add_time(1) #Advance time 1 hour for traveling to a new grid location
File "game/engine.rpy", line 210, in add_time
attack_ai() #trigger bot actions
File "game/engine.rpy", line 365, in attack_ai
showdown(guy1,guy2)
File "game/engine.rpy", line 523, in showdown
guy2.item.drop(char=guy2)
AttributeError: 'RevertableList' object has no attribute 'drop'

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1
Ren'Py 6.17.1.309
Win the Game 0.6.8

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#9 Post by SilverxBlue »

Found a bug as well, when I decided to help Asai.
Attachments
traceback.png
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Aleema »

nijikomori wrote:Uhh, I've updated the game but apparently another exception occured. :/ This time's when I tried to go to House#1, after clicking the 'ignore' button, the next dialogue told me that I was trying to go to a forbidden zone (even though it's not).
When you say "ignore" button, what do you mean? (there's only one button called "ignore" in the game and I'm not sure that's what you're talking about)

I fixed what that traceback error was talking about, but I think I need more info about getting the FZ warning.

nijikomori

#11 Post by nijikomori »

Aleema wrote:
nijikomori wrote:Uhh, I've updated the game but apparently another exception occured. :/ This time's when I tried to go to House#1, after clicking the 'ignore' button, the next dialogue told me that I was trying to go to a forbidden zone (even though it's not).
When you say "ignore" button, what do you mean? (there's only one button called "ignore" in the game and I'm not sure that's what you're talking about)

I fixed what that traceback error was talking about, but I think I need more info about getting the FZ warning.
When an exception occur, there are four buttons available. 'Rollback', 'Ignore', 'Full Traceback', and 'Quit'. If you click the rollback button, it will roll back the game to the point before the exception occured, the ignore button is to 'ignore' the exception and resume the game, full traceback button to show the traceback in a .txt form. I always click the 'Ignore' button whenever an exception is occured though. :/

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Aleema »

OH, yes. Of course, that's what you were talking about. Haha, sorry. Thank you. New update is uploading ...

iamarobot

#13 Post by iamarobot »

This game is awesome and I absolutely love it, but it's currently unplayable for me. When I try to load a save, it loads a completely different save file, and will only load that specific file, no matter if it's a auto save or a file I had previously saved myself. Other than that I couldn't figure out how to
give Jun a different weapon
, but I wasn't sure if that was an error or I just derped. I really hope this can be fixed because this is so cool! Thank you for making this great game. :)

Ophelia
Regular
Completed: tobag
Projects: Kajima

#14 Post by Ophelia »

Yes! My dream came true! I love Battle Royale!

Tetsuo's sentences when there is someone else around are too long for the textbox.

Also,
When I kill Ai with Hitomo watching and it's sad that she flees in terror and I cross the bridge, she's suddenly there and friendly. Probably not intended?

When I move the boat and want to pick up an item again, it says I need to drop something even though I only have 3 items. Ah, no, okay, it just didn't show the boat. I guess there's no way to drop it?
This game is really amazing and fun. Had two runs, but wasn't really successful. I'll try again later, when I have more time because the savefiles aren't working. :D

@iamarobot: It works, but you have to click on "change item" and not weapon. Oh, no, my mistake, it really doesn't work with Jun. Works with the classmate though.

Minor thing:
When Takeshi dies and you discover the boat after, Shinobu thinks about telling him about it, which isn't possible.
Oh and:
Earlier I left Jun and Mari at the bridge, went south to get rid of that guy with the GPS tracker, after I got the message that Ai went north, I went north, killed Ai, Hitomo went on the bridge in horror, she led me to the bathhouse but all this time there was no reaction from Jun and Mari who've been there.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Aleema »

I fixed most of the errors that you guys have mentioned. At least, I hope I did.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the save problem is because of the quick buttons on the items overlay. I've removed these buttons, so now all using/equipping of items should happen in the Items screen. I know this is less convenient, but it's worth it if it fixes the problem.

Could someone play the newest version of the game and tell me if the save problem still occurs? I can't reproduce it, but I don't know if I'm just not triggering it.